Make it good or get a different one?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenTlover12

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello all, so I have in my possession a very meaningful truck(I’m a very nostalgic person). It is an rs4 2 that originally my dad had back in 2000 ish, he had it and used it as his main on road(he did mostly off road nitro so this was one of his only nitro on roads) around 2010 when I was somewhat young he got some rs4 3s, both built to the hill, one electric one nitro. So he retired it, and a few years later, he converted it to electric for me to use, now years later (around 2020) I converted I back to nitro and although it was always running, it always felt insuperor. Not as good as the 3’s. Now like I said, this car means a lot to me, which is why I need help with 2 decisions, 1: buy a rs4 3 and leave this guy sitting on the shelf(because I really only need one nitro on road as I mostly do off road). Or 2: build this guy the best I can and have fun.

Now, I’d like to go with the ladder, however, I need your guys’ help. I don’t have a ton of experience with these belt drive ones, but the goal is to make this car as close to a rs4 3 as possible, when it comes to driveabilty at least. I would to do a 2 speed, so Andy help with that and especially clutch things, pulleys, belts, a lot of driveline stuff I want to make bulletproofSo help me out, if any of you had these trucks back then or have them now, advise me as to make this the best rs4 2 possible! You can of course tell me to just get a rs4 3, but I really do want to make this car work. It has a lot of value to me, also the reason I would not sell it ever.

thank you guys! Here are some pictures of it, the ones with the black body are from 2002, the orange body is current(the engine is not mounted, I can’t figure out a clutch situation

48B00500-5CD9-4240-AAE7-78571C02F12B.jpeg

AC6B4FFE-1656-43E7-8CC2-AADDD28B9BD1.jpeg

EBF9B7C8-5772-4396-B085-526EC4363937.jpeg

BEC98EC8-3566-416C-BB5A-2DE5F749F9B2.jpeg

CA15B30B-8CCA-499C-BD7F-8BA252EBE504.jpeg

Pics ain't working. @Defiant @gandalfnz would be great help. I know Defiant has a belt rs4. All 3 of mine are rs4 3 shaft.

The ebay user below is my plug for rs4 parts. He's always getting 2 speeds, rare aluminum and titanium parts in. I'm not sure on the difference between shaft and belt 2 speeds, but this guy should. If you buy an exhaust, the rs4 has right side and left side. The side of the chassis you motor is on is the side pipe you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1258862946...f9h99Y+YqfEJg/LbdAtu8Nag==|tkp:Bk9SR-rDzc30YQ

Rs4-3 is technically superior but imo the belt drive rs4 is a better and more fun car. The gears of the two speed are compatible but the shafts are much different, I would definitely look for new belts and get all 3 belt tensioners especially the rear because that belt tends to wear out the most.
Pics ain't working. @Defiant @gandalfnz would be great help. I know Defiant has a belt rs4. All 3 of mine are rs4 3 shaft.

The ebay user below is my plug for rs4 parts. He's always getting 2 speeds, rare aluminum and titanium parts in. I'm not sure on the difference between shaft and belt 2 speeds, but this guy should. If you buy an exhaust, the rs4 has right side and left side. The side of the chassis you motor is on is the side pipe you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125886294642?hash=item1d4f686a72:g:u6kAAOSwncFkPA2G&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwEjrTzA+m0EQ5uXRw8QD5Hb1SxxeaDNzvKiFX71rL9HeAwI3yh0A87VgshikI2lPNO+GxrG5kKL+OnxkD7//xumKsgKftRRHsvU/OwUwsm7Px5i75eh8nE9kMwG8YadksA1AhOLHMEcSKME3ZDWBO8+JydThMWcx1A3ezQ38fIcrz4mtm3oFZwuiyEa+f7ips18+CvqS59upFfyoAtbgdKCZZCVhSyH0h/FQ3SqquSf9h99Y+YqfEJg/LbdAtu8Nag==|tkp:Bk9SR-rDzc30YQ

If you message Matt directly on Facebook he will sell you his parts for a lot cheaper than his eBay prices.

I believe I have a spare 2 speed off a RS4-2 that I don’t need

Rs4-3 is technically superior but imo the belt drive rs4 is a better and more fun car. The gears of the two speed are compatible but the shafts are much different, I would definitely look for new belts and get all 3 belt tensioners especially the rear because that belt tends to wear out the most.

If you message Matt directly on Facebook he will sell you his parts for a lot cheaper than his eBay prices.

I believe I have a spare 2 speed off a RS4-2 that I don’t need
Good to know but I don't have any social media. Off the grid so to speak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125886294642?hash=item1d4f686a72:g:u6kAAOSwncFkPA2G&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwEjrTzA+m0EQ5uXRw8QD5Hb1SxxeaDNzvKiFX71rL9HeAwI3yh0A87VgshikI2lPNO+GxrG5kKL+OnxkD7//xumKsgKftRRHsvU/OwUwsm7Px5i75eh8nE9kMwG8YadksA1AhOLHMEcSKME3ZDWBO8+JydThMWcx1A3ezQ38fIcrz4mtm3oFZwuiyEa+f7ips18+CvqS59upFfyoAtbgdKCZZCVhSyH0h/FQ3SqquSf9h99Y+YqfEJg/LbdAtu8Nag==|tkp:Bk9SR-rDzc30YQ
Fixed the images, looks to me like most of what he sells is rs4 3 stuff unfortunately

Fixed the images, looks to me like most of what he sells is rs4 3 stuff unfortunately
Some parts are interchangeable and he has had belt parts before.
Your cars look nice. See almost nothing Pontiac nowadays. Digging the check pipe. Always wanted one of those, a Ron Paris, and the one with a t.
Any particular body your after?
I have 3 m3s, a factory, a need for speed one I'm painting, and the yellow m3 from the Gumball 3000 I'm wrapping.

Now, I’d like to go with the ladder, however, I need your guys’ help. I don’t have a ton of experience with these belt drive ones, but the goal is to make this car as close to a rs4 3 as possible, when it comes to driveabilty at least. I would to do a 2 speed, so Andy help with that and especially clutch things, pulleys, belts, a lot of driveline stuff I want to make bulletproofSo help me out, if any of you had these trucks back then or have them now, advise me as to make this the best rs4 2 possible! You can of course tell me to just get a rs4 3, but I really do want to make this car work. It has a lot of value to me, also the reason I would not sell it ever.

thank you guys! Here are some pictures of it, the ones with the black body are from 2002, the orange body is current(the engine is not mounted, I can’t figure out a clutch situation

It looks like it already has a few good upgrades on it, and a 2 speed as well. What’s wrong with the clutch?

Keep in mind that parts for the belt drive RS4 are much harder to find and therefore you should expect to pay more for parts and upgrades vs a rs4-3

Some parts are interchangeable and he has had belt parts before.
Your cars look nice. See almost nothing Pontiac nowadays. Digging the check pipe. Always wanted one of those, a Ron Paris, and the one with a t.
Any particular body your after?
I have 3 m3s, a factory, a need for speed one I'm painting, and the yellow m3 from the Gumball 3000 I'm wrapping.
Definitely after some body’s, the 4th gen Camaros, the body that I currently have on there(orange one) and the one that was on the car in 02
It looks like it already has a few good upgrades on it, and a 2 speed as well. What’s wrong with the clutch?

Keep in mind that parts for the belt drive RS4 are much harder to find and therefore you should expect to pay more for parts and upgrades vs a rs4-3
No it doesn’t have a 2 speed, it did in those old pictures, not sure what happened to it over the years, so I’m still interested in yours for sure. And I can’t find a clutch bell without those stupid roller bearings, honestly I know the right bearing size I have to order but just have been procrastinating, the other issue is related to the shoes, I don’t have the right ones I believe so I need to be guided In the right direction for that too

Nice looking cars. Restore them of course then have lots of fun driving them.
Unfortunately all my RS4's are shaft driven, I have no clue about parts interchangeability.
I tried to stay away from belt drive cars (I have one belt drive Kyosho), as once a pebble gets stuck in there, its game over for the spur gear.
They are super durable though, belts I mean.

Good luck!

Definitely after some body’s, the 4th gen Camaros, the body that I currently have on there(orange one) and the one that was on the car in 02

No it doesn’t have a 2 speed, it did in those old pictures, not sure what happened to it over the years, so I’m still interested in yours for sure. And I can’t find a clutch bell without those stupid roller bearings, honestly I know the right bearing size I have to order but just have been procrastinating, the other issue is related to the shoes, I don’t have the right ones I believe so I need to be guided In the right direction for that too

You can use the threaded clutch bell for the nitro 3, they take ball bearings

Well I got bored and ordered a rs4 3 and rebuilt it😂 still gonna make the rs4 2 good but I wanted a 3 anyways.(don’t judge the body it came with it and I need to find a new one, because I’m not an expert but I don’t think Niassn makes a skyllin in real life lol(that’s actually how they spell it on the body) if anyone has a extra body lmk

320AF0FA-6E02-400C-BD77-A95AA6645F32.jpeg

DFA90CD4-C1D5-4F3E-AF6A-FDEB585496FE.jpeg

9B122223-0355-4DBC-91A7-1886AECBA34F.jpeg

6CF3BC49-A719-469D-BF6B-9AD5F2C02637.jpeg

Well I got bored and ordered a rs4 3 and rebuilt it😂 still gonna make the rs4 2 good but I wanted a 3 anyways.(don’t judge the body it came with it and I need to find a new one, because I’m not an expert but I don’t think Niassn makes a skyllin in real life lol(that’s actually how they spell it on the body) if anyone has a extra body lmk

View attachment 164519

View attachment 164520

View attachment 164521

View attachment 164522
Nice looking body, but yeah, someone had dyslexia when they made those decals 🤣

Love those Super Stars too.

Nice looking body, but yeah, someone had dyslexia when they made those decals 🤣

Love those Super Stars too.
Yes man! They are by far my favorite wheels, I do dig the super radials, but I prefer the x pattern tires more, but they were what I had in hand, still gonna swap servos, body, wheels and tires(prob x pattern and silver or gray super stars) and maybe the fuel tank

View attachment 164519

View attachment 164520

View attachment 164521

View attachment 164522
Nice tuned pipe there. I’m selling a body that’s brand new and direct fit
1578BBD3-EA83-4687-B1B4-FBB2276BDDFC.jpeg

Got any others? It doesn’t have to be painted I can handle that
As said ebay. Hpi has a bunch of 200mm clear. If you search 190mm or 200mm clear you will get alot of options. Anything inpaticular?

As said ebay. Hpi has a bunch of 200mm clear. If you search 190mm or 200mm clear you will get alot of options. Anything inpaticular?
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix, just like the pictures for the rs4 2 from 2002, and for the rs4 3, a 4th gen Camaro or a r32 or 34 would be cool