Lectric Car CPR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one it has a small slot and the other end is just a point

Attachments

• Solder kit 1.jpg
    Solder kit 1.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 29
  • solder kit 2.jpg
    solder kit 2.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 33
  • solder kit 3.jpg
    solder kit 3.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 29
I went and bought a new soldering iron today, one that has multiple tips. This tool came with it...what do I use it for?
I am pretty sure that is a tool to adjust potentiometers.

Edit - just saw the new pics. Not sure what that is for. Is it plastic or metal?

plastic - the package just called it a Soldiering aid

The soldering aid tool is for manipulating electronics parts that you might be soldering like ICUs etc. I'm not professional but I dont really understand why they would include that kind of tool in with a fixed temp 40W soldering iron. Its too hot for delicate PCB work which is what youd mainly use that kind of tool for.

The soldering aid tool is for manipulating electronics parts that you might be soldering like ICUs etc. I'm not professional but I dont really understand why they would include that kind of tool in with a fixed temp 40W soldering iron. Its too hot for delicate PCB work which is what youd mainly use that kind of tool for.
but this iron is fine for what I need with this RC equipment - isn't it?

Oh, that makes sense. So the slotted end would be good for bending resistor leads and such I am guessing.
That will do nicely. My dad had a similar Weller iron that he used for just about everything. He had one of the big pistol type guns as well for the bigger stuff. Anyone used one of those before? I still have it. It's a beast, and has the light that turns on when you pull the trigger.

Oh, that makes sense. So the slotted end would be good for bending resistor leads and such I am guessing.

That will do nicely. My dad had a similar Weller iron that he used for just about everything. He had one of the big pistol type guns as well for the bigger stuff. Anyone used one of those before? I still have it. It's a beast, and has the light that turns on when you pull the trigger.
Yes, I have one just like that also that was my dads and they are a beast.
Done with coffee, going to clean meself up and go do a little soldering - will report.

Perfectly fine for RC stuff. Just gotta learn (or maybe you already know) how to be off and on again with the heat cuz fixed temp iron like that probably gets about 150-200F hotter than whats really needed so you'll need more off and on type soldering if that makes sense.

Well this one is "standard duty" and it would not heat the brass tabs on the motor enough to melt the solder; so, I broke out my little miniature butane torch and that done it. However, what connectors do you use to join the two ends of the wires where the plug for the battery meets the motor?

Well this one is "standard duty" and it would not heat the brass tabs on the motor enough to melt the solder; so, I broke out my little miniature butane torch and that done it. However, what connectors do you use to join the two ends of the wires where the plug for the battery meets the motor?
The battery connects to the ESC. Then the other wires from ESC connect to the motor. I generally just solder the wires from the ESC directly to the motor, but if you have to pull the motor you have to desolder the leads again. Not a big deal as I rarely have to pull a motor.

If you want to make the motor removable you could get some 3.5mm or 4mm Bullet connectors, depending on what size wire you have. These are 4mm...
Amass 4.0mm Thick Gold Bullet Connector Banana Plug Gold Plated for ESC Battery (20Pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFV4HDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_1HRB5Y65CFGR75GY00WD

To solder them here is a vid I found...

This is what I am trying to connect. I got the + wire to bite real good but the - won't take hold

Attachments

• wire ends.jpg
    wire ends.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 30
To plug the battery in to the ESC you can use any connectors your like. Deans, XT60, EC3.

Side note, when you went to tin the metal tabs on the motor did you tin the soldering iron tip first? Where you using a wide chisel tip? Did you get the 40W version of that soldering iron or the 15W version?

This is what I am trying to connect. I got the + wire to bite real good but the - won't take hold
You are trying to solder a battery lead to the battery leads on the ESC. Just solder a plain connector to the wires on the ESC. In other words, do away with that red and black wire on the connector already. I thought you bought just the connectors? Make sure you get the positive and negative on the correct pins on the connector of course 😉

To plug the battery in to the ESC you can use any connectors your like. Deans, XT60, EC3.

Side note, when you went to tin the metal tabs on the motor did you tin the soldering iron tip first? Where you using a wide chisel tip? Did you get the 40W version of that soldering iron or the 15W version?
I am using the XT60. Yes, I tined the tip. I am not sure which wattage it just said "standard".
You are trying to solder a battery lead to the battery leads on the ESC. Just solder a plain connector to the wires on the ESC. In other words, do away with that red and black wire on the connector already. I thought you bought just the connectors? Make sure you get the positive and negative on the correct pins on the connector of course 😉
Guess I need to order them without the wire to do that.
So here is what I did. Cut the wires so there was no factory tinning and the strands were free. Dipped them in flux. Mushed them together and soldered them. They passed the "pull" test. Just have to get the heat gun and shrink the tubing.

Attachments

• Connected1.jpg
    Connected1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 25
  • connected2.jpg
    connected2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thats one way to do it. I'm concerned that you couldnt tin the brass tabs on your motor though. I'm wondering if you got the 15W iron cuz a 40W iron would be plenty good to do that. A 15W iron not so much. When I look at them on amazon the 15W says light duty and the 40W says medium duty. I dont see anything bout standard. Anyway. just curious. Not sure how much you're actually concerned about it :)

I bought it at the local Ace Hardware. I dunno..

Got this one racing today at the indoor Track - it is an Associated TC3, I had to buy a new radio system for it, old one didn't work. It is fast, the tires we had on it couldn't get any traction so I bought a set of wheels and tires too. We had a really good time, lots of crashing today though.