Nitro rs4-2 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldvod

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
When i went out of town i found this neat hpi belt driven nitro which i believe is an rs4-2. The chassis is in nice shape but I'm sure with how i drive it won't stay that way.
I also got a few goodies such as a thunder tiger 12 and aluminum rims. The tires are worn but i'll keep them on there for now.
I also visited a hobby shop who had hpi#a907 and hpi#a935 brand new of course i had to get them.

My plans for this build :
1. Run it! I won't add a ton of bling parts even if i'd like to.
2. Make it look decent. Currently the bumper is falling apart and the stock body is cracked. The chassis also has some dirt on it.
3. Make it semi unique. I found some interesting parts that i hope i can install onto it. For example i found an mip touring car pipe and a tsais pipe which mimics a side exit pipe like an old corvette
4. Learn. The ultimate goal for me is always to learn about the rc i'm working on while having a bit of fun

I'll update you all when I continue this weekend!
Please excuse my poor quality photos I currently don't have a good backdrop and my lighting is poor
20240101_200236.jpg

20240101_194449.jpg

20240101_194858.jpg

20240101_195231.jpg

It’s a solid foundation, even has a 2 speed! And a racing fuel tank! A new foam bumper is luckily still produced and very cheap #6274

I’d recommend a new belt kit (aftermarket sets are available on eBay for a good deal) and CVD shafts.

Since you scored a sweet A907 pipe you’re all set there, they don’t get better than that 👍

It’s a solid foundation, even has a 2 speed! And a racing fuel tank! A new foam bumper is luckily still produced and very cheap #6274

I’d recommend a new belt kit (aftermarket sets are available on eBay for a good deal) and CVD shafts.

Since you scored a sweet A907 pipe you’re all set there, they don’t get better than that 👍
Thanks for the recommendations i'll be sure to pick up a belt kit. Hpi a907 is the gear brace apologies for the confusion heres the link. By any chance do you know how to adjust the ball bearing tensionner? I put a top down photo underneath
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/a907

20240102_205637.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations i'll be sure to pick up a belt kit. Hpi a907 is the gear brace apologies for the confusion heres the link. By any chance do you know how to adjust the ball bearing tensionner? I put a top down photo underneath
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/a907

View attachment 178387
Ah gotcha, I thought you meant A970 tuned pipe, which I do have one for sale!

Technically because you have a 2 speed, that belt tensioner should be flipped with the adjustment screw being on the bottom side.
C4C6EC6B-3E84-46BC-BDAC-42057A5AD283.jpeg

Ah gotcha, I thought you meant A970 tuned pipe, which I do have one for sale!

Technically because you have a 2 speed, that belt tensioner should be flipped with the adjustment screw being on the bottom side.
View attachment 178394
Thanks! I figured you'd know. I'd probably buy it but shipping to canada would be pricey

Since my .18's pinch is non existant I decided to go with the .12 i got. Which i hope will work.
Though to fit the fly wheel i'll need a new flywheel collet because the .18 is threaded while the .12 is not.
Other than that i'm hoping it'll work.
I also appreciate that the pull start spring undid itself when i took it off. Luckily it was super easy to rewind.

20240103_132104.jpg

I didnt do much this weekend. I flipped the tensionner and now I await parts and funds

20240107_142306.jpg

Found a collet and got the .12 installed. I ordered parts last night and they shipped today. Hopefully they arrive this weekend so i can continue. I'll have to undo it all when i get the belt ordered.

20240115_215646.jpg

20240116_084629.jpg

Got my parts on order now I need to purchase 2 servos, belt kit and maybe bearings! Today i installed brand new schumacher slicks that i had orginally installed on my smarttech. I perfer them like this and the body on my rs4 cover the tires

20240121_161515.jpg

20240121_161512.jpg

Did more work earlier this week just been too lazy to post it.

New bumper

I installed the new pipe. I like it a lot but i had to do some modifications to make it fit.

Installed a new belt. I'll order the other 2 off ebay.

Also trimmed the body though sadly it makes it a lot fatter and makes it so i have no suspension travel om the right side. I'll buy new body post to raise it. Maybe a new body if i feel like painting

To do list:
Aluminum tape for the fuel tank and body. Hopefully that'll prevent any damage from happening.

New belts

New bearings if needed

Servos

Reciever for my flysky it3c

20240122_191646.jpg

20240122_211814.jpg

20240122_193315.jpg

Did more work earlier this week just been too lazy to post it.

New bumper

I installed the new pipe. I like it a lot but i had to do some modifications to make it fit.

Installed a new belt. I'll order the other 2 off ebay.

Also trimmed the body though sadly it makes it a lot fatter and makes it so i have no suspension travel om the right side. I'll buy new body post to raise it. Maybe a new body if i feel like painting

To do list:
Aluminum tape for the fuel tank and body. Hopefully that'll prevent any damage from happening.

New belts

New bearings if needed

Servos

Reciever for my flysky it3c

View attachment 179954

View attachment 179955

View attachment 179956

I think that pipe is for a stadium truck or MT, looks much too big for a touring car.

For these cars your only real options are:

HPI A870 can-style muffler (cheapest option)
HPI A869 side muffler set
HPI A970 tuned pipe and header set
HPI (or dynamite) header + any slip fit LH touring car tuned pipe.

If you upgrade to a higher-end rear exhaust style engine, then you’d have much more exhaust options.

I think that pipe is for a stadium truck or MT, looks much too big for a touring car.

If you upgrade to a higher-end rear exhaust style engine, then you’d have much more exhaust options.
Just make sure if it's a left or right side. Ask me how I know. 🤣

It too large but i bought so i'm going to use it at least for a little bit. I'll look into those option