Axial Ryft Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning... rant below.

Ok. I hit some roadblocks this weekend. My GT3B will not bind to two brand new receivers I have. I'm not sure what's going on there, so I will just use my GT5. But I spent the better part of the day trying to get the Tekin Hotwire 3.0 working, but it only works when connected to the ESC through the USB port and the PC app. So frustrated here I am ready to catch fire. And Tekin isn't open on the weekends 🤬 Horizon hobby, as figured, was no help at all since it isn't their product.

I did manage to get the ESC calibrated and setup using the PC app, but I really wanted to leave this programmer connected so I could dial it in in the field, but read the next paragraph...

Huge gripe - you have to disconnect the fan to plug the Hotwire in its place to use it. And the port on the ESC to do this is waaaaaaaay too tight to make this easy. It has taken me every bit of 10 minutes each time I have tried to plug one of those cables back in there. It's RIDICULOUS!

Hobbywing and Castle stuff is looking more appealing at this point.

Last edited:
Feel your pain, we've all been there at one time or another. Especially the fat fingers in tight areas. I struggle with that in my rc planes.

I was watching some vids on the Hotwire. They mentioned having trouble plugging it and the fan in too. I will probably remove the case and just file the opening bigger.

I got a new ESC mount designed so the on-off switch can be mounted. Version 3 lol. I went ahead and uploaded all the files for the ESC and shift servo adapter to Thingiverse if anyone wants to print them for their build.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5320500
Screenshot_20220317-064244_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Got the electronics all dialed in and wires cleaned up. This is really cool when I got to thinking about it. This is the transmission, motor, ESC, Rx, Hotwire, shift servo, all mounted to the center crossmember of this rig. It's really impressive holding all that in one hand. It makes ya wonder how hard would it be to just bolt the axles to this and be done with it 🤣🤣🤣
20220318_112159.jpg

20220318_112214.jpg

Just a little video update of the ESC and stuff. It's so fun to have the kiddo here this week. So we will be wrapping this build up very soon.

Last edited:
Quick update. Painting the body panels, which I eventually wanted to replace with carbon fiber, but I am diggin' this look. Created by spraying first with Tamiya PS-23 Gun Metal, then a dabbing with crumpled foil, then a shot of PS-63 Bright Gun Metal, more foil, then backed with more PS-23
20220319_172001.jpg

Interior is painted and decaled. Has to use a heat gun on a few of them to follow the curves, but they are good decals for that. Also got the side panels done. Still need to add a bunch of sponsor decals.
20220319_204253.jpg

20220319_204321.jpg

Breydon wanted the navigator looking at the drive as if he was saying "WTF BRO?!"
20220319_204311.jpg

Last edited:
Those panels are awesome! 😍 That's a cool trick I hadn't seen before.
Thanks
You can do that with plastic wrap too for a really cool marbled effect. Or take shelf liner that looks like all the little rubber balls and lay it in the wet paint and gently press it in, then remove. Then spray what ever color you want for a carbon fiber look in that color.

Thanks bro. I am trying to get him to stop playing video games and finish the build before bed. It's killing me. We got the links, sway bar, axles, and tires to do. Maybe an hour's worth of work and she's ready to take on some furniture!

The drivers makes me think of Daft Punk.
Lol, yeah they do resemble that don't they 😉

Your color choices work...:thumbs-up:
Thanks. I wish the red on the cage came out a bit more red, but the plastic was grey. I added a few more decals. Will get more pics when she is finished today.

What shock are you putting on it?
The stock ones are actually really awesome.
20220320_154748.jpg

We got to within about 15 minutes of wrapping it up and pizza showed up. Will be done in a few. Breydon is in an Oculus game right now running around the kitchen like a monkey. I mean, he is playing as a monkey in the game. And it's funny watching him run around like a monkey with a VR headset on.
Screenshot_20220320-164837_Video Player.jpg

This thing is gnarly, and I love the colors your doing too very slick! What's the WB on this rig, and I've been gone awhile and curious how it sizes up to a wraith!

Keep it up!

Back