Project: Tortuga!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, looks like that cover comes off to access the gears.

Last edited:
Boom.
Screenshot_20240224_153744_Chrome.jpg

Hey everyone! Got some updates.
Took everything apart. The driveshaft and pinion gears are buried way under everything else...
20240227_174443.jpg

But I found the culprit..
20240227_174529.jpg

Thats the front gear but the rear has some damage as well. (Who knew plastic from china would be so cheap???)
But I've got them coming from Amazon. So... fingers crossed everyone.

Now then.. the shell...
We all know what it looked like before, right?... no? Well then just scroll up, man... I don't know what to tell you 😆

ANYways... heres what we're rocking now...
20240228_103836.jpg

I've stolen many parts from the original shell as well.. now I've got lights on top. Front and rear..
20240228_103905.jpg

If you'll notice I also stole the "interior" of the last shell.. just to have something inside the cab of Gypsy.
It also comes with the side benefit of these rad little bars here...
20240228_103922.jpg

So now the question is where do I go from here?
I'd like to actually tub out the bed and make it an actual truck. But it wouldn't be very square or deep with the way it sits on the body of the car.
So I'm considering just a flat sheet to mount the spare tire to. If not flat... then maybe angled a bit in order to set the spare a little lower down in the car.
Also got my color pallet picked out as well..
20240225_144130.jpg

Soooo yeah.. think that's it for now.

What do yall think??

20240228_103846.jpg

20240301_114855.jpg

Thinking that I need to swap out the darker steel color for the lighter silver color.
That way there's not too much of a contrast. Brighten it up even more!
i want you to to have wear sunglasses when you look at it. Lol. 😎

Alright.. so guess what... the replacements are SUCH an upgrade!... check it out:
20240305_132430.jpg

20240305_132456.jpg

20240305_132509.jpg

They are longer. But believe it or not they work great! This will mean that the only plastic left will be on the driveshaft. But that's ok. I figured I need a stress joint and I'd rather replace a plastic gear than deal with a stripped metal one. 😒
Anyway.. they did come kinda hard to turn.. I opened them up and they just had too much of the wrong kind of grease. So I replaced that. Now they work like a dream. I threw some moly 60 paste on everything. That should work pretty well.

So you knew it was coming. It's question time! 😁

So here is the stock motor:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosim-Motor-HQ12-038-Accessory-Spare/dp/B0C8NLL1XF

If you wanted to upgrade this car to a 3s lipo. Which motor would you get? Do I need a new esc too?

Thanks for the help, fellas
Cheers 🍻

The motor you linked does not have any info to tell ya how fast it is, what the pinion is, or what the motor can size is. So recommending a replacement motor is hard to do. I am guessing that is a 380 size can motor. But no idea what kv to recommend. You will also have to figure out what the tooth profile is. I would guess 48p, but not sure, as some of these Chinese brands use their own tooth profile. It would be a guessing game.

And 3s is more than likely going to put a huge strain on everything. You have upgraded the gears, but everything else might not handle it.

The motor you linked does not have any info to tell ya how fast it is, what the pinion is, or what the motor can size is. So recommending a replacement motor is hard to do. I am guessing that is a 380 size can motor. But no idea what kv to recommend. You will also have to figure out what the tooth profile is. I would guess 48p, but not sure, as some of these Chinese brands use their own tooth profile. It would be a guessing game.

And 3s is more than likely going to put a huge strain on everything. You have upgraded the gears, but everything else might not handle it.
Hmmm... very well, Sensai. 😁
So just stay with the 7.4 batteries. Check

Ok.. school me if you don't mind, sir...
380 size refers to what? Amd I'm assuming that means a 4000mah battery?