Hobao Hyper 7 Electric Conversion build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Greg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello Everybody,

This conversion has been done quite a few times, I just wanted to share my version.

Its a Hobao Hyper 7, couldn't tell you which year. Got it off Facebook marketplace. Paid $60 for the car. Now I have been out of the hobby for quit a while, and didn't want to break the bank so I ordered quite a few odd ball parts from overseas. But I made it work. I wanted this thread for anybody who does this conversion again in the future as there aren't many good build threads out there.

the Start:
MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg

-Pulled everything off the car. and gave it a good bath. Disassembly went smooth. If anybody knows how old this might be please let me know.

The Parts I ordered are as goes:

-Hobbywing 150a ESC from BYRC on aliexpress. -$75
-Knock off Castle creations 2200kv motor from Aliexpress - $30
-Hyper SSe motor mount from aliexpress - $8
-Losi 8ight-e Battery plate - had to make some minor cuts to make it fit. - $13
-Traxxas Waterproof receiver box - $14
-ZD 1/8th scale shocks from aliexpress -$22
-Arrma Shock posts - $9
-13-16T M1 pinion gears - $21
-100k Center Diff oil - $13
-10K Front and Rear Diff oil - $11
-New Hobao Hyper VSe Steering linkage and Servo Saver - $8
-Chinese motor fan $5
-New Hyper7 TQ sport body - $31
-New Hobao Hyper 7 wing - $8
-new Hobao 17mm hubs - $8
-CSPower 30Kg Servo From Aliexpress - $11 (not good at all, replaced)

Total of around $350

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (13).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (12).jpg

- Cutting the servo holder is an easy job.
-With the Motor Mount I used, you will have to add some spacers to the stock center diff mount to level it out. I also had to do some grinding on the Motor mount to miss the plastic trays on the chassis.

The car is heavy, but durable. I've beat it up a couple times, going to take it to my local track for a parade lap, then probably shelf queen it. I appreciate the read.

Nice rig👍 What tires ya got there? I performed something similar on an Xray nitro buggy.. I paid $350 up front though..guy had a healthy box of spares NIP to go with it. Adam Drake Trinity motor.. It may be rebuildable but I'm done with nitro. It's an '07 model, most parts are still available surprisingly.

Nice rig👍 What tires ya got there? I performed something similar on an Xray nitro buggy.. I paid $350 up front though..guy had a healthy box of spares NIP to go with it. Adam Drake Trinity motor.. It may be rebuildable but I'm done with nitro. It's an '07 model, most parts are still available surprisingly.
Thanks man, it was a blast to build especially piecing things together from China. Just figuring it all out. But nice on the xray, are you saying the xray is an 07? or my Hobao is?

and heres the link to the Tires , They are surprisingly pliable. Have not hit loose dirt with them yet, so I can't give a full review. But considering the price, i dont expect much.

Those Hyper 7s were made for a good number of years so its hard to say the exact age. OFNA released the Hyper 7 RTR in 2001, the Hyper 7 PBS in 2003, and the Hyper 7 TQ Sport in 2007. I believe one or two newer versions of the TQ Sport were also released but I'm not 100% sure of that. I believe the last of the Hyper 7s were discontinued in 2012. Based on what I know and have seen, I believe the version you have there is the Hyper 7 PBS. The PBS came with those same tires and grey plastics for the radio/battery try. The original Hyper 7 RTR came with a pin style tire and the TQ Sport came with black plastics leading me to believe that is a PBS. Hope this helps.

Side note, those Picco .28 P3 engines used to be one of my favorite reasonably price engines back in the 2011-2015 time frame. They discontinued them some time around there. The PBS originally came with a .21 engine although the later TQ Sport did come with a .28.

The finished product looks good!

Those Hyper 7s were made for a good number of years so its hard to say the exact age. OFNA released the Hyper 7 RTR in 2001, the Hyper 7 PBS in 2003, and the Hyper 7 TQ Sport in 2007. I believe one or two newer versions of the TQ Sport were also released but I'm not 100% sure of that. I believe the last of the Hyper 7s were discontinued in 2012. Based on what I know and have seen, I believe the version you have there is the Hyper 7 PBS. The PBS came with those same tires and grey plastics for the radio/battery try. The original Hyper 7 RTR came with a pin style tire and the TQ Sport came with black plastics leading me to believe that is a PBS. Hope this helps.

Side note, those Picco .28 P3 engines used to be one of my favorite reasonably price engines back in the 2011-2015 time frame. They discontinued them some time around there. The PBS originally came with a .21 engine although the later TQ Sport did come with a .28.

The finished product looks good!
Thanks for the insight! yeah, the .28 was an upgrade per the previous owner. I still have the Picco and the original .28 Axial engine i think it came with.

This thing is fantastic to drive, nice to see there is parts support, limited but still exist. Thanks for the kind words about the finished product.

Thanks man, it was a blast to build especially piecing things together from China. Just figuring it all out. But nice on the xray, are you saying the xray is an 07? or my Hobao is?

and heres the link to the Tires , They are surprisingly pliable. Have not hit loose dirt with them yet, so I can't give a full review. But considering the price, i dont expect much.
Sorry, I meant the Xray. I don't have any Hobao experience. Though my brother has an Ofna 1/8 nitro buggy from the 90's tucked away somewhere.

Back