My Arrma Outcast 8s EXB V1 Build Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJSRCLIFE

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello everyone, I hope you all are having some great times with your families and with your R\C's this holiday season and looking forward to another new year that will soon be upon us. I have here a build thread for my Arrma Outcast 8s EXB V1 Roller i bought the truck during the Christmas in July sale for $400 i took a few months for me to save up for the parts needed to build it up. But here she is although i plan to eventually put better electronics in her someday like a Max 5 G2\56118SD 800KV combo and maybe a better servo someday i just built her to budget spec and with what i had lying around I hope you all like the build so far and can't wait to see more. Btw this was my first Arrma vehicle ever as well as my first vehicle to be compatible with 5th electronics out of the box.
20230715_121153.jpg

Here's the brand new in box truck i got directly from Horizon Hobby and no i wasn't charged twice for the order or it got delayed a ton i got the truck within a week after ordering it.
20231222_162542.jpg

Here's when i started building her up she got a Firma 160A V2 ESC straight from the new Outcast 8s BLX EXB RTR, An 1,100kv 5687 Hobbywing motor i originally bought for my X-Maxx but chose to put it in this truck for now until i can afford to put in something better and more powerful. I also bought a 24 tooth Mod 1 Safe-D8 Arrma pinion gear which i have grown to love the Safe-D series pinions from Arrma\Horizon Hobby i used them on my X-Maxx and this Outcast i have here. For the Servo i bought a Power-HD 65KG 1\5 scale servo since the EXB roller comes with two servo\electronics boxes for 1\6 - 1\5 size servos. And lastly is the radio system i'm running a Radiolink R8FG V2.1 8 Channel FHSS V2 2.4Ghz Receiver bound to my new favorite radio the Radiolink RC8X.
20231222_172729.jpg

Here she is completed with the body i ran her last night for a couple of minutes due to the fact i didn't charge the batteries up to full charge and i didn't want to destroy\ruin my only pair of 4s batteries. But she ran awesome i did have to adjust my gear mesh a little bit since it felt a little tight but after that she ran great and tons of punch even with close to stock gearing and stock ESC punch settings.
20231222_172748.jpg

Here's the truck with the body off and she's close to stock looking for a new Outcast 8s EXB i plan to get many more runs of her before i do more upgrades i may even compare her to my X-Maxx which has close to stock electronics and decide which one i like better but for now it's too early to tell or say which one i like more. And that concludes the build thread for now if you have any questions or suggestions for upgrades on my build please drop a comment down below and i'll speak to you all again soon bye for now.

Nicely done!

I'd need a much bigger space to 'play' to run one that size!
Thank you so much, Yeah these rigs take up quite a bit of space but luckily i have a front yard, a back yard and a local green belt in my neighborhood just need to watchout for wild animals or 1\1 car traffic when i'm playing\bashing. Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you.

The 8s Outcast is a fun platform. I've have it and the Xmaxx for a couple years now and I love them both. I think the X is a little tougher but the Outcast handles better.

I went with the Castle XLX2 and 1100kv setup and it's crazy fast. The only upgrades I've done was replacing the chassis with an M2C set. Had an unfortunate high speed collision with a steel water pipe that turned the factory chassis into a banana. 7075 my arse!!

I love the factory body. Arrna did a great job with the look of the truck. It's held up pretty well considering my lack of ability to keep it wheel side down.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you get some more run time in and congrats on the new toy.

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having some great times with your families and with your R\C's this holiday season and looking forward to another new year that will soon be upon us. I have here a build thread for my Arrma Outcast 8s EXB V1 Roller i bought the truck during the Christmas in July sale for $400 i took a few months for me to save up for the parts needed to build it up. But here she is although i plan to eventually put better electronics in her someday like a Max 5 G2\56118SD 800KV combo and maybe a better servo someday i just built her to budget spec and with what i had lying around I hope you all like the build so far and can't wait to see more. Btw this was my first Arrma vehicle ever as well as my first vehicle to be compatible with 5th electronics out of the box.
View attachment 177555
Here's the brand new in box truck i got directly from Horizon Hobby and no i wasn't charged twice for the order or it got delayed a ton i got the truck within a week after ordering it.
View attachment 177556
Here's when i started building her up she got a Firma 160A V2 ESC straight from the new Outcast 8s BLX EXB RTR, An 1,100kv 5687 Hobbywing motor i originally bought for my X-Maxx but chose to put it in this truck for now until i can afford to put in something better and more powerful. I also bought a 24 tooth Mod 1 Safe-D8 Arrma pinion gear which i have grown to love the Safe-D series pinions from Arrma\Horizon Hobby i used them on my X-Maxx and this Outcast i have here. For the Servo i bought a Power-HD 65KG 1\5 scale servo since the EXB roller comes with two servo\electronics boxes for 1\6 - 1\5 size servos. And lastly is the radio system i'm running a Radiolink R8FG V2.1 8 Channel FHSS V2 2.4Ghz Receiver bound to my new favorite radio the Radiolink RC8X.
View attachment 177557
Here she is completed with the body i ran her last night for a couple of minutes due to the fact i didn't charge the batteries up to full charge and i didn't want to destroy\ruin my only pair of 4s batteries. But she ran awesome i did have to adjust my gear mesh a little bit since it felt a little tight but after that she ran great and tons of punch even with close to stock gearing and stock ESC punch settings.
View attachment 177558
Here's the truck with the body off and she's close to stock looking for a new Outcast 8s EXB i plan to get many more runs of her before i do more upgrades i may even compare her to my X-Maxx which has close to stock electronics and decide which one i like better but for now it's too early to tell or say which one i like more. And that concludes the build thread for now if you have any questions or suggestions for upgrades on my build please drop a comment down below and i'll speak to you all again soon bye for now.
Gratz dude! I love my Kraton 8S :)

Nice truck and I like where you're going with it. I've always liked the 8s Outcast. It's a big truck yet small enough to be fun at a medium size dirtpark.

View attachment 177555
View attachment 177556
View attachment 177557
View attachment 177558
Hell yeah!! Nicely done sir. Yeah the 8s vehicles are definitely a scale all their own..
The 8s Outcast is a fun platform. I've have it and the Xmaxx for a couple years now and I love them both. I think the X is a little tougher but the Outcast handles better.

I went with the Castle XLX2 and 1100kv setup and it's crazy fast. The only upgrades I've done was replacing the chassis with an M2C set. Had an unfortunate high speed collision with a steel water pipe that turned the factory chassis into a banana. 7075 my arse!!

I love the factory body. Arrna did a great job with the look of the truck. It's held up pretty well considering my lack of ability to keep it wheel side down.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you get some more run time in and congrats on the new toy.
Got to love the castle XLX2 1100kv combo. Run them in both my X and Kra8..

I agree the X definitely takes more beatings then the kra. It's all that aluminum that doesn't flex on the arrmas.

Awesome truck!!! 👍
Don’t think that would fit under my Christmas tree. Probably have to get a bigger one next year

Attachments

• IMG_0638.png
    IMG_0638.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Awesome truck!!! 👍
Don’t think that would fit under my Christmas tree. Probably have to get a bigger one next year
Ha funny i didn't get the truck for Christmas just so you know i bought the truck back in July this year for $400 on Sale this was before the 8s RTR EXB models came out. I finally got all the parts to get it running this month the motor i put in was supposed to be for my X-Maxx. Maybe down the road when i upgrade this truck to a HW Max 5 G2\800kv sensored combo i pull the system i currently have in this truck and put it in my X-Maxx. I might buy another Firma 160A V2 along with the 4685 1,250kv motor for my Limitless V2 Project i have planned after i have refurbished and upgraded my XO-1. I really like the Firma ESC so far it has plenty of punch and power even on factory firmware and settings in my Outcast.

I wish I had bought one during that sale. It would be worth 400 for the spare parts.

I wish I had bought one during that sale. It would be worth 400 for the spare parts.
Yeah, I guess i made the right move at the right time and had the money to do it even though i technically started regretting it after the V2 RTR's came out but i'm now happy with mine and can always update the truck to V2 Spec if i want to. I already have the ESC and comparable 1,100kv motor as well as comparable gearing the stock 47 tooth spur and a 24 tooth pinion. I unfortunately don't have a GPS speed meter to test the speed but i do plan to buy one next month along with a few other RC goodies.

What are the differences in v1 and 2?

What are the differences in v1 and 2?
I think the body, Tires are new to the v2 and they come with electronics right out of the box they have the Firma 160A V2 ESC paired to a Firma 5687 1,100kv which the motor is based off the Hobbywing 5687SL 1,100KV also a DX3 radio paired to a SR6200A AVC Receiver and a S6510 5th scale servo. Instead of the Firma 160A V1 and the 1,250kv 4685 motor also the same DX3 Radio but paired to a SR6110AT AVC Receiver and the S905 Servo. So major changes with the electronics which the new ones perform better and stay cooler than the old ones the truck got a new body and big block dboots backflip tires. Hope this helps but you can go to Arrma or Horizon's site to see the new models.

So, have you broken it yet? Lol
I finally broke my tekno MT410 2 days ago. Well it still drives but something in the front drive train is not happy at all. Lol It's a tough little truck. Wish i had bought one of those k8's for $400 like you did!

So, have you broken it yet? Lol
I finally broke my tekno MT410 2 days ago. Well it still drives but something in the front drive train is not happy at all. Lol It's a tough little truck. Wish i had bought one of those k8's for $400 like you did!
All fine just ran her today, She was a blast and no issues to speak of i ran her alongside her biggest competition my X-Maxx. Here she is next to the ramp my dad made last year and my RC8X.
20240413_095313.jpg

Here's an underbody pic for those who are new and don't know what electronics she runs. She runs a stock Firma 160 V2 Brushless ESC from a V2 EXB RTR with a Hobbywing 5687SL 1,100KV Brushless motor. Also she runs a PowerHD 65kg metal gear servo and an R8FG V2.1 receiver i don't know if i want to upgrade her to something even bigger like a Castle XLX2 with 2028 1,100kv 8s 1\5 combo and maybe a Spektrum S9120BL brushless metal gear servo.
20240413_095710.jpg

I also still run my older Zeee 4s 6,200Mah batteries in her but they get the job done and temps on the motor running the stock 47 tooth mod 1 spur and an Arrma Safe-D8 24 Tooth mod 1 pinion. She ran 110 - 120 F on motor and under 100 F for ESC on a 71 degree F morning.

That's all for now folks more updates will come soon.

Here's my Youtube page if anybody's interested. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIWNgl9CFx2rUenp_hTRnwQ

Back