Just been given this to fix... gonna need some help tho!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The esc you linked AND the one I linked from hobbyking are on backorder mate, so it’s either the Banggood one or the more expensive ones (there are some cheap ones on eBay but they look too sus even to me lol)
As someone who isn’t even an amateur electronics person I wouldn’t know how to tell they will have problems either haha 😆
My bad... I dont know why but I could have sworn they were in stock.

Is there any reason you can't order from hobbywing direct? The QUICRUN 10BL60 is only $38USD/£27.50.

That one looks a heck of a lot better than the other one. Almost looks like a hobbywing clone.

Not sure I understand this suggestion as the ESCs are cheaper than that on HW's website. $39/$47 respectively. Am I missing something here?
That is because i didnt know HW sold them directly. I have always bought them either from Redcat, or from eBay. Until i bought a Redcat with a rebranded HW, i had never even heard of them. My old typical goto ESC was the Castle Sidewinder, but then circumstances changed, and i had to start looking for cheaper options, at about the same time my nephew and my brother were both looking for inexpensive RC vehicles, which is how i came across Redcat originally.

My bad... I dont know why but I could have sworn they were in stock.

Is there any reason you can't order from hobbywing direct? The QUICRUN 10BL60 is only $38USD/£27.50.

That one looks a heck of a lot better than the other one. Almost looks like a hobbywing clone.
The hobbywing one is about £38 plus delivery bud... I may take a chance on that 120a one abs I won’t be racing or beasting the car just playing with it really and letting my boys learn to drive it.
It’s just with the new battery, plus a charger, and the receiver I won’t have much left in the budget and I honestly won’t be able to go above that amount! I’m even tempted to try to repair the esc I have here but that could cost me more if it burns the new receiver out...

View attachment 135333Thanks for all the pointers peeps, @biggman100 @WickedFog @StonerRC365 this is the controller it came with, says etronix pulse on it, I can find the replacement receiver on eBay straight away so that isn’t a problem, £12 delivered- the esc is available too but it’s £45 delivered (yikes lol)

@Greywolf74 i have the correct charger that came with the car, basically have everything it came with here. The battery voltages are;
Red/black 8.36v
Blue/Black 4.16v
I guess that’s a problem?
Also the battery is in a plastic bonded case, it MAY be very very slightly pushed out at the centre but that could be how it came for all I know as it’s so slight I could be just imagining it! Is it worth popping open? Or is that a bit dodgy lol

@StonerRC365 Yeah that’s the wires that are burned my apologies I don’t know Jack about these electric RCs yet! And the receiver has a hole right between (and behind) the signal LED and VCC port if that means anything to you bud?

I get the feeling this may not be worth the money it will take to fix it, if it needs new battery, esc and receiver 🤔 especially when I’m trying to sort the two nitro cars I have already haha 😂 starting to see how this hobby gets expensive lol 😝
another thin I’ve noticed as I’m stripping it down, is this stuff in the front diff- it’s almost rock solid like epoxy putty, not at all like grease, surely this isn’t right?
Yeah it can get expensive bud. Just like any hobby. Unless your doing niddel point 😉🤣🤣🤣. But if all you got to do is fix it and its under 100 dollars and you get another RC out of it. We'll to me it's a NO brainer... any esc would work just got to get a strong enough one.. the diff shouldn't be hard. Some guys use the ear plug wax for swimming.. that just looks like old grease... the grease any good tacky grease would work i use Lucas red n tacky or the marine grease.. and if you have the charger for the lipo then its fine...
The hobbywing one is about £38 plus delivery bud... I may take a chance on that 120a one abs I won’t be racing or beasting the car just playing with it really and letting my boys learn to drive it.
It’s just with the new battery, plus a charger, and the receiver I won’t have much left in the budget and I honestly won’t be able to go above that amount! I’m even tempted to try to repair the esc I have here but that could cost me more if it burns the new receiver out...
It would definitely be a good starter for the boys. That's for sure

Tbh bud it doesn’t say if either of those I linked are 2s or not I’ll have to ring the shop in the morning
Found this HobbyKing esc which looks to be the same rating as the one on the car, but less than half the price
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyki...uLeu33VNZysxjVc2BoCLN4QAvD_BwE&___store=en_us
Avoid these like the plaque. There is a reason they are so cheap, and its because they tend to catch on fire, melt, glitch out, and die spectacularly. I have 5 of them in a box in my shed, and, with only ever using them with a 2S lipo, all of them fried themselves. Another one to avoid are the GoolRC ESC's. They typically fail fairly quickly. Now, the only ESC i use is the HW WP10BL60 RTR and WP 10BL120 RTR, and in the last 4 years, running in mud, snow, and water, i have only had one fail, and that was my own fault, because i forgot to plug the fan in and ran it on a day that was 80 degrees out.

Yeah it can get expensive bud. Just like any hobby. Unless your doing niddel point 😉🤣🤣🤣. But if all you got to do is fix it and its under 100 dollars and you get another RC out of it. We'll to me it's a NO brainer... any esc would work just got to get a strong enough one.. the diff shouldn't be hard. Some guys use the ear plug wax for swimming.. that just looks like old grease... the grease any good tacky grease would work i use Lucas red n tacky or the marine grease.. and if you have the charger for the lipo then its fine...

It would definitely be a good starter for the boys. That's for sure
Yeah that grease stuff is terrible in there, I’ve got plenty of greases here mate honest haha 😂
But I’ll just get some bits ordered when I can and see what happens- if I have to learn the hard way then so be it lmao 😂
Avoid these like the plaque. There is a reason they are so cheap, and its because they tend to catch on fire, melt, glitch out, and die spectacularly. I have 5 of them in a box in my shed, and, with only ever using them with a 2S lipo, all of them fried themselves. Another one to avoid are the GoolRC ESC's. They typically fail fairly quickly. Now, the only ESC i use is the HW WP10BL60 RTR and WP 10BL120 RTR, and in the last 4 years, running in mud, snow, and water, i have only had one fail, and that was my own fault, because i forgot to plug the fan in and ran it on a day that was 80 degrees out.
I’ll take that into consideration mate, cheers, if I can get one in my budget then I’ll go for it but I can’t for the life of me get prices off the actual HW website just some details and the rest is in Chinese even when I select the English option in the menu!!!

Interesting... their website is showing me $38 USD and its showing you £38. Honestly that 120A unit from banggood will probably be fine and If I were on a tight budget Id probably try and replace the wire on the existing ESC and give it a go too.

Interesting... their website is showing me $38 USD and its showing you £38. Honestly that 120A unit from banggood will probably be fine and If I were on a tight budget Id probably try and replace the wire on the existing ESC and give it a go too.
That one from BangGood is a GoolRC. I have one in a DHK hunter (i used to buy the GoolRC combo's in bulk, now, i just buy the motor's and pair them with HW ESC's) that constantly acts up, and as soon as my next batch of HW's arrive, I'm tossing the GoolRC ESC. On that truck, paired with a GoolRC 3800KV motor, it cuts out, cogs when it wants to, then, works fine for 2 minutes, then acts up in a different way.

This is why i prefer AliExpress over BangGood: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32738495186.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.193a1399uJnor7&algo_pvid=bf129f76-60f1-46a3-ae8b-ae6a80f92ed6&algo_exp_id=bf129f76-60f1-46a3-ae8b-ae6a80f92ed6-12&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"61462417904"}

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914410600.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5e835e5duOu5jM&algo_pvid=11e998f5-4eaf-49cc-a98e-0d0d4eaaf35e&algo_exp_id=11e998f5-4eaf-49cc-a98e-0d0d4eaaf35e-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"65900551272"}

Last edited:
Yeah that grease stuff is terrible in there, I’ve got plenty of greases here mate honest haha 😂
But I’ll just get some bits ordered when I can and see what happens- if I have to learn the hard way then so be it lmao 😂

I’ll take that into consideration mate, cheers, if I can get one in my budget then I’ll go for it but I can’t for the life of me get prices off the actual HW website just some details and the rest is in Chinese even when I select the English option in the menu!!!
You got nothing to lose like wolf said. I agree fix the wires on esc. And give it a go. Did you check the esc you plug battery in and it beeps you said rite. ? The rx could be the only thing fried..🤔🤔

You got nothing to lose like wolf said. I agree fix the wires on esc. And give it a go. Did you check the esc you plug battery in and it beeps you said rite. ? The rx could be the only thing fried..🤔🤔
But the esc might’ve fried the rx.

Having quite a bit of personal experience with that ESC, i would bet it is junk. For awhile i got into this, the cheaper it is, the better it is for my wallet, and i have tried every combo of cheap you can think of (i would buy GoolRC, HobbyKing X-Car, whatever was cheapest from Exceed RC 5 or 6 at a time), and all i got to show for it is a box of garbage parts that one day i will get rid of. I keep it mainly to remind me why some things you shouldn't be cheap on, electronics being one of them. You dont have to break the bank, but, buy enough cheap electronics, and have them keep failing, and you can quickly spend more than something better would cost.

Doesn't have to plug into rx to see if it beeps when powered up. If it beeps then more then likely it ok
Might have fried the rx. That rx is fried like deep fried chicken man. There is NO saving that rx👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Having quite a bit of personal experience with that ESC, i would bet it is junk. For awhile i got into this, the cheaper it is, the better it is for my wallet, and i have tried every combo of cheap you can think of (i would buy GoolRC, HobbyKing X-Car, whatever was cheapest from Exceed RC 5 or 6 at a time), and all i got to show for it is a box of garbage parts that one day i will get rid of. I keep it mainly to remind me why some things you shouldn't be cheap on, electronics being one of them. You dont have to break the bank, but, buy enough cheap electronics, and have them keep failing, and you can quickly spend more than something better would cost.
The most expensive part you will buy is the cheap one that you buy... you get what you pay for....

That one from BangGood is a GoolRC. I have one in a DHK hunter (i used to buy the GoolRC combo's in bulk, now, i just buy the motor's and pair them with HW ESC's) that constantly acts up, and as soon as my next batch of HW's arrive, I'm tossing the GoolRC ESC. On that truck, paired with a GoolRC 3800KV motor, it cuts out, cogs when it wants to, then, works fine for 2 minutes, then acts up in a different way.

This is why i prefer AliExpress over BangGood: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32738495186.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.193a1399uJnor7&algo_pvid=bf129f76-60f1-46a3-ae8b-ae6a80f92ed6&algo_exp_id=bf129f76-60f1-46a3-ae8b-ae6a80f92ed6-12&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"61462417904"}

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914410600.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5e835e5duOu5jM&algo_pvid=11e998f5-4eaf-49cc-a98e-0d0d4eaaf35e&algo_exp_id=11e998f5-4eaf-49cc-a98e-0d0d4eaaf35e-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"65900551272"}
That works out almost £30 for the first one bud, second one is £40 with shipping so I may as well put a new replacement one in there for that price. The first one I’ve seen somewhere else while searching I recognise the label on it....
I’m only hesitant to do this incase it was what caused the problem and I fry another receiver lol 😂
Yes bud the esc lights up fine and the motor beeps twice while flicking to position, the fan powers up and seems strong plus the output as checked at red/black wire is 5.05v. That’s why I thought maybe the receiver fried the wiring to the esc, not the other way round?
I’ll take that info bud thanks, but do you mean the 60a racerstar esc or the 120a one is the goolRC one?

I’m only hesitant to do this incase it was what caused the problem and I fry another receiver lol 😂

Yes bud the esc lights up fine and the motor beeps twice while flicking to position, the fan powers up and seems strong plus the output as checked at red/black wire is 5.05v. That’s why I thought maybe the receiver fried the wiring to the esc, not the other way round?
It sounds like theres a decent chance it still works. Its a bit of a gamble, thats true but worst case scenario you're out £12 for the RX. Potential savings is 2-3 times that. 🤷‍♂️

Trackstar, Racestar, GoolRC, Hobbyking X-Car, Exceed, theyre all bottom of the barrel Chinesium brands. If your going to buy anything cheaper than Hobbywing its going to be a crap shoot on if its any good and how long it lasts. Hate to sound critical but most guys will tell you the same if theyve had any experience with them.

This link is to the DC version of the charger, Not the AC version but either way if you're going to spend £35 on a charger then Id buy the Turnigy Accucell for £33.50. Its a much more capable charger anyway.

It sounds like theres a decent chance it still works. Its a bit of a gamble, thats true but worst case scenario you're out £12 for the RX. Potential savings is 2-3 times that. 🤷‍♂️

Trackstar, Racestar, GoolRC, Hobbyking X-Car, Exceed, theyre all bottom of the barrel Chinesium brands. If your going to buy anything cheaper than Hobbywing its going to be a crap shoot on if its any good and how long it lasts. Hate to sound critical but most guys will tell you the same if theyve had any experience with them.

This link is to the DC version of the charger, Not the AC version but either way if you're going to spend £35 on a charger then Id buy the Turnigy Accucell for £33.50. Its a much more capable charger anyway.
Understood mate, i appreciate the honesty and straight to the point advice! I’ll take the chance with repairing the esc for now, and try to find out if there’s any other way to check it out too.
Also thanks for the charger link, I’ll get that one if you recommenced it over the skyRC one 👍
So at least now I’ve got the plan and the parts list, just the waiting game now for the funds to line up then I’ll start changing bits over and try getting this bugsta running again!
Still intrigued as to how it all broke down in the first place, I wonder if it was plugged up wrong at one point and that began the sh!tshow of melting wires and components lol

Understood mate, i appreciate the honesty and straight to the point advice! I’ll take the chance with repairing the esc for now, and try to find out if there’s any other way to check it out too.
Also thanks for the charger link, I’ll get that one if you recommenced it over the skyRC one 👍
So at least now I’ve got the plan and the parts list, just the waiting game now for the funds to line up then I’ll start changing bits over and try getting this bugsta running again!
Still intrigued as to how it all broke down in the first place, I wonder if it was plugged up wrong at one point and that began the sh!tshow of melting wires and components lol
Best guess is that someone plugged the ESC in backwards and reversed the polarity which fried the RX and the ESC wire but its also possible something inside of the RX just shorted out. The more puzzling part to me is how the balance charger got shorted out and got that scorch mark on the plug? Those plugs are typically keyed so you can't plug them in backward like you could on an RX.

Don't you have other RC's. Just use one of those RX to test it.. don't even have to take out of the car. Just plug wires into the other RX.. find out if it works. You have one that you can't use rite if I remember correctly. I would have done that the first day I got the RC

Best guess is that someone plugged the ESC in backwards and reversed the polarity which fried the RX and the ESC wire but its also possible something inside of the RX just shorted out. The more puzzling part to me is how the balance charger got shorted out and got that scorch mark on the plug? Those plugs are typically keyed so you can't plug them in backward like you could on an RX.
Also when you plug the esc back in it doesn’t overheat or smoke, and outputs the right volts too...
the charger maybe scorched the battery plug, considering the battery is obviously degrading- given the car doesn’t look that old/that used it may be why it’s degrading already?
Or maybe someone plugged the balance plug into the Rx? Would that be a no-no?

@StonerRC365 you’re forgetting my noob-ness mate lol 😂 is it worth risking the receiver from my other RC? The axis I wouldn’t dare use as I probably couldn’t find a replacement knowing that old thing haha And will a nitro receiver be the same? I’ll check the Camper and see what’s on that hold on....
So the axis is crystal anyway I forgot that, the camper is a 2.4ghz set up here’s the Rx on that, where should I plug the wires into? And I’ll still need to repair the burned wire before I can plug it in
If I use this Rx will my other Tx work without having to bind etc?
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back