Axial Ryft Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Finally got the rest of the parts ordered for the Ryft kit, so it's time to start a build thread. Will hopefully be able to knock this one out this coming weekend. 1st up, the unboxing vid.

So far, we got the cage dyed and the shocks and links assembled. We started with Rit Tangerine dye for the front. The rear shows the original light grey color.
20211229_101545.jpg

Then the rear went into a vat of Rit Scarlet Red.
20211229_130011.jpg

A quick vid on dyeing the helmets...

To assemble the links I designed and printed a tool that would slide onto my 8mm hex driver bit so I could use the Milwaukee hex driver. It took every bit of 5 or 6 minutes maybe to assemble all the links.
20211230_083532.jpg

20211230_162600.jpg

Then I 3d printed a shock stand to fill the shocks after assembly.
20211230_221732.jpg

20211231_023750.jpg

Then the long wait for funds to accumulate for the Tekin electronics. I just ordered the Tekin RX4 ESC, Tekin ROC412 HD 2300Kv sensored motor, and the Tekin T440 HV High Torque servo. Also grabbed the Tekin 3.0 Bluetooth programmer and a servo horn set for the 2-speed shift servo. The servo chosen for the shifting duty is a Hitec HS-70MG Ultra Torque Micro servo. I hope this fits 😜

We got started on the diffs and axles. This is a long video. There is really a lot to this kit. So far everything is fitting pretty nice, except one of the shafts in the diff had a defect in the finish, preventing the spider gear from going on. One diff got a spool, so there were extras anyway.

These axles look more like 1/10 scale semi axles 😜 Shown next to a 1/10 scale 1.9 wheel. So far, fit snd finish is excellent besides the one little defect with the shaft.
20220306_040103.jpg

Episode 2 of the build series is up and we got the links and transmission done, minus the shift servo. I had to 3d print an adaptor. More to come on that little dilemma.
20220306_111655.jpg

Got the electronics installed. 3d printed some parts for the shift servo and a mount for the ESC and switch. It requires a full length pencil to reach through the cage to turn the power on and off, but we just leave it on.

Next up we button up the chassis, bolt on the sway bar, and start on the panels. Thanks to the instruction manual having some errors, this vid gets cut short.

More coming soon!

Last edited:
Finally got the rest of the parts ordered for the Ryft kit, so it's time to start a build thread. Will hopefully be able to knock this one out this coming weekend. So far, we got the cage dyed and the shocks and links assembled.

Started with Rit Tangerine dye for the front. The rear shows the origonal light grey color.
View attachment 142568

Then the rear went into a vat of Rit Scarlet Red.
View attachment 142569

To assemble the links I designed and printed a tool that would slide onto my 8mm hex driver bit so I could use the Milwaukee hex driver. It took every bit of 5 or 6 minutes maybe to assemble all the links.
View attachment 142570
View attachment 142571

Then I 3d printed a shock stand to fill the shocks after assembly.
View attachment 142572
View attachment 142573

Then the long wait for funds to accumulate for the Tekin electronics. I just ordered the Tekin RX4 ESC, Tekin ROC412 HD 2300Kv sensored motor, and the Tekin T440 HV High Torque servo. Also grabbed the Tekin 3.0 Bluetooth programmer and a servo horn set for the 2-speed shift servo.
View attachment 142574

The servo chosen for the shifting duty is a Hitec HS-70MG Ultra Torque Micro servo.
View attachment 142576

More to come soon.
Really nice stuff for the build. I'm going to enjoy watching and learning. Keep on truckin'.

Going t o be cool build keep the pics coming.. And P.S. that Milwaukee driver impact is just way to clean to say ur doing work 😉.

Going t o be cool build keep the pics coming.. And P.S. that Milwaukee driver impact is just way to clean to say ur doing work 😉.
It only has a few hours on it. I had the exact same one a few years ago, but my apartment got robbed while at work and the bastards took it. It is clean because it never leaves my workbench. I even designed and printed a stand for it and my rotary tool.
20210807_131942.jpg

No way that’s cool!!

Pretty cool shock stand Kev.
Thanks. It does the job. But I will likely redesign it to use interchangeable collars to fit different shocks.

I just realized I have some painting to do yet. The interior with two driver figures, the helmets need dyed red or tangerine, and there is a lexan hood panel and two side panels to paint. I have no idea what color to paint the panels. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Have to make me one 😉
My bday is in 9 months 😀
Thanks. It does the job. But I will likely redesign it to use interchangeable collars to fit different shocks.

I just realized I have some painting to do yet. The interior with two driver figures, the helmets need dyed red or tangerine, and there is a lexsn hood panel and two side panels to paint. I have no idea what color to paint the panels. Any suggestions?
What are the options?

What are the options?
I have tons of colors in my stash here. The cage being reddish maroonish and orangeish goldish is throwing me off a bit. So I think black base for the panels with some stripes or something in chrome, or grey, or maybe some flames in red/orange. Need help here.

Or maybe just black panels with sponsor decals.

Black and Red are my favorite colors 😉
I say Black
Black and Red are my favorite colors 😉
I say Black
It will go with the wheels and pop off the chassis

I forgot we had an unboxing vid to upload, so I added that to the first post here. Sorry about the camera position. We had it a little too far zoomed in.

Yea go black on the panels. I can’t find a radiator that will work on Misbehavin so I just went and bought some stuff to make one.

Yea go black on the panels. I can’t find a radiator that will work on Misbehavin so I just went and bought some stuff to make one.
I saw that. It's going to look great on there.

Should work thank bud.

Back