So, What R/C Did You Run Today?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of winter flying.
A1198EDD-3665-4752-B7BC-6AF063CEE546.jpeg

R/C runnings been on a pause here lately. Been a rash of intersection, street and parking lot takeovers by the 1:1 drift groups. Some social media organized; some ad hoc. LEO's really beginning to crack down with arrest's, charges and impounding of cars.

Call me paranoid, but all I'd need is an over-zealous LEO to tag me doing speed runs with my r/c in the industrial area. Street I run on has a lot of rubber lay-down, so suspect it is an after-hours street racing site. Sure don't want to end up as a test case for r/c use of public roads and streets.

Been scouting out prospective parking lots with the notion of asking permission of the owners to run r/c. But now, with LEO's going into parking lots as well as city streets, that's on the back burner as well.

Thinking going all-grass speed runs with the local ball field I've been using. May be the only immediate workable option.

Anyone else seeing an upsurge of drift car take overs and how are LEO's responding? Can't help but think this is eventually going to bleed over into r/c. And nobody has our back as r/c'ers.
I wouldn't sweat running an RC car on non-busy roads. There really are no laws against it that I know of. When I was a kid, the thought I might be doing something wrong never once crossed my mind. As long as your vehicle is parked off the road, you aren't tearing anything up, and are mindful of any possible traffic, I don't see why a cop would have a problem. If they pulled up while I was running I would just make sure I wasn't getting in their way and keep on running, but maybe not at full speed lol. You're paying taxes to use that road afterall. Who cares if your car is a bit smaller than normal 😜
A bit of winter flying. View attachment 161231
Are those hard to fly? Are they like 8 channel, or are the controls simplified?

Are those hard to fly? Are they like 8 channel, or are the controls simplified?
Extremely difficult!! You need a minimum of 6ch I believe. Most have some kind of stability mode now and some even have gps lock on them and will do certain tricks with the push of a button. But the regular flight mode is a very steep learning curve. I’ve been flying for just over a year now and only now can I fly without crashing. That’s if I’m not doing dumb stuff or trying something new.. Not only are they hard to fly, they are extremely difficult to setup correctly compared to surface stuff. Not to discourage anyone, it’s extremely rewarding if you have the patience for it.

Anyway my ADD is kicking in and I lost my train of thought… 🤪🤙

Extremely difficult!! You need a minimum of 6ch I believe. Most have some kind of stability mode now and some even have gps lock on them and will do certain tricks with the push of a button. But the regular flight mode is a very steep learning curve. I’ve been flying for just over a year now and only now can I fly without crashing. That’s if I’m not doing dumb stuff or trying something new.. Not only are they hard to fly, they are extremely difficult to setup correctly compared to surface stuff. Not to discourage anyone, it’s extremely rewarding if you have the patience for it.

Anyway my ADD is kicking in and I lost my train of thought… 🤪🤙
Judging by my extremely short flight time on Real Flight, I ain't investing in one of those anytime soon.

Took the E-revo and my buddies Fireteam out to the lake to bash around in the parking lot. Was a lot more fun than playing in the road in front of the house. I can't wait till summer when I can be outside a little longer comfortably. No breakages today, however yesterday the Fireteam didn't fair too well. Pro-Line wheels exploded where the removable hex bolts to the wheel. Cracked all the way to the bead of the tire. All 4 of them are done for... Hoping Pro-Line will warranty them. He also ended up snapping an A-arm and a tie rod on account of the wheel ejecting itself off the car unexpectedly. 😂

Drove the buggy at the carpet track for 3 battery packs and the slash for not even 3 minutes since the tire literally came off. And I always feel like something is stripped in the transmission. Idk.

@ahr43 I feel ya. This is a warehouse not 6 months old and resurfaced again. I stopped my late-night drives. Had a uzi or Mac 10 spray 10-14 rounds within a second 12:30 am. Also found a 9mm shell where I run my stampede.

I have both good and bad cop experiences. I had one pass by last weekend when I was working on the stampede on a dirt rail road access road. I was anticipating him turning around, he kept it moving. I actually had a construction worker say he felt better with me crawling around a few years ago.

20230305_075946.jpg

20230305_081005.jpg

20230305_081229.jpg

Wow, baka, I'd call that a big time take over of that docking area. To die for an area like that. Here in Houston, almost all docking areas are fenced, gated and topped with razor wire with no access even if I could get permission to run there.

You were running your 'Pede in the "marbles" - rubber dust from the burnouts and donut cutters? How was the traction? Get some good vids? Looks like a GoPro on the 'Pede's roof.

Did get a run in today with the Rustler. No traffic what so ever other than civilian security making mounted rounds at one of the facilities. Fingers crossed it stays that way, too. Yeah, lots of civil gunplay here in Houston too. Try my best to stay out of the flow of traffic so as to not get caught in a kill-zone somewhere.

Be careful out there RC running the streets, guys. Try to run in pairs so somebody has your back. Wish I could, but nobody in my neighborhood is into RC. Cheers. 'AC'

@ahr43 the marbles felt just like that! One shock has no fluid, one has a bent shaft, one old and the other brand new. Hope to get the suspension work done this week for next weekend. We all know they will be back. That is a gopro, I pulled out my brand new 7 for a comparison to my 3's. Gonna upload video tonight hopefully.

2022 saw alot of motorcycles in the warehouses. That got security posted everywhere. we do have some prison setups also. There was warehouses 3x this size that I can't touch. It's bad enough they have no trespassing signs up at this one.

The cops don't do much, wish I had it this easy way back when. I was outside a few weeks ago and after 2 hours of music blaring and engines and tires did you here a siren. And that was after most of them left at 3am. The areas used was 1.5 and 2.75 miles from home.

Snow camo! Glad you got out to play , even if it was a quickie. :)
That would look killer sitting in that pic all snow camoed out... for sure man.

Love the shot Xray!

I need to get back to 1/24 stuff.

Stampede 2wd sidewinder 3800. Crashed into the same truck, style, and year as the body I was running.

Screenshot_20230309_190251_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20230309_190245_Video Player.jpg

Its like 50* F and sunny here today , so I was able to get this 1/24 machine out for its maiden passes.. She looks so purty in the sun , you can't see the chameleon flake in the pics , but WOW it pops to the naked eye!! View attachment 160173
do you have instructions and files for me to make one of those?????

What motor and esc do you recommend? I want it to be brushless
I'd love to see one run with one of the Furitek Momentum motors.

Oh, just saw the vids. Very cool. The PN Racing 55t motor is what we're running in the Carnage SCX24. It's amazing to see it going that fast!