A959b upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean p

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi I just have a quick question will this setup
With this motor 2845 6550KV Brushless Motor Shaft Diameter 4MM Connector 3.5MM for 1/12 1/14 Scale On-Road Buggy Monster RC Car and this esc TSKY 120A 1/10 1/8 6v ESC Senseless Brushless/Sense Brushless RC Car Part and this battery ZOP Power 7.4V 2000mAh 95C 2S LiPo Battery T Deans Plug for RC Car and this transmitter DumboRC X6 2.4GHz 6CH FHSS Radio Transmitter Support Gyro Sensitivity Adjustment with X6FG RC Receiver for JJRC Q65
MN-90 RC Car Boat Tank Model Parts how. Get me to speeds 70mph on my a959b?

geared correctly sure.wont run at that speed for entire pac but will do your wanted speed for short runs...get a gps so you know you hit your wanted speed.

geared correctly sure.wont run at that speed for entire pac but will do your wanted speed for short runs...get a gps so you know you hit your wanted speed.
Why will it only do it for short runs? And what do you mean geared correctly? Like metal gears? I’m new sorry.

70MPH is unbelievably fast for a 1/18th scale RC. I wouldn't personally recommend trying to tackle a project like this to someone new to the hobby. You're likely going to have to do some motor mount modifications to get a big enough pinion to fit, although you could get lucky (I don't know that rig, so I don't know right off the top of my head). I'd recommend a FlySky GT3b over a Dumbo radio every day of the week. A 120A ESC is likely going to be hard to cram inside such a small RC. Also, it won't run for more than a few passes at a time because the motor, and possibly other electronics, will overheat quickly if it's geared high enough to hit 70+MPH. How many runs you'll get in before you have to let the rig cool down is hard to say. You'll need an IR temp gun to keep tabs on heat in between runs.

your a new person to rc .and your goal is 70 mph in a 1/18 scale .possible but like grey said youll have to let the Electonics cool down.
I put a direct drive 540 in a 1/18 scale it was a 8 turn dual wound brushed motor .with 4 A 123 batts (14.4 volts .with a tekin esc 420.it hit 83.then the tires exploded and that was the end of the entire rig
high speeds are possible but you better do some research on all thats on it.

Welcome to the site. Love the husky.

70MPH is unbelievably fast for a 1/18th scale RC. I wouldn't personally recommend trying to tackle a project like this to someone new to the hobby. You're likely going to have to do some motor mount modifications to get a big enough pinion to fit, although you could get lucky (I don't know that rig, so I don't know right off the top of my head). I'd recommend a FlySky GT3b over a Dumbo radio every day of the week. A 120A ESC is likely going to be hard to cram inside such a small RC. Also, it won't run for more than a few passes at a time because the motor, and possibly other electronics, will overheat quickly if it's geared high enough to hit 70+MPH. How many runs you'll get in before you have to let the rig cool down is hard to say. You'll need an IR temp gun to keep tabs on heat in between runs.
Thanks for the recommendations. And yes I Know it’ll be challenging but I what a challenge. And also what do tog mean by geared correctly like mettle gears or what? And when you mean it won’t last long is because the battery will die easily and fast?
But the setup I did state will work correct?

What do you mean geared correctly?
W
what do you mean geared high enough?
your a new person to rc .and your goal is 70 mph in a 1/18 scale .possible but like grey said youll have to let the Electonics cool down.
I put a direct drive 540 in a 1/18 scale it was a 8 turn dual wound brushed motor .with 4 A 123 batts (14.4 volts .with a tekin esc 420.it hit 83.then the tires exploded and that was the end of the entire rig
high speeds are possible but you better do some research on all thats on it.
What do you think the max mph should be for a 1:18 scale car without any troubles?

Last edited:
what ever the manual says it can do.minus a few mph.. a 1/18 scale is no speed demon. and upgrade parts on the rc you chose are few to non.
this i a 1/6 scale rc i have 3 grand into .it will do 162 mph for about 8 seconds

yellow.jpg

70 in a 1/18 no way…… build an lcracing lc12b1, it will do about 30-maybe 40, way too fast for that small of a car. That should tickle your fancy.
my 1/10 and 1/8 scale stuff probably dont even hit 55, and they are plenty fast. Are you looking to build a speed run type of car.
The reference Of gearing is pinion and spur gear tooth count. If you are new you should do some research on these topics. We are here to help, but you have to be realistic, so start with some research, we will help you though.
Ditch that deans plug, it probably isn’t a true deans plug that could handle that discharge rating of that battery if the battery really has those ratings.

Last edited:
Ok I just read your other posts about this car. Don’t even bother trying to hit 70 on this thing. Just fricken drive it like it is until it breaks and then MOVE ON to better platforms. This is my honest and unbiased opinion as someone that started just like you completely unaware of all the little things it takes to make A wltoys car do things it was never designed to do. Just don’t even bother, seriously. I’m trying to help you, save you money, grey hair, etc. you were confused on soldering…… leave the gearing alone. However I beleive you will have more fun leaving it alone. Then, figure out your budget for your next car. About 150 was your budget so I still say the Hypergo is for you.
You can ask me anything and I’ll help you, just save the money and leave it alone, chances are gearing won’t be easy to change. If you over power it with a bigger or faster motor you will destroy the drivetrain. The tires wont withstand those speeds anyway, wheel fitment will probably be tricky depending on the wheel hex size….. there’s so many wltoys variables and I’m probably making your head spin.
This 1/12 scale platform is almost as fast as my 1/10 scale stuff….. very easy to build and budget friendly…..just about twice your budget but absolutely zero upgrades needed. If this thing did 70mph I would probably not want to drive it, out of pure fear of breaking it every time I did drive it.
IMG_4569.jpeg

Cool car but unnecessary, look up the prices of those electronics, is this what you really want to do? I can’t even see the thing out that far!

Last edited:
Ok I just read your other posts about this car. Don’t even bother trying to hit 70 on this thing. Just fricken drive it like it is until it breaks and then MOVE ON to better platforms. This is my honest and unbiased opinion as someone that started just like you completely unaware of all the little things it takes to make A wltoys car do things it was never designed to do. Just don’t even bother, seriously. I’m trying to help you, save you money, grey hair, etc. you were confused on soldering…… leave the gearing alone. However I beleive you will have more fun leaving it alone. Then, figure out your budget for your next car. About 150 was your budget so I still say the Hypergo is for you.
You can ask me anything and I’ll help you, just save the money and leave it alone, chances are gearing won’t be easy to change. If you over power it with a bigger or faster motor you will destroy the drivetrain. The tires wont withstand those speeds anyway, wheel fitment will probably be tricky depending on the wheel hex size….. there’s so many wltoys variables and I’m probably making your head spin.
This 1/12 scale platform is almost as fast as my 1/10 scale stuff….. very easy to build and budget friendly…..just about twice your budget but absolutely zero upgrades needed. If this thing did 70mph I would probably not want to drive it, out of pure fear of breaking it every time I did drive it.
View attachment 178440

Cool car but unnecessary, look up the prices of those electronics, is this what you really want to do? I can’t even see the thing out that far!
Thanks for the advice but I’m going to go with a faster wltoys that goes fast out the box and if j want more just upgrade the battery

Ok, but after that, no more wltoys. Ask me how I know …..
You’ve had many huh? But honestly they aren’t that bad I have one from 7 years ago and still up and running perfect

Back