Hyper 7 Brushless Conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
As there has been more and more interest on the forum with regards to converting 1/8 scales, I decided to do another conversion for those who are just getting into brushless electric. The goal of this project is to convert a 1/8 buggy at a low cost, using (mostly) easily available components. You'll see that the conversion is a relatively simple process. The power system I am using for this project will work well with any 1/8 scale buggy, truggy, or MT(assuming you gear correctly).

I chose a Hyper 7 buggy for its low cost, parts availability and durability. Big thanks to psunitro for hooking me up with a deal on a very clean roller for this conversion.

Other parts used for the conversion are

rc-monster Hyper 7 motor mount -$45
rc-monster battery tray $35
Castle Mamba Monster Max ESC $165
Neu 1515 1Y 2200 KV motor- currently available for $230

NOTE: It is more cost effective to run the MMM ESC/2200KV motor combo for $279. The Neu motor I am using is slightly more powerful than the motor in the MMM combo. My original intent was to use Medusa Research's new 36-80 motor but it did not come in time for this conversion. I'll drop it in once it arrives.

Maxamps 6000mah 5S 25C lipo-You can run any 4-5S pack with this motor combo as long as it is 20C or greater and 5000mah or greater in capacity.
JR Z650M servo $50 I had a new spare that's been sitting in my pit box. It's light at 1.6 oz and has plenty of torque to turn the buggy wheels.
13T hardened mod1 pitch 5mm bore pinion $13
Pack of 6.5mm connectors $10 for 3 pair

440084302_S54qB-XL.jpg

First order of business is to change the diff oils in all three diffs. Due to the higher power of the brushless motor, the diffs will tend to "unload" if the oil is too thin. I went with 10K-10K-5K front center rear to start. Removed all the brake hardware since we will use the motor as the brake. Many folks like to keep the mechanical brakes so that they can adjust front brake bias. My goal is too keep weight low and I'm also used to driving with the motor brakes.

440084727_Xm6UP-XL.jpg

Installed the center diff with new motor mount. As you can see the servo tray needs to be modified to remove the throttle/brake servo pocket to clear the motor mount.

440084901_XYaxu-XL.jpg

Servo tray trimmed and ready to install steering servo.

440085074_zQbk8-XL.jpg

Installed servo and mounted motor to check for clearances.

440085228_z8qY9-XL.jpg

440229532_mTrS6-XL.jpg

I do have an issue with the massive diameter of the finned Neu motor, the rear chassis brace does not clear it.

440229663_zm2bS-XL.jpg

The simple solution is to offset the brace on the diff bulkhead by about 5mm.

Now it's time to play with where I wanted to mount the ESC, receiver, and battery tray.

440085394_R77mi-XL.jpg

I then realized I ran out of 6.5mm connectors for the MMM esc, and I lost the servo horn for the steering servo. I'll have to make a trip to the LHS in the morning.

More tomorrow.

Last edited:
awesome project i wanted a hyper 7 first then i fell in love with the 8ight-t

sweetdiesel I've been doin alot of reading over on rcmonster and i think I'm goin to go with the same set-up as your but run 4s all the time 6s is just to much for what i want to do with it

i still dont know what the number after the 15/15 is like the 1y and stuff

The number after the 1515 designates how many windings and the type of winding. F is for finned can, S is for smooth can.

oh man this is coming along fast!!!! very informative and useful wright up so far Dom!!!! i look forward to seeing the rest of it come to life.

Nice! Glad to see you are at it already! You are using it exactly for what I had planned to use it for.

Looking good SD, can't wait to see this beast running! How will it compare to the truggy?

Thanks guys, I couldn't make it to the LHS yesterday but will get the rest of the needed items today. I should be wrapped up and ready for a test run in the morning.

Looking good SD, can't wait to see this beast running! How will it compare to the truggy?

It should be much faster off the line compared to the truggy, which already had traction issues. Right now I estimate the final weight to be 8.3 lbs, which is approximately 4.7 lbs lighter than the truggy but with the same power. :D

Last edited:
Those pesky gremlins actually led me to where I had some spare servo horns in the workshop, but unfortunately they also ate all my dean's connectors.

I can't wait to wrap up this conversion so I can get started on my next one that is 23" inches long. :whhooo:

I'm so pumped to start my conv. on the 8ight,ill be buying the motor and mount next week

make sure u post a video after your done i really like the hyper 7

Finished wiring her up tonight. With the limited space of the buggy chassis things are pretty tight but they managed to fit. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be ready to try a test run.

441483828_7xie2-XL.jpg

441484125_YCxuj-XL.jpg

441484041_yjnRm-XL.jpg

441483925_8Drpo-XL.jpg

This buggy came together quick, can't wait for the video!

Right now I estimate the final weight to be 8.3 lbs, which is approximately 4.7 lbs lighter than the truggy but with the same power. :D

I remember watching video of the truggy so this thing should be flat out insane!

can't wait for the video everything came together nicely

Looking good Dom.

wow, very impressive Dom!!! forgive my stupid question, but you said this is a "budget" build, even so, it should be very competitive still wont it? performance wise i mean.

wow, very impressive Dom!!! forgive my stupid question, but you said this is a "budget" build, even so, it should be very competitive still wont it? performance wise i mean.

Previously I have owned 2 Hyper 7s and I expect this one to be just as tough. Speed wise it will be much faster than nitro. The buggy weighs .8 lbs more than it's nitro equivalent but I'm hoping the weight won't effect handling too severely. If it does, I can try switching to a lighter lipo pack.

I need to rethink how the ESC is secured to the chassis. I do not like how it is mounted now with Fasteddy's industrial strength servo tape. I think I will bolt a plastic box to the chassis and keep the ESC inside with a hole cut for ventilation.

I have been waiting for Traxxas to release the ERevo brushless edition so I can get the part number for the Mamba Monster mounting system they use. It would be a good choice for your application.

edit: part number is 5626.

Looks like you use servo tape to hold down the esc and then attach the mounting plate over the esc and bolt it through the chassis which clamps the esc in place.

Last edited:
I think I can copy their design using a couple 3mm I.D. standoffs and a piece of hard plastic. I'll have to do some delicate dremeling for the fan cutouts but it will get me by until the traxxas part is released.

Thank you very much for the idea Rob!

dont know if i missed it or you didnt post it, what gearing did you use? did you change the spur on the buggy? I loved my hyper as well, i think it was the toughest rig i have ever owned. I bet that thing will rip when your done.

on the engine brake, wouldnt the center diff cause some issues with that? i guess no more then it would affect power transfer huh.

Back