Make it good or get a different one?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have any clear bodies, but luckily those are all over eBay for pretty low prices

Just this purple metallic
Do you happen to have any 2 speed rs4 2 parts?

I just so happen to be interested 😄 how much for a complete one, don’t care on gearing, but my dad had his setup as 37/44 13/20(I believe the faster) but I will take whatever you got. I think I have enough parts to just need a clutch and clutch bell(the transmission ones not the engine ones) but a complete one would also rock

I have to check to see what I have
Did you happen to get a chance to look? Also you wouldn’t happen to have a 2 speed pilot shaft right? The longer one for the 2 speed, HPI A806

Not yet, and yes I have a brand new pilot shaft
Willing to sell it? I did some digging and found I just need a pilot shaft and the clutch that goes inside the 2 speed

Not yet, and yes I have a brand new pilot shaft
$50 for the gearbox $10 for the pilot shaft
I just bought a 2 speed off eBay for 150, and it came with everything, I prob should of bought yours but, oh well. Thanks though, and keep an eye on the forum, I just started ordering parts, so stuff should start coming in.

Well it’s been a little while, I was on vacation. However while I was on vacation some things came in. Being the idiot I am I didn’t take a lot of pictures, I may be able to upload more tonight if I can find them but this is it for now.

There’s the rs4 2. Most of its parts came in. The os .15 cv(still waiting on parts to convert it to a cvx), the 2 speed transmission, the 5 star wheels and the x patern tires, c6 corvette body. Engine mounts, battery, and maybe more that I’m forgetting.

The past few days I’ve been getting to it. Started by painting the body black and backing it with while(actually looks pretty close to the Pontiac grand priz that the rs4 had on it 21 years ago) glueing the tires. Then I gave it a good cleanup. Took off the top deck and put a new throttle servo in it(futaba s3003) and cable managed it pretty good. Then I opened up that 2 speed, started by doing the clutch assembly for it(btw I used 8x5x2.5 bearings instead of that poopy roller needle bearing, highly recommended to all with these hpi clutch bells that don’t use just 2 bearings). Once that was done I built the new 2 speed(so awesome I found that new). Put it in the car, the mounted the motor. Setup the electronics and endpoints, trimmed the body and BOOM. Rs4 2 almost done, I say almost because I’m still waiting for the os parts to arrive. But it does run. Last night I ran it for the first time in a year(had it going a little bit last summer but tbh it kinda sucked because I had a bad engine, single speed, and it was just falling apart basically) but this is the first time I’ve really had alot of fun with it(I did have it electric at one time but that got pretty boring after a battery or 2).

So yeah, she is setup pretty good, and once I finish the engine it will be even better. I will try to get a vid of it going and post it up on here, along with a photo of it under the body(I didn’t take any because I wasn’t expecting to make this post today)

Keep an eye out for updates and other builds, thanks for reading!

E64A9AB6-86A1-4FAC-ABBD-58C7846BB01D.jpeg

2DCEA848-4F2C-4591-9A3E-81EDA628A4CE.jpeg

Alright, got pics last night, flipped it and scratched the head(dont ask how I flip an on road car) but my god this thing rips like a bat out of hell, also I agree @Defiant, the rs4 2’s are much more fun to drive than the 3s, different animals so that’s probably why but I digress. Here are the pictures(also a motor pic with its new backplate) if I can today I’m gonna run again and get some vids

11C0B7E9-83D2-4C14-8A4C-16BAAA05AB0D.jpeg

4DDBA571-3055-4F8C-9C46-6DD4483E83BB.jpeg

D93290FE-CE06-4BFD-838C-FD2AD66EC1FD.jpeg

81D9D688-2E4F-43F5-8320-CEA5EB613BA8.jpeg

846D9C63-2A44-4792-8AAE-47BE375B09FB.jpeg

E2B3EEFE-3F6A-4AE0-8F66-5A994A04C04A.jpeg

2A8028D8-5A98-4D60-87F4-57A74CC03E12.jpeg

Hello all, so I have in my possession a very meaningful truck(I’m a very nostalgic person). It is an rs4 2 that originally my dad had back in 2000 ish, he had it and used it as his main on road(he did mostly off road nitro so this was one of his only nitro on roads) around 2010 when I was somewhat young he got some rs4 3s, both built to the hill, one electric one nitro. So he retired it, and a few years later, he converted it to electric for me to use, now years later (around 2020) I converted I back to nitro and although it was always running, it always felt insuperor. Not as good as the 3’s. Now like I said, this car means a lot to me, which is why I need help with 2 decisions, 1: buy a rs4 3 and leave this guy sitting on the shelf(because I really only need one nitro on road as I mostly do off road). Or 2: build this guy the best I can and have fun.

Now, I’d like to go with the ladder, however, I need your guys’ help. I don’t have a ton of experience with these belt drive ones, but the goal is to make this car as close to a rs4 3 as possible, when it comes to driveabilty at least. I would to do a 2 speed, so Andy help with that and especially clutch things, pulleys, belts, a lot of driveline stuff I want to make bulletproofSo help me out, if any of you had these trucks back then or have them now, advise me as to make this the best rs4 2 possible! You can of course tell me to just get a rs4 3, but I really do want to make this car work. It has a lot of value to me, also the reason I would not sell it ever.

thank you guys! Here are some pictures of it, the ones with the black body are from 2002, the orange body is current(the engine is not mounted, I can’t figure out a clutch situation

View attachment 164024

View attachment 164025

View attachment 164026

View attachment 164027

View attachment 164028
Very cool! I wish you the best of luck. I have been into RC cars,planes, helicopters drones,boats ect my whole life as far back as I can remember and have an absolutely massive collection these days... However... The old school nitro RS4 v2 with the HPI .12 was the very first RC car I ever actually built myself from a kit. Thanks for posting. Brings back many wonderful memories. I look forward to seeing updates on your progress....
Built my RS4 when I was 14. here I am 25 years later and still remember it..

Very cool! I wish you the best of luck. I have been into RC cars,planes, helicopters drones,boats ect my whole life as far back as I can remember and have an absolutely massive collection these days... However... The old school nitro RS4 v2 with the HPI .12 was the very first RC car I ever actually built myself from a kit. Thanks for posting. Brings back many wonderful memories. I look forward to seeing updates on your progress....
Built my RS4 when I was 14. here I am 25 years later and still remember it..
Sweet dude! And yeah this one is considered “old school” but honestly it’s one of my favorite platforms right now. I gotta update this thread soon with more pictures of what’s been going on with it, I also have an rs4 3 build coming up too