SK Modified Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serea71

RCTalk Champion
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Scale Builder
Welp, here's my new build, an SK Modified based off of real life Asphalt Modified race cars seen here in the Northeast. As I build, I will be trying my best to comply to SK-KAR rules, which is a class raced at those big events. I have no plans to travel to one, but crazier things have happened so who knows. Here's a video of what the cars look like and how fast they can be. (this is not my video)

Today, the first batch of parts arrived. The chassis itself is from Mertz Racing and it's already partially assembled. The rear suspension is simply a pod connected to a T-Bar on the main chassis with a damper tube on the left side only, and a metal bar inside some nitro tubing. SK-KAR only allows one damper tube on the left side, and no shock/center shock which uses a traditional piston, oil, and spring is allowed. A battery holder is also installed. Also included and already installed is a right side nerf bar to give the build some scale looks. The other small right side nerf wing can also be used instead if desired. Rear ride height adjusters, bearings, rear axle, rear axle spacer, 2 rear axle hubs, an 84T spur gear (any 64 pitch spur gear can be used) is also included. Speaking of axles, the rear axle is a direct drive spool rather than a differential. A differential can be used, but I preferred a spool. 2 bodies are also here with 2 scale 3d printed air cleaners. I bought 2 bodies so I can race one and display the other. After trimming, the body is attached to 3 points on the chassis. I still need to get a few more things before I can start building (especially the front suspension), but stay tuned as I'll constantly be updating the build here. Thanks for looking!

2023-08-09 006.JPG

Today I bought the tires and some aluminum and nylon hardware needed to complete the car. I'm honestly a bit frustrated that I had to purchase the hardware in bulk as it was hard for me to find and that I didn't need that much, but they were at least kind enough to give a 20% off discount. Still kind of ridiculous though. In a couple weeks when i'm not broke I'll be purchasing the front suspension parts and steering parts so I can finally begin building. My hope is to get the bodies at least trimmed, painted and aligned to the chassis prior to installing the electronics before the weather gets too cold for paint...

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

Make sure when you install the body the carbon chassis pan must be covered from the lower edge of the windshield back. I actually got protested because my body is a couple millimeters to far back. Make the front of the body at the front edge of the chassis. Apparently these SK guys take it very seriously.

IMG_4028.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg

Make sure when you install the body the carbon chassis pan must be covered from the lower edge of the windshield back. I actually got protested because my body is a couple millimeters to far back. Make the front of the body at the front edge of the chassis. Apparently these SK guys take it very seriously.

View attachment 170073

View attachment 170077

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to write that down in my notes. :) :thumbs-up:

Some parts have *finally* arrived in the mail. For whatever reason, getting ahold of the parts in the mail have been an issue lately. Shipping loves to take forever. Anyways, the hardware, tires, tie rods (i bought 2 sets so I can put one set on my other race car), and bullet connectors is here. I was really happy to see the tie rods are titanium. I also bought an extra push rod with a long RPM ballcup and some custom colored nitro tubing to give the chassis some personalization for the top damper system. The front end parts have been ordered and according to the tracking number, should be here Tuesday. Then I can *finally* begin building. I plan to order the Servo once the front end parts arrive. The lexan sheet will be used to make spoilers.

image0 (13).jpeg

The rest of the front end parts have arrived. I went to my LHS and they were kind enough to order the servo i need (as well as some more collars with the grub screws for the center push rod). I plan on dyeing the nylon spring cups and nylon screws and nuts next. When the servo and collars get here, I'd like to rebuild the center push rod system first, and then build the front end and finally the rear axle. Of course i'll share pics of my build when I can get to it.

image0 (15).jpeg

The servo and collars have finally arrived. This is the same servo model I use on my other pan car race car. I plan to dye the nylon screws and nylon nuts for the rear spoiler, plus the nylon spring cups tomorrow. I'll post photos of them once I get them dyed.

IMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3246.jpg

I caught the wall at speed and took out the gears on my Futaba 9650 servo so I am switching to a Savox metal gear servo.
These cars are so fast. I also bent the screws that hold the front suspension and damaged the wheels.
Season starts October 1

IMG_4143.jpeg

IMG_4144.jpeg

IMG_4190.jpeg

I caught the wall at speed and took out the gears on my Futaba 9650 servo so I am switching to a Savox metal gear servo.
These cars are so fast. I also bent the screws that hold the front suspension and damaged the wheels.
Season starts October 1

View attachment 171109

View attachment 171110

View attachment 171111

Ouch! I'm gonna try to take it easy on my driving and practice a lot once my build is complete. The track at my LHS is small and has very tight corners (and the carpet is super slick). It's nearly identical to Martinsville Speedway would be the best way to describe it. The owner of my LHS had to outlaw traction compound because locals here don't know how to use it properly and they make a mess) I'll definitely keep this servo in mind if I keep breaking the gears inside. Oof, those screws took a beating for sure! Are those titanium? I got titanium screws to hold the front suspension for mine. For $20 for 4 screws, I hope it'll be worth it.

12393A-1.jpg

*sigh* alright, it took literally all day of trial and error, but I think the dye came out okay. The shade is a little darker than I'd like but it is teal. It's weird because it kind of gives off a translucent teal directly under a light. Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it. :)

IMG_3250.jpg

I got some more practice in today. At my track 3.8 seconds is a very fast lap. And I have been at 4.2 for a while. I finally got the ride height and tires and gearing sorted and I am running 4.0 all day and a couple 3.9s with some more practice I can get a 3.8.
I bought a tire trying set up. Now j can maintain my
Own tires.

IMG_4192.jpeg

Update on the plastic dyeing, I wasn't really satisfied with the teal so I dyed a set in black. I think I'll go with the black instead.

IMG_3251.jpg

Update on the build, the center damper system has been rebuilt and I put in the front suspension in. I tried to mount my servo and then frustration happened. idk if i got bad screws or what but the screws completely mangled the servo mounts and getting the screws out only made it worse. I asked Frank at Mertz Racing if I could buy some replacements. A set back that I really didn't need because I feel like I'm losing time to get the body painted in decent weather. Also, getting the right side nerf bar was a pain as it was getting pinched by the RF suspension. I reamed the holes in the carbon fiber a bit which seemed to help.

IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

The screws are not metric in those mounts and the top couple holes require a short screw. If that helps

The screws are not metric in those mounts and the top couple holes require a short screw. If that helps

They were 4-40 screws but I believe you're right, they were too long. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, I just wish I didn't break them lol.

Alright, so I found the mounts and some smaller screws and ordered them. Still kinda annoyed that this costed me an extra $25 but that's life I guess. I planned to use that money for paint, but the paint isn't in stock at my LHS anyways.

Untitled.png

Got the new servo mounts and screws in and made some more progress. The smaller screws definitely made installing the servo a breeze. I also installed the servo horn brace and ball studs and also installed the tie rods. (still needs alignment, i plan to do that tomorrow.) I lubed the damper plunger on the LR with 5k grease. I also have 10k,20k, and 30k, but I felt 5k would be best. I then put the rear ride height spacers in with their bearings (this will be adjusted once the car is all done) and went ahead and installed the rear axle, the 84T spur gear (i plan to buy more teeth sizes once the car is complete), spool spacer, and shims to my liking. I shimmed the front axles to my liking as well and installed the wheels, however I did not screw in the screws for the rear wheels or tighten the axle hub clamps yet. I'll do that after the body is trimmed. Lastly, I did make more adjustments to the center damper system. I had a shock mount eyelet thingy I liked more so I trimmed that to fit the shock tower, and also used brass grub screws to tighten the collars. I used brass because it won't damage the rod inside the tubing.

IMG_3341.jpg
IMG_3342.jpg

Back