Anybody into bird watching?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I live a right on the Wetlands in Vegas and there are tons of birds to see, as well as a bird preserve just over the border around .5 miles away. We go when the weather is nice take pics enjoy the beauty of the area. Lots of fun.

20230310_151829~2.jpg
20230310_145507.jpg

in a 2x2 mile area I know of atleast 6 nesting pairs and about single 8 adults and same younger eagle . thanks for ddt ban .
nicest looking bird I've seen was a cedar crested wax wing and his mate.

in a 2x2 mile area I know of atleast 6 nesting pairs and about single 8 adults and same younger eagle . thanks for ddt ban .
nicest looking bird I've seen was a cedar crested wax wing and his mate.
I have been up around the great lakes. A couple times in Chicago. We saw one there, of all places lol. I was in Eerie one time for a day and think I saw 3 bald eagles. They seem to like to be near water huh?

That reminds me of this from The Grand Tour show 😝
I went with my mom one year to visit my uncle in AZ.
We were sitting on a bench in his yard and humming birds would fly to her ear to checkout her earrings. So cool! 😆
Resized_20220616_160829.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the list I keep of birds I have seen from my backyard.
Sparrow English
Song
HouseFinch
Chickadee
Wren
Robin
Starling
Cat bird
Blue jay
Blue bird
Woodpecker red belly
Harry woodpecker
Downey woodpecker
woodpecker pileated
Oriole
Wax wing
Kestrel
Cardinal
Crow
Raven
Bats
Cowbird
Pigeon
Dove
Hummingbird
Vultures
Hawks
Bald eagles
Ruby throated grosbeak
Gold finch
Owl
Grackles
Titmice
Mallard duck
Indigo bunting
Green Heron
White bested nuthatch
American Redstart
Night hawk
Blackbird
Lesser nighthawk.
Dark eyed junko.
Red wing blackbird

Sparrow English
Song
HouseFinch
Chickadee
Wren
Robin
Starling
Cat bird
Blue jay
Blue bird
Woodpecker red belly
Harry woodpecker
Downey woodpecker
woodpecker pileated
Oriole
Wax wing
Kestrel
Cardinal
Crow
Raven
Bats
Cowbird
Pigeon
Dove
Hummingbird
Vultures
Hawks
Bald eagles
Ruby throated grosbeak
Gold finch
Owl
Grackles
Titmice
Mallard duck
Indigo bunting
Green Heron
White bested nuthatch
American Redstart
Night hawk
Blackbird
Lesser nighthawk.
Dark eyed junko.
Red wing blackbird
Now that is awesome!:thumbs-up:
I have a bird identifier booklet that I keep near my window but never made a list. Thats a good idea.!

That's just downright impressive. Especially all from your backyard! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:
Sparrow English
Song
HouseFinch
Chickadee
Wren
Robin
Starling
Cat bird
Blue jay
Blue bird
Woodpecker red belly
Harry woodpecker
Downey woodpecker
woodpecker pileated
Oriole
Wax wing
Kestrel
Cardinal
Crow
Raven
Bats
Cowbird
Pigeon
Dove
Hummingbird
Vultures
Hawks
Bald eagles
Ruby throated grosbeak
Gold finch
Owl
Grackles
Titmice
Mallard duck
Indigo bunting
Green Heron
White bested nuthatch
American Redstart
Night hawk
Blackbird
Lesser nighthawk.
Dark eyed junko.
Red wing blackbird

Do you guys have Cardinals? We have a lot of them here and I have noticed something pretty cool from one here. He makes this call, and the first time through, he does 0 whistles at the end. He does it again, and whistles one time at the end. Then he does it again and whistles twice. Then 3 times, 4, 5, etc, all the way up to about 10 times. I've never heard a wild bird count like that, but he does it every morning, and never miscounts. He always starts at 0 and goes to at least 8 before flying away. I just thought this is kinda weird behavior. I'm 52, and never noticed this before now. This I believe is the same Cardinal that returns every year with his mate to nest in a bush out back. They always nest on the same branch of the bush too. Fascinating pair of birds. I'll try to get you guys some pics. I never have my phone out there.

Funny enough, if you watch the end of this vid, right after Breydon signs off, this is the same bird in the background, doing the same call. He has many calls, but this one is the one where he counts. He counts to 10 in end of this. But if you pay attention before that, he counts to 9.
Look who visited this morning..... 🤗
20230421_062227.jpg
20230421_062250.jpg

Yes to eagles liking to be by water(its easy lunch for them)but since our governor 3 ago disbanded the pickup of dead stuff(road pizza) its a major death zone on all roads..so its easy pickings for dead things seen 3 turkey vulchers having a blast swing intestines around at a state park I go to regur lay.I think that was there was of cleaning them out before eating

Yes to eagles liking to be by water(its easy lunch for them)but since our governor 3 ago disbanded the pickup of dead stuff(road pizza) its a major death zone on all roads..so its easy pickings for dead things seen 3 turkey vulchers having a blast swing intestines around at a state park I go to regur lay.I think that was there was of cleaning them out before eating
I have seen vultures do that before.

I saw a crane fly over the other day. First time I've ever seen a bird like that here.

We have cardinals, my favorite are the juvenile males when they molt. They have no head feathers or just one or two sticking up. I call them pin head.

In Iowa in winter the bald eagles line the Iowa river at the dam I use as a crawling location. The fish go through the dam and get stunned making them easy picking for the birds. People line the banks with cameras. In the summer the turkey buzzards warm their wings on the black gravel that lines the face of the dam. Dozens of them all standing around with their wings out. It’s amazing.

Sparrow English
Song
HouseFinch
Chickadee
Wren
Robin
Starling
Cat bird
Blue jay
Blue bird
Woodpecker red belly
Harry woodpecker
Downey woodpecker
woodpecker pileated
Oriole
Wax wing
Kestrel
Cardinal
Crow
Raven
Bats
Cowbird
Pigeon
Dove
Hummingbird
Vultures
Hawks
Bald eagles
Ruby throated grosbeak
Gold finch
Owl
Grackles
Titmice
Mallard duck
Indigo bunting
Green Heron
White bested nuthatch
American Redstart
Night hawk
Blackbird
Lesser nighthawk.
Dark eyed junko.
Red wing blackbird
Hey, hey, hey, do "bats" actually qualifies?!

I can see crain .herrins and a few others just by taking a 15 minute pedal..whitw.blue.spotted

We get Great Egrets here, they are cool to watch. Kind of surprising to see a big white bird in our climate. We also get tons of Canada Geese. They gather by the hundreds in the freshly harvested fields.

Last edited:
Back