NitroRC4Life's SCX-10 Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroRC4Life

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, so i traded my slash 4x4 to HPI-Killer for his SCX-10 Trail Honcho. It should be here either tomorrow or thursday. For now the stock electronics will be fine. But soon I am gonna want to upgrade to the Team Tekin system. My only question is, is the 45T too slow for scaling and more geared towards like crawling. I dont wanna go to slow, but I'm not looking for speed, just enough to blip the throttle if I get stuck so i can get out of it.

Also, I definitely want the Tekin FXR esc. I have read nothing but good about this esc, and a guy on youtube "DJMedic" uses this on all his scalers. Should I just buy this system for the scx:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...kin-FXR-T45-ESC-Motor-Rock-Crawling-Combo-45T

or should I pair the Tekin FXR esc with a different motor? I'm new to this, and dont really have any experience with these types of motors.

Nothing wrong with the fxr but Id suggest a sidewinder,mamba or Holmes hobby BR-xl first. You can get a br-xl in a water proof version too.

Then just pick up a 35t integy motor and your set.

If you get a Losi xxx-sct instead in the mail let me know. He mailed my stuff the same day, lets hope he didnt mix them up, seems to have some trouble figuring out which tracking number was mine. :)

Nothing wrong with the fxr but Id suggest a sidewinder,mamba or Holmes hobby BR-xl first. You can get a br-xl in a water proof version too.

Then just pick up a 35t integy motor and your set.

So integey makes good scaling/crawling motors? Just not RC parts haha.

Yes Integy motors are pretty much the most popular off the shelf crawler motors available. Their are way better handwounds but they will run alot more. The integy's work great and take a beating.

Are the integy motors waterproof?

Its not technically water proof but they work fine running in water, no problem. You might take it out and clean it after words.

And there pretty cheap so I could always pick up a new one if it breaks.

I ran a 19t on the 45t and it kept up with the other 35t scalers just fine but was pinned doing so. i would go 35t with a 16t pinion on it then upgrade your driveshafts. Ill be keeping an eye on this thread :D

Yea I definitely want to go with a 35t motor. I hope this weekend I can order a bunch of cool stuff for the truck.

If I may throw my .02 in the mix, I would start with all your "weak" points of the truck, lockouts, c-hubs, MIP Shafts & put the aluminum steering knuckles that is coming with it on. Only thing is you will either have to reverse the beadlocks on the wheels or dremel the humps on the inner part of the front so the wheel can turn with the knuckles on.

You can see how the knuckle is intended for a 2.2 wheel but was told reversing or dremeling will allow them to fit.
P1060660.jpg

Its here! Its here!

Sneek Peak
15315418.jpg

The body :)
b8bea12e.jpg

Drumroll Please................

61ba425d.jpg

And then some extras that came with it..
af6bfd32.jpg

So far I'm very pleased with how clean the truck is, and i can't wait to get it running soon. My only question right now is the front has no articulation at all. It looks as if when i go to compress the shocks, the servo horn is hitting the frame. Is this normal, or is something not right? Heres a pictures to show whats happening:

fce231c6.jpg

Okay, answer to the question, 2 days before I shipped I took her on her final voyage on the rocky mountains, and decided to extend the 3-link with a tiny little aluminum tube which you will see at the Y of the link, I did this thinking I could pull up the driveshaft but pushed the front of the axle outward causeing the servo to catch on a brace on the chassis. Removing that little silver spacer will bring the axle back to the default position allowing it to articulate properly again, I totally spaced on telling you until you mentioned it. Also, that spare foam was inside the spare tire but was only using the spare as a decoration to mount up to fill out the bed more, so dont rin that spare with the flat iron on it until you replace that foam lol. Looks great though hope you are satisfied! can't wait to see where the truck goes from your hands on!

I run the integy 55t crawler motor, on 3s lipo matched with a mamba maxx esc. Stuffed the ESC in a condom, ziptied it shut, and pumped a lil silicone where the wires come out, and it is waterproof.

Thanks Hpi killer, I'll fix that today. And Alpine, I think I'm gonna go with an integy 35t with a holmes hobby waterproof esc.

jeese seeing your rig I can't wait for mine to come in although mine is comein with a bronco top on so I am going to get a new top right off..

So, I need a new battery for the truck. Anybody have any suggestions?

whats the best battery to run in these??? I am thinking of buying a spare or 2 before I get it..

If you do a diff esc right off the bat I would throw a 5000 or as big of a 2s or 3s lipo in her and run for hours because the battery tray doesn't really affect the ability to crawl with all the weight in the tires

Back