SCX-10/JK Upgrades

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamz9561

Proud Short Bus Rider
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got the RC4WD 2-Speed transmission and servo in yesterday and started doing the upgrade. The transmission slipped into place of the original easily and was easy to mount the servo to the case as well.

It seems that the original SWB version of the SCX-10 doesn't quite have the length in the front to accommodate both the 2-Speed and the MIP Splined CVDs so I had to order 5mm longer upper and lower links. I also ordered in a hard-anno servo arm for the Savox that I got for the conversion. The parts should be in the first part of next week, so I'm waiting for those to finish the project.

In the meantime, I rebuilt and cleaned up both axles.

Interesting, this is the plan I have for my G6 kit, when I can dedicate funds to it! or decide its outcome.

What's the case made out of?

It's CNC'd aluminum that's done right.

Unfortunately, the MIP Splined Center CVDs won't fit on the front of the original SCX-10 with the RC4WD 2-Speed even with the links extended more than 6mm over stock. Arrghhh!

It looks like I'm going to have to use the stock drive shaft on the front for now.

I also got the Sidewinder 3 installed and the RC4WD Wireless Winch controller installed and running.

We need a video, I want to see that two speed in action!

I still have some work to complete before it's trail ready, but I'll do what I can.

I tried to do a test with the rig and ended up getting smoke out of the 3s LiPo I was using when I plugged it into the Sidewinder 3. Also found that the spur was rubbing on the rear CVD.

It looks like I need to go back into my LHS and pick up a smaller pinion and spur as well as a new LiPo pack.

Last edited:
Made another trip to the LHS today and got a smaller pinion and spur, so that they don't rub on the MIP splined CVD. Also picked up a new 3s battery.

Tried to get things ready for a test run and magic smoke started coming out of the Sidewinder V3.

Gotta go back to the LHS and see what they can do about the ESC.

It sucks to be me today.

Last edited:
I got home from my LHS a bit ago and am thoroughly disgusted with level of support offered to them (the good guys at the LHS) by Castle Creations. They are saying that if your vehicle set up is not listed on their site (or in their literature) it's not covered by warranty.

This is crap. I am really pissed right now. :angry:

I'm replacing a Dynamite Fuze Brushless 5700kV system with the CC Sidewinder V3 4600kV 4-pole set up. I did it so it was water proof and I could go and play in the mud and dust and dirt. The old system worked fine.

The only thing that I think that I'm going to do is to go ahead and use the Mamba Monster that I purchased from another member on here as it's replacement. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I would bypass the LHS and call Castle myself. It is clearly listed on the Sidewinder 3 page that your intended use falls under their criteria;

The Sidewinder 3 is a great fit for 1/10th off-road, on-road, and rock crawlers running up to 3S LiPo. It sports updated circuitry for faster response time and improved reliability. As always, the Sidewinder 3 offers industry-leading software functions and USB programming capability via Castle Link USB adapter (sold separately).

So either the LHS guys are trying to hose you out of $80, or they got ahold of an idiot at Castle on the phone, or someone having a bad day. Either way, as stated, I'd call them myself and state it was being ran in a crawler on 3s lipo.

EDIT: I will add that with the 2 speed, the 4600kv is pretty high unless you gear way down since high gear is a much higher ratio than what the stock trans gear ratio was at.

Last edited:
I geared it down a couple of teeth on the spur to keep the MIPs from rubbing on it. I'll go ahead and give them a call tomorrow during their business hours. Thanks for the clarification. I think the guys got a hold of a minimum wage rep there. The guys at the LHS have been in the hobby longer than I have (I started playing with RC stuff in the early 1980s) and always try to do right by me (they offered a direct replacement on the spot if I would handle the RMA myself through CC).

Last edited:
If you dropped teeth on the spur, then you have an even higher gear ratio vs stock. I'm running 12/60 on my AX2 with a pro4 3300kv in the Wraith and it keeps the motor and ESC happy temp wise. But YMMV

It's got a 14/58 on it right now. It came with a 16/60.

I took the cut-off wheel and the grinding stone to the front CVD and cut a 3mm section off of the inner portion and managed to get it to fit without binding and no loss of strength.

I just have to get the Mamba Monster that I had purchased for my Revo 3.3 conversion (that has stalled due to a lack of funds/interest) installed and calibrated and I'm ready to try to get it running.

Bought a Mamba Max Pro and got it ready to run. It should be able to handle 3s no problem since it's rated up to 6s. Also went ahead and set the drag brake to 50% and bumped the BEC to 6v from 5.5v. Damn did soldering the Dean's on it suck though.

When ever I solder Deans plugs I always use a 3rd hand tool and plug the male and female together to keep the plugs lined up, in the past I have had post shift in the plug housing because they got to hot, works like a charm every time.

Same here after struggling the first few times I did the soldering.

Spent the day masking the new shell and getting the painting supplies. I got my package in from RPP and got to work on cutting out the chassis floor pan and the interior from Pro-line Racing. I got the headlight buckets glued in and am starting to solder the lighting wiring harness for the chassis (again).

I'll try and get some pics posted up shortly of the progress.

EDIT: Here's the kit I bashed for the headlight buckets. I'll use the red LEDs from this kit in the rear bumper on the chassis:

TRA3686-2T.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got enough done to show some progress on the new shell.

Showing a little flex:

20140511_135634_zpscqr535hk.jpg

Front view:

20140511_135610_zps9qc5tfqx.jpg

Close up for a better look at the rifle rack:

20140511_135649_zpsdehwea9d.jpg

Rear showing taillight details:

20140511_135723_zpsonlc0ylm.jpg

The passenger side showing the pioneer tools and the Warn hubs:

20140511_135541_zps0vmhsw18.jpg

I'm still working on the concealed body mounts so the lid is just sitting on the chassis. I'll get some better shots showing the interior a bit later.

Last edited:
Back