Hyper 7 Brushless Conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice vid.

It sure is a screamer.

You have motivated me to get on with the conversion of my STR. I have all the parts, but just haven't gotten around to it.

that thing is sick! you did a great job Dom. congrats on a nice build; and like robmob i'm getting that itch for a conversion.

you mentioned longer run times dropping the pinion gear by 1 tooth...how much longer? 2-3 minutes?

also, did u put on aftermarket wire covers on the motor leads? i'm digging them.

Last edited:
First thing I need to do is smooth out the throttle curve so that throttle input is not so much like on/off switch. Then I'll tweak the motor timing, startup power and drag brake. This alone will add a few minutes of run time.

Running 1 tooth smaller will add another 2-3 minutes and running on a smoother surface will also add some time.

The wire covers were taken from some extra cables that came with a computer power supply. Woodie had sold a few of the single color sets a while back, and you can also find them from your computer supply store.

I'm glad the build has motivated you guys to do your own. That's mission accomplished in my book. :D These conversions are a blast to drive.

Last edited:
....I want one.... :\

Last edited by a moderator:
That vid is making me almost with I had kept it and finished the conversion I had planned! Keep up the great work!

Think the LST I have may have to be brushless. The way money goes:...it will be a while till I get a brushless rig finished. Keep us all drooling brother.

Are there conversion kits for just any 1/10 scale in general or are there only specific brand conversion kits?

1/8 scale conversion kits are model specific because of differences between chassis design and component layout. The motor mount is the main difference, the battery trays will also differ depending on which packs you run.

The factory conversion kits will supply pinions and center diff gear. They also provide a new servo tray with relocation of the receiver box. Their battery trays also look to fit standard hard cased lipos only.

I had a test run today on asphalt with the Eagle Tree. Gearing was 13/46. No changes to ESC settings.

1520 max watts (2 HP)
15.4 lowest voltage
98.8 max amps
21.5 ave amps

128 deg F max motor temp
112 deg F max battery temp

I ran the buggy harder today than I did on the first test run. Run time increased by 2 minutes with 1 tooth drop on the pinion.

More crappy boring test video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The buggy is just sick!!! I hope your running some hard compound tires, they won't last long like that.

Thanks Pete. From now on it will only see off road duty.

This project is officially done. Thanks to all for checking it out. :cheers:

how did i miss this vid? i remember seeing the first one...looks like it just spins the crap outta the tires!!! your wife sounds hot too....lol.

your wife sounds hot too....lol.

she sure does smell good!! :D

seriously though, nice conversion! that is the first wheelie from a buggy i think i have seen! you still have the center diff right?

we need a speed run!

Thanks guys...I agree my wife is hot! :hehe:

The rig is on the chopping block so no more speed runs or testing. :\

Back