Axial Ryft Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing is gnarly, and I love the colors your doing too very slick! What's the WB on this rig, and I've been gone awhile and curious how it sizes up to a wraith!

Keep it up!
Thanks!
The wheelbase is 15.25". I don't have a Wraith, but if the Wraith flips over on its top every time you bump the throttle or turn slightly, this compares pretty well 😜

It really needs some hills to climb. We ran it on a flat field and it's not really built for speed. I remember seeing vids and people talking about running it on 4s, 6s, etc. But I really don't see the point. It's plenty fast on 3s for its capabilities.

If I'm honest, it's poop for a basher, or any kinda speed running. But it just looks killer. Oh, 3d printed a roof for it too. We already scuffed the cage, but this should fix that.
20220322_003235.jpg

20220322_002320.jpg

Liking the new top!
Yeah, I think it looks good up there. Going to smooth it out and paint it with what's left of the PS-23 to match the body panels. But I am guessing the paint won't stay there long 😉

Thanks!
The wheelbase is 15.25". I don't have a Wraith, but if the Wraith flips over on its top every time you bump the throttle or turn slightly, this compares pretty well 😜

It really needs some hills to climb. We ran it on a flat field and it's not really built for speed. I remember seeing vids and people talking about running it on 4s, 6s, etc. But I really don't see the point. It's plenty fast on 3s for its capabilities.

If I'm honest, it's poop for a basher, or any kinda speed running. But it just looks killer. Oh, 3d printed a roof for it too. We already scuffed the cage, but this should fix that.
Excellent WB, probably pretty good CoG too by the looks of it! Yeah I never really "bashed" with these types of rigs, unless it's on a hill, rocks or a trail they are mediocre.

I hate running my crawler/scaler rigs fast or on jumps mainly because they are SAS, and a side axle impact is really hard on the 3 or 4 link setup compared to an IFS rig IMHO.

Excellent WB, probably pretty good CoG too by the looks of it! Yeah I never really "bashed" with these types of rigs, unless it's on a hill, rocks or a trail they are mediocre.

I hate running my crawler/scaler rigs fast or on jumps mainly because they are SAS, and a side axle impact is really hard on the 3 or 4 link setup compared to an IFS rig IMHO.
We just took it out and gave it a quick run in the field to test it when I noticed she liked to body roll. We were supposed to go somewhere today to run it, but I caught a stomach bug and felt like crap all day.

When I first decided I wanted this truck, we had a 12' tall dirt hill out front in our field that looked exactly like the ones rock bouncers race up. But it has since been flattened.

When I first decided I wanted this truck, we had a 12' tall dirt hill out front in our field that looked exactly like the ones rock bouncers race up. But it has since been flattened.
I hate when that happens! I'm running out of new places to try, I hope my current spot holds out for a while.

We just took it out and gave it a quick run in the field to test it when I noticed she liked to body roll. We were supposed to go somewhere today to run it, but I caught a stomach bug and felt like crap all day.

Nice, nothin wrong with a flat run for sure! I love to see bouncers in action up dirt or an actual mound course. If it's like my wraith, it takes a little bit to maintain med/fast climbs as they love that side to side action 😂😂.

I may have missed it, but is that a 2.2 rig?

Nice, nothin wrong with a flat run for sure! I love to see bouncers in action up dirt or an actual mound course. If it's like my wraith, it takes a little bit to maintain med/fast climbs as they love that side to side action 😂😂.

I may have missed it, but is that a 2.2 rig?
Yeah, it's 2.2. And there aren't many wheels that fit it because the massive axles. The inner diameter of the wheel needs to clear a lot of beefy components. Or you need big wheel spacers.

Yeah, it's 2.2. And there aren't many wheels that fit it because the massive axles. The inner diameter of the wheel needs to clear a lot of beefy components. Or you need big wheel spacers.
Is VP, or vanquish products still a thing? Back in my earlier crawling days they had a fine selection of wheels and different width hubs to make it all clear

Yeah, Vanquish is still kickin. But I don't see anything there I really dig. And nothing they have that I have looked at is available. Treal makes some nice wheels specifically for this truck, but not sure they go really well with the overall theme. I mean they do, but they are black with shiny aluminum bits, and I would prefer all black. I am scared to buy any wheels for this, because nobody lists the internal rear diameter, which is the critical dimension for this truck.

I bought these wheels... https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Fuel-Offroad-Hostage-22-Beadlock-Wheels_p_4517.html

But I found them on Amazon for $52. Super, super nice wheels, exceptional quality, but the damn things just won't fit because of this diameter being so small, and the width is about 1/4" too narrow.
Z-W0196-5.jpg

Yeah, Vanquish is still kickin. But I don't see anything there I really dig. And nothing they have that I have looked at is available. Treal makes some nice wheels specifically for this truck, but not sure they go really well with the overall theme. I mean they do, but they are black with shiny aluminum bits, and I would prefer all black. I am scared to buy any wheels for this, because nobody lists the internal rear diameter, which is the critical dimension for this truck.

I bought these wheels... https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Fuel-Offroad-Hostage-22-Beadlock-Wheels_p_4517.html

But I found them on Amazon for $52. Super, super nice wheels, exceptional quality, but the damn things just won't fit because of this diameter being so small, and the width is about 1/4" too narrow.
View attachment 144231
Will these help maybe?
https://gpm-parts.com/product/axial...-adapters-6mm-thick-8pc-set-gpm-rbx010-6mm-r/

Possibly. But the wheels I have are too narrow as well. The tires on the Ryft are FAT!

Is the cage paintable? As in has anyone painted this kit and have paint stay on during use?

I am thinking 100A HobbyWing ESC and ~2200KV SENSORED motor. Spectrum shift Servo and steering brand x digital.

You can paint it, but it's going to get scraped off.

Good looking rig, Kevin. I like the open chassis exo-skeleton look. Your comment on hill climb capability is well received. I've always felt RC hillclimbing could use more support. Perhaps for the reason you listed. Finding useable hills are a challenge these days. At least here in Houston. Only hills around here are the landfills.

At one time there was a local track owner south of Houston willing to dig a pit for RC hill climbing if there was an interest. Like me, he cut his racing teeth at motorcycle hill climbs. Once it gets in your blood, it's there for good. Regrettably, not enough interest to go any further than the asking.

Too bad on the wheel issue. Niche product like the Ryft take a dedicated build for a wheel. Not always doable in today's market. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

Good looking rig, Kevin. I like the open chassis exo-skeleton look. Your comment on hill climb capability is well received. I've always felt RC hillclimbing could use more support. Perhaps for the reason you listed. Finding useable hills are a challenge these days. At least here in Houston. Only hills around here are the landfills.

At one time there was a local track owner south of Houston willing to dig a pit for RC hill climbing if there was an interest. Like me, he cut his racing teeth at motorcycle hill climbs. Once it gets in your blood, it's there for good. Regrettably, not enough interest to go any further than the asking.

Too bad on the wheel issue. Niche product like the Ryft take a dedicated build for a wheel. Not always doable in today's market. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'
Yeah, I wish I lived somewhere with a hill outside. The Ryft would be a lot of fun. Regardless though, it is a helluva build. The quality of the parts makes me want to buy a lot more Axial trucks. Maybe I can get one to use these badass Fuel wheels on, like a Jeep 😉

Back