Go Fast Car Build?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm toying with the idea of building a high-speed car and have a few questions.

First is what platform are people using?
Arrma
Rebodied Limitless.​
Infraction V2 some are rebodied. However, it seems expensive because I would probably throw out the electronics.​
Infraction V3 which comes with low end brushed motor, but is less than the Limitless. Might be a good option if I'm chucking the electronics. Are there any chassis difference between the V2 and V3?​
Traxxas XO-1
It's Traxxas and probably pretty dialed in, but you will need to undo that if you want to go faster. Also may limit big motor options?​
Hobao
I ran across the HB-VTE2 platform last night. Is it any good, parts may be a bit harder to get than Arrma or Traxxas?​
Others?
What is the recipe? - What do electronics and tires do I start with.
I see the Castle Mamba Monstor X or XLX2 seem to be popular for the ESC.​
The motor(s) is more of a mystery. I see Castle 1717 and 2028, TP Power and Neu Castle motors are popular.​
Tires I see foams and some GPMs. Although Innovation RC (Youtube) seems to blow them out a lot. Might be a Florida heat thing?​

I'm assuming I will need to play with the pinion and spool to find what works with the rest.

Lastly a long range transmitter, I'm thinking my Flysky might be a bit under powered.

TIA
My first on road platform i bought with my own money and drove was a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 Brushed Ford GT edition. But the first fast on road i got was the Traxxas XO-1 over a year ago it's a V1 i bought mine before the V2 came out i sometimes i wish i bought the V2 cause it's more stable and better to drive at low speeds. I put a Hobbywing Max 6 4985SL 1,650KV combo and ran it on everything from 4 - 8s bashing and only stripped a spur gear and bent a steel half shaft. I plan to buy a Limitless V2 sometime next year since i bought a Rlaarlo AK-917 Carbon chassis roller and put budget electronics in it since it was all i had lying around. But i plan to go Castle with all my on roads next year will mostly be basher setups since i do mostly bashing. But best of luck to you with your entry into the on road world.

My first on road platform i bought with my own money and drove was a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 Brushed Ford GT edition. But the first fast on road i got was the Traxxas XO-1 over a year ago it's a V1 i bought mine before the V2 came out i sometimes i wish i bought the V2 cause it's more stable and better to drive at low speeds. I put a Hobbywing Max 6 4985SL 1,650KV combo and ran it on everything from 4 - 8s bashing and only stripped a spur gear and bent a steel half shaft. I plan to buy a Limitless V2 sometime next year since i bought a Rlaarlo AK-917 Carbon chassis roller and put budget electronics in it since it was all i had lying around. But i plan to go Castle with all my on roads next year will mostly be basher setups since i do mostly bashing. But best of luck to you with your entry into the on road world.

I've made some progress.

I went with the Arrama Limitless. It seems to be gold standard, not that it's better, but the most popular. I did a build log on Arrma forums there are a lot of cross over people between this forum and that one. They are both run by the same people too. If you want to see it I've got all the details in the log... probably more details than you'll want to read. I figured it was more like my notebook because I wouldn't remember what the heck I did a year later, which is totally true. Long story short is I've gotten to 131 MPH on 8S. I'm a bit limited on space and the road turtles are annoying, but it is what it is. It's still got more in it for my road, just need to get back out there.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerolds-limitless-build.49292/

I've also built a Rlaarlo AK917. I had grandiose ideas of actually being competitive with the contest, but I was mostly plagued with my own bad ideas. I last crashed it a measly 76 MPH and need to do a bit more work to get it back on the road. The coolest thing I did with that one is the Traxxas 4-tec hub upgrade. It's in my build log on this forum. I probably need to figure out how to upgrade the back hubs too. They are made of glass.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/

The Habaos are a work of art!

I've made some progress.

I went with the Arrama Limitless. It seems to be gold standard, not that it's better, but the most popular. I did a build log on Arrma forums there are a lot of cross over people between this forum and that one. They are both run by the same people too. If you want to see it I've got all the details in the log... probably more details than you'll want to read. I figured it was more like my notebook because I wouldn't remember what the heck I did a year later, which is totally true. Long story short is I've gotten to 131 MPH on 8S. I'm a bit limited on space and the road turtles are annoying, but it is what it is. It's still got more in it for my road, just need to get back out there.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerolds-limitless-build.49292/

I've also built a Rlaarlo AK917. I had grandiose ideas of actually being competitive with the contest, but I was mostly plagued with my own bad ideas. I last crashed it a measly 76 MPH and need to do a bit more work to get it back on the road. The coolest thing I did with that one is the Traxxas 4-tec hub upgrade. It's in my build log on this forum. I probably need to figure out how to upgrade the back hubs too. They are made of glass.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/

The Habaos are a work of art!
Glad to hear you're making progress unfortunately i don't know of any roads near me to do speedruns so i just build my cars for fun and drive them around my neighborhood. I plan to get a few more on roads in the next year or two a Limitless V2, Maybe another 4-Tec 2.0 this time a VXL if i can find one when i'm ready to buy one and maybe another XO-1 this time a V2 either i'll build one from a roller like my first one or go with an RTR.

Hey guys. Good stuff. Unfamiliar with the Rlaarlo. Did a search for and bookmarked the webpage. Interesting. I'm a 2S guy and the Rlaarlo looks good for that in 48P.

Checking out your build thread on this site, Jerold. Thanks. 'AC'

Hey guys. Good stuff. Unfamiliar with the Rlaarlo. Did a search for and bookmarked the webpage. Interesting. I'm a 2S guy and the Rlaarlo looks good for that in 48P.

Checking out your build thread on this site, Jerold. Thanks. 'AC'

On 2S it should be fine on 48p. I put in a big motor and run 4S and the 48P didn't last long once I was getting some of the power to the ground. Then it was time for the Mod 1 gear change. It's a complete custom setup at that point but it runs much smoother and I'm not worried about munching the gears anymore.

If you want to partake on a little adventure, the actual change is done here, another member figured it out and it's actually pretty easy.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/page-4#post-1390376

I show the math for the Mod 1 gear selection here. It looks ugly but skip to the end and use the calculator to help with the dimensions, if you need to. Or let me know if you have questions.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/page-3#post-1385590

Sounds like fun!

I've so far avoided contracting the Go-fast virus, but i have a couple of street models, one based on the Associated DR-10 platform.

Sounds like fun!

I've so far avoided contracting the Go-fast virus, but i have a couple of street models, one based on the Associated DR-10 platform.

It's definitely exciting knowing that you can throw you wallet out the window in about 1/2 a second. I was at my spot a few weeks back and there was another random speed runner there with his daughter and watched him crash at 100 something MPH into the curb, then fly into the bushes.

The damage wasn't too bad though. Some control arms and misc parts. Probably more work than money.

How's your speedrun cars going? If your wondering about mine my Rlaarlo has doing great for it's first week and i got it going really straight but it still spins out really easy but for bashing it's okay. My XO-1 is having some steering issues but i've narrowed it down the bellcrank, Servo and servo horn although i might try aligning the tie and camber rods before i spend the money on a servo, bellcrank or any other parts.

It's going well, but I'm taking a bit of a break at the moment. Some health issues have limited my time and energy for extra hobbies. Been playing with the crawler a bit more because it's less time involved.

The Limitless is solid and I'm hitting the limits of my road and ability. I need to work on my driving skills to get it up to speed faster and controlled. My PB is 131 Mph, but I'm thinking I should be able to get to at least 140 Mph on that road. It would be nice to have Raz's runway.

The Rlaarlo is a hand full and yet to have a day I didn't crash it. I'm blown away these guys are getting the big numbers from such a small car. The short wheel base and small tires don't do it any favors.

For the steering, I turn my dual rate way down to limit the amount of input I can give it. This works on good on the limitless. On the Rlaarlo I've had to crank the dual rate down and the throttle delay up and it's still a bit sketchy. I have a weaker servo to put in that may help as well. Realistically I don't need a 300 Oz-in servo on it, but it's what I had.

Also check your setup. I over sprung the Rlaarlo and it was bouncing on every little discontinuity in the road. Get as much caster as you can, it helps the car track straighter, the Limitless is near 20°, I'm not sure you can adjust that on the Rlaarlo? Just a touch of toe in helps keep it straight too.

I finally got the Rlaarlo going sort of straight and it took flight, did a back flip and broke again. I have to add some aero to the Rlaarlo, bat wings and a splitter, both of those should help keep it straight and on the ground.

Good to know, I might try turning down the dual rate on the XO and i might try tinkering with the turnbuckles as well before spending any more money. I might be buy a new radiolink receiver for my Rlaarlo next month if i have the money. Rlaarlo came out with a new Speedcar if you haven't heard it's the AK-787 on the same platform as the 917 but they will have a dual motor\esc model coming soon.

Good to know, I might try turning down the dual rate on the XO and i might try tinkering with the turnbuckles as well before spending any more money. I might be buy a new radiolink receiver for my Rlaarlo next month if i have the money. Rlaarlo came out with a new Speedcar if you haven't heard it's the AK-787 on the same platform as the 917 but they will have a dual motor\esc model coming soon.
I haven't seen a lot of people speed running XO1s, but there are a few YT videos with some big numbers and others with big crashes.

They sent me a teaser email and it looks pretty good. I noticed they have an option to mount the servo on the center brace, but it's kind of a goofy mount. They could have just as easily stood it on end and have the same space. Also it looks like an active wing. But the really need a splitter to keep the front end down.

This is the only stock dual motor I've seen car. However, I little suspect on the high end performance. It looks like 540 motors, with modest batteries.
2-1.jpg

I haven't seen a lot of people speed running XO1s, but there are a few YT videos with some big numbers and others with big crashes.

They sent me a teaser email and it looks pretty good. I noticed they have an option to mount the servo on the center brace, but it's kind of a goofy mount. They could have just as easily stood it on end and have the same space. Also it looks like an active wing. But the really need a splitter to keep the front end down.

This is the only stock dual motor I've seen car. However, I little suspect on the high end performance. It looks like 540 motors, with modest batteries.
2-1.jpg
That's the car but i don't think i'll get the dual motor one if i get one i'll do the single motor carbon version. but i currently want a 4-Tec 2.0 VXL provided i can still one and parts for it when i'm ready to buy one. Also i just got my XO-1 sorted out it turned out the steering dual rate was at 100 i turned it down 81 i also did some tweaking to the tierods and it now tracks straight under speed.

Back