Anybody into bird watching?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I love watching the birds. I don’t go out with binoculars and a funny hat. But I am always looking at them and my wife puts out seeds.
Tuesday I was working on a rainy day when I spotted this little orange fellow hiding from the rain. I showed it to my wife and now the whole bird club is all a twitter, as they say.

Apparently it’s a Scarlet Tanager and are very rare to see.

Attachments

• E5875A43-FC7F-4836-9BC4-BB521401F8A9.jpeg
    E5875A43-FC7F-4836-9BC4-BB521401F8A9.jpeg
    770.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 4075F359-AEB0-4B35-B4BB-E57BADEDBA28.jpeg
    4075F359-AEB0-4B35-B4BB-E57BADEDBA28.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 37
I was just standing outside earlier today watching a female Cardinal and a Robin building a nest in the same small tree like 2 feet away from each other. They return to the same tree all the time. I have seen them back there since I have lived here.

But just a few minutes ago I saw the male Robin sitting just above the tree on a wire, so I gave him a little whistle, and this crazy bird up in a bigger tree started going nuts making these crazy calls. He looked as if he was screaming at me for waking him up because before I whistled there wasn't a peep. It's dusk here, so they are all going to bed.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny that you made this post at the same time all this was going down.

That is a very cool looking little bird. Have you seen the movie "The Big Year"?

I’ve got a bunch different birds in my backyard.
Hummingbirds are cool especially when hover right in front of you, hawks, there’s also been a owl in yard at night
DD11AF87-CB9F-4985-8B39-FDE673EA85E0.jpeg
A6920857-618C-4E51-A688-A1CDF8949C93.jpeg

I love watching the birds. I don’t go out with binoculars and a funny hat. But I am always looking at them and my wife puts out seeds.
Tuesday I was working on a rainy day when I spotted this little orange fellow hiding from the rain. I showed it to my wife and now the whole bird club is all a twitter, as they say.

Apparently it’s a Scarlet Tanager and are very rare to see.
We have a bird feeder and hummingbird feeder outside our kitchen window. We can watch them all day long from our recliners in the living room.
I love it, very peaceful and there is one friendly little redheaded bird that likes to stare in the window and sing his little heart out.

Was at one time quite the active birder. Traveled in search of new sightings. Really enjoyed that.

These days birding activity is back yard and the odd trip to a local county park. Still enjoy it. Just a different pace. Up every day before sunrise to catch the early morning birds over a cup of coffee in the back yard. Quiet time is hard to find these days. Brings peace to my life.

Good seeing you guys come out of the birding closet. HeHe. J/K. Nice sightings, by the way. And yeah, I've still got the binocs and funny hat. :happy: Cheers. 'AC'

This fella just showed up looking for an easy snack. We have a lot of chipmunks at the bird feeder.
Very cool pic. I have seen & heard a couple of them calling out to hook up 😂 one sounds a lot different then the other, not sure which one it is male or female. Surprised I can hear anything with those fricking grey frogs chirping

Cool thread. Not a "bird" fan, but just nature in general. We've got the same thing with the same birds making nests every year in our same trees. Robin's, doves and Cardinals. A snake ate the Robin babies last year. Should have seen my wife trying to pull the snake out of the tree/bush while it was eating the babies. It was funny! (Not the birds, but my wife yelling at and yanking at the snake! 😂 )

Got lots of squirrels too. Got one of those little picnic tables for them. They love it, the birds and squirrels. It's a trip watching them fight over the peanuts. Put a trail cam on the tree and got some cool vids. The pics below of the baby birds are from my wife.

We also have about a dozen bumble bees that show up every spring to fight over the queen. It's a sight watching them fight mid-air. Crazy.

O...and speaking of frogs, my wife saw this and at first she was like "I don't remember getting this yard figure" 🤔😂 (the glove is to show the size of this thing!)
10220.jpeg

10275.jpeg

20220423_165448.jpg
20220504_191013.jpg

20220505_155416.jpg

10277.jpeg

10281.jpeg

10279.jpeg
10283.jpeg

The retention pond they just built behind my place immediately drew in what sounds like 100 frogs. I like going out at night and listening to them.
I enjoy the sounds of frogs and crickets at night........outside!
I've had crickets inside the house, and the chirping of a single cricket will drive you mad. It's like living The Tell Tale Heart.

Back