Axial AX24 scratch build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
Got an Axial Ax24 and am really liking it!
Of course the upgrade bug hit me early, but I resisted amy temptation to hack on the factory one. I decided to do a custom scratch build and keep the original stock.
This could get pricey, so I set a budget of $400 (I hope I stay within it).
Looked at a bunch of frames and didn't like any of the AX24 offerings so I naively figured that a SCX24 frame would fit... NOT!
Not knowing this I ordered this CF/titanium SCX frame from Amazon- seems like there's a lot of other variants also available there. I got the titanium one to see if I can do some heat anodizing and add some rainbow colors.
titanium frame $18
I wanted to stretch and widen it so I got this link and driveshaft extension set, also Amazon. Front +6mm, rear 18mm extensions.
link and driveshaft extension set $26
Got this too.
Skid plate $11
After getting these parts I discovered that the skid plate mounting is different between the SCX and AX. OOPS!
Gotta get creative... I figured that if I got a pair of CF AX side plates I could Frankenstein them together,so I got these
CF side plates $13
I was able to cut the "ears" off the AX plates and attach them to the inside of the SCX frame. With a little finessing it went together OK. I had to mount the fabbed up skid plate/AX side plate assy about 3mm lower than stock (not a bad thing) and slightly bend out the bottom of the frame to snug it in.
For the gearbox, I found this "2 speed" setup on Amazon, really it's just an overdrive for the front axle (not a bad thing).
Gearbox $24

Assembled all those parts, so far so good. Here's the rest of the parts I have either on hand or on order for the next stage.
Meus Racing Nylon portal axles. Cheaper and will "slide" better (I hope). Also adds 4mm width each side.
Portal axles $52 a pair
Servo set with mounts
Servo set $25
Stock driveshaft set
Driveshafts $8
Shocks 48mm
shocks $18
Adjustable steering links
Steering links $16 a pair
Wheels/tires- negative 7mm offset 62mm dia.
Wheels/tires $36
And the biggie... Furitek Stinger for the AX24
Stinger $135
I'm going to use a DumboRC X6PM-350 TX/RX I already have, it has channel mixing so I should be able to do steering mode switching. Also has endpoint adjustments for the first four channels.
TX/RX $36, already have one.

Mandatory tools for this scale are a MIP .050" hex driver and a M1.4 tap. Saves a lot of fastener headaches. Also got a SCX24 screw set just for spares.
The quality of the RampCrab stuff is really good! Fit/finish is spot on and the prices are decent.
All the parts should be here this week, in the meantime I'll try the titanium heat anodizing. If that fails I'll just CF vinyl wrap the suckers.
So far the damage is $345 (not counting the skid plate which is replaced by the Furitek one and the radio which I already have).
I'm not including batteries, I have a bunch on hand.
This leaves me with about $55 for the rest of the build. We'll see if I can stick the budget.
Here's some "in progress" pics:
PXL_20240120_134116832-EDIT.jpg

PXL_20240120_134257233-EDIT.jpg

Finally got most of the parts in. Of course there was a lot of assumptions/guesses I made that were stupid wrong. :dummy:
Since I think SMP motors are totally cool I got a Komodo instead of the Stinger. Hypnotizing to watch that 'lil beast rotate!
Everything went together mechanically surprisingly well with the main issue being the driveshaft lengths. Had to do some cutting to get them to fit.
The electronics are a different story.
Couldn't get the RX/TX to do 4WS switching properly so I got a controller from Bastens ($32) that works perfectly. Assigned the steering switching to CH 6 on the DumboRC X6PM-350 TX (right next to my thumb) so now I have front, 4 wheel, crab and rear easily switchable with one hand. The Bastens even lets you lock either the front or rear wheels in one position and still steer with the other end all with wheels driven. Only issue is it's big- same size as the RX and Lizard Pro ESC.
Meus also makes a 4WD controller ($13) that is much smaller. I have one on order, we'll see if it works as good (I hope).
AS the pics show, there is very little room to put all this stuff. I'll add some wider skid plate wings and move some stuff there. As of now it's kind of a messy kluge but I think I can squeeze everything in a little neater with wider skid wings.
After lashing it all together it runs really well. I kept my original AX24 totally stock and this beast totally wipes the floor with it. Still have a lot of tuning and fitting but all things considered I'm pleased. I haven't added up the final cost, but I think I'm still around the projected $400 budget.
Final weight is 438 g, front 230 and rear 208. Wheelbase is 162mm and track width is 105mm.
I did switch the tires to some D/J Crawler 72 x 27mm pins with two stage foams and some Injora rims with -7mm offset. Awesome! Kinda medieval looking but work great.
Next is to find a cool body to house this monster. I've got a clear stock one, may use it w/ some slick paint. Lots if options...
PXL_20240131_015923568-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240131_020032944.jpg
PXL_20240131_020020109.jpg
PXL_20240131_020143524-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240131_021347857-EDIT.jpg

Awesome looking build, but what exactly are those shocks doing?
For now they are placeholders... :shame:...one of my bone headed ideas that reality intruded upon.
Got some parts coming to get them up where they belong, along with some other stuff.
Lots more work to do.
I'm not a crawler guy, any assistance or suggestions are more than welcome!

For now they are placeholders... :shame:...one of my bone headed ideas that reality intruded upon.
Got some parts coming to get them up where they belong, along with some other stuff.
Lots more work to do.
I'm not a crawler guy, any assistance or suggestions are more than welcome!
Well, for that truck, the shocks are laid down quite a bit in stock configuration compared to standard crawlers. What that does is lower your spring rate, while theoretically giving the suspension more travel, at least if there are no other things like the chassis impeding travel. It can also lower your ride height if the spring rate is such that adding angle to the shocks allows them to squat. The more angle, the more squat you can get, but that requires the springs to be on the verge of compressing with them straight up and down.

For crawlers, I find squat is where it's at. Moreso in the front. On small trucks, it seems the springs are always way too stiff. So getting squat typically requires adding sprung weight to the chassis to get the springs to function correctly. But doing that raises your center of gravity, which is not good.

So for me, the best way to get a good stance is to get the springs on the shocks to be darn near fully compressed with the truck just sitting level. On our C10, the shocks only have maybe 1/16" travel left, and I love the way it looks like a spider crawling over stuff. This is the only vid I have of us running it, but you can see how the suspension works at nearly full squat.

And if you notice, the trailer has zero squat. If I add weight to it to allow it to squat some, it would handle the bumps better and look more natural.

When you get done with this bad boy... I want a detailed parts list because this thing is going to look wicked 😉

Last edited:
Oh hey man... I was just looking at these tires and thought of your build here. How cool would these look on there? Even if only as an optional look. JConcepts King Fling 1.0 tires.
Screenshot_20240131_105702.jpg

Your build looks like some badass hillbilly built monstrosity, and a lot of those folk love their mud boggin' 😉

So for me, the best way to get a good stance is to get the springs on the shocks to be darn near fully compressed with the truck just sitting level.
Looking good in the vid :thumbs-up: great music!
I'm reading thru the SCX/AX24 posts on the forum, lots of real good info. Thanks for the tips, the shock mounting stuff will be here today then I can get working on proper shock placement. I'll have some questions for sure.
I've been building 1/24 static kits for sixty years, it's so much more fun to work on these. They do way more than just sit on a shelf (like draining my wallet)💰.
Your build looks like some badass hillbilly built monstrosity, and a lot of those folk love their mud boggin' 😉
I never know what direction my builds will go, they kind of evolve on their own.
Really happy with the D/C crawler pins, they make a bogger version also.
Mud boggers
1706718136985.png

Looking good in the vid :thumbs-up: great music!
I'm reading thru the SCX/AX24 posts on the forum, lots of real good info. Thanks for the tips, the shock mounting stuff will be here today then I can get working on proper shock placement. I'll have some questions for sure.
I've been building 1/24 static kits for sixty years, it's so much more fun to work on these. They do way more than just sit on a shelf (like draining my wallet)💰.

I never know what direction my builds will go, they kind of evolve on their own.
Really happy with the D/C crawler pins, they make a bogger version also.
Mud boggers
View attachment 180407
Yeah, I love your crazy cool builds. You should show off your 24th models again. I think you showed us some when you first joined here.

And those are some sick looking mud tires. If you don't mind, I'd seriously love to copy your build to some extent. Especially that body. What model is it?

If you don't mind, I'd seriously love to copy your build to some extent. Especially that body. What model is it?
Good question! I built it about 5 years ago and the box is long gone... Here's a pic of it before I hacked it up last night. I'll dig around and see if I can identify the kit. If anybody recognizes it shout out! Of course you (or anyone else) can copy or use elements of this build. I'll be glad to answer any questions.
PXL_20220610_141342142.jpg

Here's where I'm at now. Got the wider brass skid plate and wings today, as well as a pair of AX24 CF chassis plates. Going to cut off the ears and mount them to the chassis to get the upper shock mounting positions in a better location. Also removed a lot of the existing frame to get stuff to fit better. Still lots of finessing left to do but things are coming together. Any suggestions on shock angles, lengths etc. would be wonderful.
PXL_20240131_204640120-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240131_203841296-EDIT.jpg

Good question! I built it about 5 years ago and the box is long gone... Here's a pic of it before I hacked it up last night. I'll dig around and see if I can identify the kit. If anybody recognizes it shout out! Of course you (or anyone else) can copy or use elements of this build. I'll be glad to answer any questions.
View attachment 180414
Here's where I'm at now. Got the wider brass skid plate and wings today, as well as a pair of AX24 CF chassis plates. Going to cut off the ears and mount them to the chassis to get the upper shock mounting positions in a better location. Also removed a lot of the existing frame to get stuff to fit better. Still lots of finessing left to do but things are coming together. Any suggestions on shock angles, lengths etc. would be wonderful.
View attachment 180416View attachment 180417
The picture of it al together let Google lens find it easily.
https://www.autoworldstore.com/products/mpc-1936-wild-one-modified-1-25-scale-model-kit
MPC929M_WildOneModified_PKG_front_1000x.jpg

There are other versions of the MPC kit I believe. Lots of different paint schemes turned up.

As for shock angles, do what looks right man. I would maybe cut those sacrificial rails in half and clamp them on the frame securely with small c-clamps. Then you can mount the shocks and see how they travel. That should get ya in the ballpark.

Edit...
Oh, I looked closer. You already have holes there. Heck yeah, I think you're in business there if the holes line up.

Last edited:
As for shock angles, do what looks right man.
Since I'm new at crawlers, that's a dangerous assumption :dummy:
Cut the ears off the AX24 CF side rails and mounted them up. Seems much better- at rest with all the gear loaded on the shocks are almost fully compressed.
Had to do a lot of hacking to get all the suspension and driveline stuff to not interfere with each other and still fit the body.
PXL_20240201_190235115-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240201_190218965-EDIT.jpg

The Bastens Quadsteer works perfectly but will definitely not fit. The board is small, but to protect his IP the manufacturer potted the module with 3D printing :mad: I respect that but makes it unusable for this rig.

PXL_20240201_192656458.jpg

Oh well, it will probably go in my Ridgerock build. I'm hoping The Meus module, which is much smaller will work. It's still on it's way from China, maybe get here next week. Meanwhile I'll work out a body mounting system.

Since I'm new at crawlers, that's a dangerous assumption :dummy:
Cut the ears off the AX24 CF side rails and mounted them up. Seems much better- at rest with all the gear loaded on the shocks are almost fully compressed.
Had to do a lot of hacking to get all the suspension and driveline stuff to not interfere with each other and still fit the body.
View attachment 180482View attachment 180483

The Bastens Quadsteer works perfectly but will definitely not fit. The board is small, but to protect his IP the manufacturer potted the module with 3D printing :mad: I respect that but makes it unusable for this rig.

View attachment 180485

Oh well, it will probably go in my Ridgerock build. I'm hoping The Meus module, which is much smaller will work. It's still on it's way from China, maybe get here next week. Meanwhile I'll work out a body mounting system.
Brotha, you just designed a completely new RC. That thing is sick.

Back