Lectric Car CPR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well if you like XT60 then - how can I go wrong...right???
Just ordered me a pocket full of XT60....
The XT-60s are very easy to solder. You will like them. I use those on 2s and 3s. And use the XT-90S on 4s and above👍👍

Motor, ESC, and two batteries have arrived
Let the fun begin!
well if you like XT60 then - how can I go wrong...right???
Just ordered me a pocket full of XT60....
The XT connectors are probably some of the easiest connectors out there to solder so its a good plug to start with.

2s and 3s and 4s???? Whachutalknboutwillis?
2 cell, 3 cell, and 4 cell LiPos. The more cells they have, the more voltage they have. Typically, when you get into bigger batteries, you need a bigger connector.

2s and 3s and 4s???? Whachutalknboutwillis?
Lipo batteries bud
2s= 2cell 7.4v
3s= 3cell 11.1v
4s= 4cell 14.8v
5s= 5cell 18.5v
6s= 6 cells 22.2v
The xt60 is good for up to 60amp
The xt90 is good for 100amps

Lipo batteries bud
2s= 2cell 7.4v
3s= 3cell 11.1v
4s= 4cell 14.8v
5s= 5cell 18.5v
6s= 6 cells 22.2v
The xt60 is good for up to 60amp
The xt90 is good for 100amps

I always thought the 60 and 90 was the amp rating.

Well you guys are showing volts not amps
yes I know wide open asked what I meant by 2s and 3s so I showed him what I meant so he knows what 2s and 3s means
I always thought the 60 and 90 was the amp rating.

Screenshot_20210727-213244_Google.jpg

That was confusing but do you understand know? about what we mean by 2s and 3s. And the amp rating of each connector xt60 and xt90 lol 😆😂 I got confused on who said what for a minute sorry

Last edited:
Oh, well that is different than what I found before. But check this out...
Dude melted the solder before the plug.

Oh yeah I watched that video also when first looking into lipos and connector. But that solder popped at 270amp on 12g wire. I USE THE xT90 on 10g wire. 4s lipos have 10g wire on the. But the plug didn't do anything. I found the one I sent to you on a best lipo connector review writing by WOODIE ON THE ARRMA FOURM. all the connector really don't shoe the true amp rating of the connector. SEARCH BEST RC CONNECTOR. AND LOOK FOR THR ARRMA FORUM ONE. ITS WOODIES THREAD ABIUT RC CONNECTORS
The real funny thing is I looked up lipos and chargers and connectors for weeks before I got my first electric rc. And wow there is alot of different info on the same item. The say the amp ratings of connectors are a safe spot for rc. So people don't try to push them and fry their electronics. And that all the connectors ratings are the low side of their actual range they all can handle more then What they say they can
Here's another that say 100amp continuous. It's messed up no one that makes them are on same page. LOL

Screenshot_20210727-193035_Google.jpg

Last edited:
The claimed amperage rating of any connector (if the company even states publicly what it is) will vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. I looked up the amp rating of 3 different Chinese companies who produce EC5 connectors and found max amperage claims anywhere from 50 to 100 Amps. XT connectors had similar variances.

One thing we do know for sure. EC5 is going to be a little more capable of handling high current than XT90. We know this because EC uses 5mm bullets connectors and XT 90 uses 4.5mm bullet connectors. More surface area means more amperage. That being said XT90 is up to the task of 8S RCs from what I've seen and they are easier to solder so that will probably be my connector of choice going forward for 1/5 scale.

I can tell you from personal experience generic Deans arent quite up to the task of 8S. They do ok and I did manage to get many runs in with no failures but I did ultimately have a connector failure. Now Deans claims that their connectors (especially the new ones that are made from higher temp plastics) are supposed to be superior to the generic Chinese made Deans knock offs. This is something I'm about to start testing on my Kraton 8S. I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Another thing I've seen from personal experience is for 1/8 scale and smaller The XT60, EC3, and generic Deans are all capable. I never had a failure even with generic Deans on 6S doing 100+MPH runs with my Rustler or running 6S in my Losi LST2-E. Full disclosure I've not tried very many of the XT60 and EC3 connectors on my 1/8 scale kits but it has been soemthing I'm playing around with more for testing purposes. They both use a 3.5mm bullet connector though so they should be equally capable. If you're using some sort of monster power setup in your 1/8 scale kits and/or doing speed runs Id probably play it safe and go with a bigger connector but for most purposes any of these connectors will do fine.

Heres some examples of how wildly different the reported specs of connectors can be and really this is true of most RC electronics in general so I go more by the application that the electronics were designed for comabined with personal experience rather than claimed numbers. Theres no industry standard for even testing these connectors at least none that are followed outside the USA.

Lets start with the example given by Stoner above that says the XT90 is good up to 100A and 80C temps. 80C is 176F. Now ok, maybe the connector can survive 176F without melting but if you ran a pack through your kit and you went to unplug a 176F connector youd burn the crap outta yourself. Heres what google had to say about human skin and the temperatures need to burn it.
Capturrggbe.JPG

Now maybe the XT90 can withstand temps up to 176F but you wouldnt want to touch it, At any rate, lets circle back around to this as I didnt list the max operating temp really to talk about if they can get that hot what theyd do to your skin but as another point of comparison.

Heres a company stating that the XT90 connector can handle 90A and up to 120C or 248F. So here we not only have a difference in the claimed Amperage rating but this company claims their connector can withstand 248F temps. I would bet money that they can not withstand 248F.
Capture3.JPG

Now I could take the time to dig around and find companies that claim the XT90s max amp rating is anywhere from 50A to 100A but lets just jump to the most extreme case I can find. This companies claims that the XT90 is only rated up to 40A.
Capture.JPG

This is the reason i dont pay attention to that stuff too much. We'll see how various connectors hold up when I start discharging lipos at 120A with my discharger once its finished. Ill be surprised if half the batteries even hold up to 120A continuous discharges.

Last edited:
The claimed amperage rating of any connector (if the company even states publicly what it is) will vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. I looked up the amp rating of 3 different Chinese companies who produce EC5 connectors and found max amperage claims anywhere from 50 to 100 Amps. XT connectors had similar variances.

One thing we do know for sure. EC5 is going to be a little more capable of handling high current than XT90. We know this because EC uses 5mm bullets connectors and XT 90 uses 4.5mm bullet connectors. More surface area means more amperage. That being said XT90 is up to the task of 8S RCs from what I've seen and they are easier to solder so that will probably be my connector of choice going forward for 1/5 scale.

I can tell you from personal experience generic Deans arent quite up to the task of 8S. They do ok and I did manage to get many runs in with no failures but I did ultimately have a connector failure. Now Deans claims that their connectors (especially the new ones that are made from higher temp plastics) are supposed to be superior to the generic Chinese made Deans knock offs. This is something I'm about to start testing on my Kraton 8S. I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Another thing I've seen from personal experience is for 1/8 scale and smaller The XT60, EC3, and generic Deans are all capable. I never had a failure even with generic Deans on 6S doing 100+MPH runs with my Rustler or running 6S in my Losi LST2-E. Full disclosure I've not tried very many of the XT60 and EC3 connectors on my 1/8 scale kits but it has been soemthing I'm playing around with more for testing purposes. They both use a 3.5mm bullet connector though so they should be equally capable. If you're using some sort of monster power setup in your 1/8 scale kits and/or doing speed runs Id probably play it safe and go with a bigger connector but for most purposes any of these connectors will do fine.

Heres some examples of how wildly different the reported specs of connectors can be and really this is true of most RC electronics in general so I go more by the application that the electronics were designed for comabined with personal experience rather than claimed numbers. Theres no industry standard for even testing these connectors at least none that are followed outside the USA.

Lets start with the example given by Stoner above that says the XT90 is good up to 100A and 80C temps. 80C is 176F. Now ok, maybe the connector can survive 176F without melting but if you ran a pack through your kit and you went to unplug a 176F connector youd burn the crap outta yourself. Heres what google had to say about human skin and the temperatures need to burn it.
View attachment 130207
Now maybe the XT90 can withstand temps up to 176F but you wouldnt want to touch it, At any rate, lets circle back around to this as I didnt list the max operating temp really to talk about if they can get that hot what theyd do to your skin but as another point of comparison.

Heres a company stating that the XT90 connector can handle 90A and up to 120C or 248F. So here we not only have a difference in the claimed Amperage rating but this company claims their connector can withstand 248F temps. I would bet money that they can not withstand 248F.
View attachment 130208

Now I could take the time to dig around and find companies that claim the XT90s max amp rating is anywhere from 50A to 100A but lets just jump to the most extreme case I can find. This companies claims that the XT90 is only rated up to 40A.
View attachment 130209

This is the reason i dont pay attention to that stuff too much. We'll see how various connectors hold up when I start discharging lipos at 120A with my discharger once its finished. Ill be surprised if half the batteries even hold up to 120A continuous discharges.
Great info. I am looking forward to the day when nobody uses Deans plugs anymore. I absolutely despise them. It is one of the dumbest designs for connecting and disconnecting. The newer ones that have the molded grips in them aren't as bad, and I have some, but I still hate em.

It will be nice if we could get all these things standardized. I mean do we really need 50 different types of connectors? If we just had XT30, 60, 90, and maybe a bigger version and a smaller version for the micro stuff, that would be all I used. It is like the perfect plug.

View attachment 130207

View attachment 130208

View attachment 130209

Dam so the xt90 as 4 different amp ratings. Your on the arrma forum WOODIE has a rc connector comparison thread and the xt90 amp rating is 120. It's u believable how many different ratings there is for the same one. I use the Amass made one. Has the are the original maker of the XT connector line
Great info. I am looking forward to the day when nobody uses Deans plugs anymore. I absolutely despise them. It is one of the dumbest designs for connecting and disconnecting. The newer ones that have the molded grips in them aren't as bad, and I have some, but I still hate em.

It will be nice if we could get all these things standardized. I mean do we really need 50 different types of connectors? If we just had XT30, 60, 90, and maybe a bigger version and a smaller version for the micro stuff, that would be all I used. It is like the perfect plug.
They do make a XT-150= 150amp rating. So you can find the xt connectors from 30 60 90 150. So they got you covered no mater what your running. I would just make sure they are stamped with Amass brand

Last edited:
Dam so the xt90 as 4 different amp ratings. Your on the arrma forum WOODIE has a rc connector comparison thread and the xt90 amp rating is 120. It's u believable how many different ratings there is for the same one. I use the Amass made one. Has the are the original maker of the XT connector line

They do make a XT-150= 150amp rating. So you can find the xt connectors from 30 60 90 150. So they got you covered no mater what your running. I would just make sure they are stamped with Amass brand
Yeah, I have learned my lesson buying anything other than Amass. I have had some that were pretty good though. But you can definitely tell the Amass ones.

Yeah, I have learned my lesson buying anything other than Amass. I have had some that were pretty good though. But you can definitely tell the Amass ones.
Yeah man I've read alot of people getting fake xt and deans and they melted to almost just the tabs left. That's got to suck.

Deans are my Favorite. I'll never stop using them! :hehe:

Would be nice to have a single standardized connector but it will never happen

If you look around you can find other manufacturers with different specs listed besides what I listed here.

The same is supposedly true of Deans connectors too if the owner of Deans is to be believed. I have two pair of 4S lipos charged up and ready to start testing on the Kraton 8S tomorrow. I have to say I'm expecting them to hold up as it took probably 8 to 10 runs to get a Chinese cloned Deans connector to fail. We shall see though.

Yeah man I've read alot of people getting fake xt and deans and they melted to almost just the tabs left. That's got to suck.
I've been using Deans (mostly knock offs) since I been in the hobby and the first one I've had fail on me was a knock off on the K8 after many runs as mentioned above. I've never had one fail other than that even doing 6S speed runs with my Rustler.

Deans are my Favorite. I'll never stop using them! :hehe:

Would be nice to have a single standardized connector but it will never happen

If you look around you can find other manufacturers with different specs listed besides what I listed here.

The same is supposedly true of Deans connectors too if the owner of Deans is to be believed. I have two pair of 4S lipos charged up and ready to start testing on the Kraton 8S tomorrow. I have to say I'm expecting them to hold up as it took probably 8 to 10 runs to get a Chinese cloned Deans connector to fail. We shall see though.

I've been using Deans (mostly knock offs) since I been in the hobby and the first one I've had fail on me was a knock off on the K8 after many runs as mentioned above. I've never had one fail other than that even doing 6S speed runs with my Rustler.
I love how strong the connection feels with a Deans plug. But that is also what makes them a pain in the butt. I nearly yank the wires out of the car every time I unplug them.