before i throw this thing away hpi rs4 WTF

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IzeusI

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i come from a tmaxx 2.5 with a 3.3 so i have some knowledge but this rs4 i can't get to run right, i see no low speed needel, no gear box, do on road cars have no gear boxes? the one time i did get it running the high speed was almost out and it moved very slowly and hardly any smoke was coming out of the exhaust? i included some pictures so maby some one can identify whats what. and any one know whats a drop in replacement motor for it? thanks for any help

2mn216a.jpg

xdh46q.jpg

9knvi9.jpg

Thats an early HPI 15 FE, it only has a single needle, no hi and low speed needles, you will never get a good tune with that pos carb. Take that engine off, use HPI's trade in program and for 65$ throw an HPI .18 on it

well stated thank you, I was just about to say looks kike the 15. will hpi give me the 18 with the trade program?

I have the RS4 Evo, which is a two-speed gearbox and shaft drive, but this is the previous model. This RS4 is a single speed and belt driven. There's no gearbox, per se, on the car. The older HPI small-blocks have a high-speed needle only, so yes, there's no low-speed needle like what you're used to on your trucks.

Do you know how much fuel has run through the engine? it's possible the pinch is gone, or you could have a serious air leak somewhere like an engine bearing or the primer in the fuel tank or something. I'd check the pinch (does the flywheel offer resistance and "pop" as it passes TDC?) and reseal the engine.

As for replacements HPI has an engine replacement program and you could send that in for one of their T-15 (.15) or G3.0 (.18) engines for something like $69. I'm pretty sure it would bolt right in.

HTH...
Mark

Dang, these guys posted while I was still typing (dang finger splint!)...

Anyway, found this link too, it's for the RS4-2, but compares it to the original RS4...

http://archive.hpiracing.com/kits/heritage/n2-m.htm

It says the original RS4 has a .12 in it, so if that's the case you'll see a nice improvement with the .18 in it!

Oh, and the exchange is $65, not $69. You can get the G3.0 (.18), as it says any small-block for their small-block, you can't trade in an old 15FE and get a F4.6 big-block for example.

HTH...
Mark

Last edited:
You've got an old single speed model RS4 with what I guess to be either a HPI 12fe or an HPI 15fe engine and it only has a HSN.
It used to be easy to find engines that worked with this car - but I had a hard time finding examples for you.

The pull-start version of this Picco will work - but I couldn't find any for sale.
http://www.teampicco.com/Motori/p1-12-seevo.html

Here's a used Nitro Star 15fe that I know will fit (I've run these engines in the past)
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Racing-Nitr...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ac10beb6

I THINK these HPI engines may work:
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/15101/
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/15107/

You need a threaded shaft like these guys have, but I believe that these engines have motor mounts in it's base - so it depends upon how tall your motor mounts are.

You'll see what I mean if you enlarge this engines pic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hpi-Nitro-star-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eafb6f016

well ill be calling hpi tmrw hopefully they say no problem on the trade in but my next thought is id like to get rally and drft tires but if it takes some room to get up to speed because of the single speed i wont even bother keeping this just sell it, so will it still "fly" off the line? theirs no point in putting drft tires if i need room to just get it fast

If you're planning on selling it I wouldn't bother getting a new engine.
These old RS4's don't hold their value (check eBay) - especially one without any special hop-ups.
It's an even bet that you'll lose whatever money you put into the engine.
If you do get a new engine, it'll be zippy - but won't compare to a two speed or handle as well as a modern chassis.
I think that you can still get parts to make it a two speed btw.
That particular RS4 was an early chassis that (if memory serves me correctly or if the story I was told) was one step away from it's electric predecessor.

I am 99% sure that is an RS4 2, the original RS4 had a silver chassis, not purple. They did make a two speed for them at one point, but I am guessing it may be a tough find at this point. You will also want to add belt tensioners if you do plan on keeping it and running it. Belt drives do not make good parking lot runners, one tiny pebble or rock and your belt is toast. I agree though, if you are going to sell it I wouldnt put any coin in to it, you are not going to get it back.

According to the link I posted RS4-2 had purple deck, so yup...

The 2-speed has been discontinued from HPI, so eBay or a forum would be your only bet to find those parts (or another RS4 2 parts car)...

I'd go back to my original post and check for air leaks, reseal the engine, etc. If you can get it running and hold a tune just doing that you'll have a simple parking lot basher without spending the coin for another engine...

HTH...
Mark

It could be the original RS4 with a replacement chassis plate or an RS4 Racer too.
The RS4 racer came with all metal shocks and these look like they have plastic bodies (I can't tell for sure from the photos).
The RS4 Racer was my first car - takes me back.

You got nothing to loose by trying to get it running.

eBay is the best place for parts although Tower Hobbies still carries the three belts (A847, A848, and A849) if you need them.

If you go looking for parts make sure that you're looking at parts that fit your car.
There's electric RS4's, RS4 3's and Super RS4's out there and I don't think that a whole lotta parts are compatible.