Front axle issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DealBreaker

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, for some reason the drive shaft/axle that extends from the right side of the front differential seems to want to fall out of the wheel when I turn to the right... I thought it was b/c the axle was bent, so I replaced it and still having the problem.. I looked a little closer and it look like the axle slides farther into the differential than the left side dose. Is that even possible? What have I done wrong? I've only had the truck for a month and it seems to break every time I hit a pebble in the road... I though this was a tuff truck? :angry:

What exactly is breaking "every time you hit a pebble in the road"? The Savage is a tough truck, but like any rc, it needs maintenance. For the driveshaft issue, check your diff for play, which you should have shimmed already, and check the drive cup at the hub. Make sure all your screws are tight at the axle carriers, and make sure nothing is broken.

theres also springs in the drive cups. sounds like you lost one

Mine started doing it on the left side, come to find out it had o-rings in the diff cups and I lost one.

Thats right most savages have o rings in there diff and axle cups

The o-rings in the diff cups that go to the wheel axles to help center the bone in the cup so it doesn't fall out at full extension or when turning. I'm guessing you've lost or it was missing one of those.

Circled them here:
2011-0222-SavageDiffCupO-Ring.jpg

I don't see any for the actual axle cups though.

Sometimes ink pen springs work in a pinch as well. Cut a bit off and stretch it to the length you need. Depends on if there's any indents in the cup and if the spring can sit in them square.

Thats right olds there only orings in the diff cups not the axles i dont know what i was thinking

I try to use the o-rings in all of the cups, it helps keep them centered in the cup; the ball end of the axles ride nice and centered.

Got mine from the local Ace hardware, they have a vast assortment of stuff; I had also gotten stainless steel hardware there.

:first_place:Yes,:first_place: you where exactly right! It had everything to do with that sneeky o-ring... Went to the locale parts store and got some A/C o-rings that worked great. I ended up putting one on either side of the axle that kept things much more smoother!! Thanks for all yalls help and sorry it took me so long post back. I was just so frustrated with the whole thing.. I needed some time off! lol

Thanks again :D:D:D:D

Back