Hyper 7 Brushless Conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gearing will be same as stock, 46T spur with 13T pinion. The spur is stock steel and I will be using a hardened Novak pinion (not the one in the pics). The motor will turn a hair over 40K max rpms with a top speed of approximately 48-50 mph.

The center diff will have no issue with braking, other than not being able to adjust front/rear brake bias.

Dining table test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good! Can't wait to see it out!

The scenery around your place is incredible Dom.

Thanks guys. :)

The scenery around your place is incredible Dom.

It was one of the major deciding factors for moving. We love being surrounded by nature and the peace and quiet it brings.

A couple minor issues need to be resolved before actually putting it on the road. My 5S lipo pack is too tall to fit underneath the buggy body. The body will go over the pack but it sits cockeyed. I have two options...either order a new custom tray from rc-monster to allow the pack to sit on its wider side, or simply hack away one wall to achieve the same result. A positive side effect is that the CG will be lower.

Second issue is that even with the pack sitting on it's wider side, I still need another 3-4 mm to clear the body. The solution is to respectively raise the body mounts by using washers underneath the front mount, and drill new holes in the rear shock tower for the rear mount.

Obviously those who are converting truggies and MTs need not worry about battery pack clearance as there is much more room underneath those bodies.

I'll be hacking the battery tray tonight and use the leftover delrin to make the ESC strap.

Looking good, you can realy see the power when you get on it and the tires balloon up
X867502875 on seeing it in action...

Made the ESC hold down today out of some scrap aluminum. I'll make a nicer looking one later.

443776388_DS5WL-L.jpg

Body is raised 4mm in front, 5mm in rear. Battery tray has been trimmed and it is ready to run in the morning. I should be able to get some video if the weather holds up.

444007144_9FPAX-L.jpg

444007983_7frNU-L.jpg

444008515_PD9wK-L.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. Bring it to Sheldon's tomorrow :D. You'll get everyone's attention.

Looking great!I knew those stock tires woule ballon like mad. Maybe strap the others in the box before you glue them up? I dont think the will blow up like the stocks but maybe....and use only the best glue, I have seen some of these conversions blow the tires off the rim!! (but i'm sure you knew this!)

Oops accidentally deleted my post. Video is here. Sorry for the bad quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang Dom. When you present a brushless..I always want to try it. Your effort in quality and design is second to none.

I need to come up and try my hand in converting a Nitro. We got to talk about your opinions.

This hyper 7 is amazing man.

what is your run time?

Dam Dom that thing is quick, first 8th scale I have sceen with reverse, and to top it off you got to wear you kid out at the same time, I bet she took a great nap after all that running around, LOL!!!

The gearing for this first run was 14/46 which is a hair heavy for running in the grass. Run time was approximately 15 minutes with the 6000mah pack and no change to the default ESC settings other than setting the LVC to 15.5 volts. I expect run time to be much longer with 13/46 and some tweaking of the ESC settings. My next test run this week will be on pavement when I have my Eagletree hooked up.

Initial test results with the wattmeter were

1230 max watts
15.4 lowest voltage
77.8 max amps
30.4 ave amps

Dam Dom that thing is quick, first 8th scale I have sceen with reverse, and to top it off you got to wear you kid out at the same time, I bet she took a great nap after all that running around, LOL!!!

I would have thought so but after the test run they still wanted to go play in the park. They ended up wearing me out. lol

wow Dom that thing RUNS!!! dont you just love the quietness of it lol...very cool...

Very nice Dom, it's not lacking power thats for sure LOL. Can't wait to see it on concrete after the tweaks!

Back