Why is the grass Greener? xxxnt/rc10gt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untchbl

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I've only made one race so far this season, using a rc10gt that I just recently aquired.

I'm already having thoughts of selling the gt as a roller and getting an adam drake xxxnt.

Am I a fool?

I see the new technology of the losi, the better handling, and what not, and then look at what the pro's are using, and really think the losi is looking better. They are actuallyusing losi parts. While Tebo and others with the gt's are using custom stuff. :boxing: :shrug:

So? Opinions?

Brandon

well i guess my actions are my opinion. I'm selling my HPI nitro mt as a roller this week. and I've already bought 2 drakes to race with. i have an onroad car that i race regularly and have decided to take up dirt as well. so i figured sell the bash truck and get the best race truck i can, that way i dont have to upgrade or buy a second later. i bought 2 since i found good deals. if your interested in 1 let me know. they both only have 2 races on them.

i should add, that my decision on the losi, was made after talking to the fast guys at the local track and a good friend of mine who used to race as well and now works in a hobby shop. everyone unanimously voted for the losi.

well, thanks for the info. Yeah, I'd be intereseted in one of your trucks. It could be a roller, or minus electronics or whatever. But yes I'd be interested. email me pics [email protected]

I'm wrestling with the idea of getting rid of bashing rig as well. (monster gt) I'd just need to get rid of my rc10gt as a roller to get your stuff.

Brandon

I think either can be great racers, but often the characteristics of one vehicle suits a driver better than another. Neither is a hands-down leader in the racing classes, both win a lot. The Losi does seem to be winning a little more these days, however. I think they're close enough, however, that driver ability and the setup makes more of a difference than the vehicle itself.

The Mugen MST-1 is the hot ticket around my area if you ask the local racers.

Any of the three can be great racers if you build them right and drive them right. I just beat a bunch of Losis (and a couple GTs) at my local track 10 days ago for the win with my GT, so I'm sticking with it! :)

Yes, the losi probably is more race inspired, but not as durable. The DE might be more durable, and I expect it is, but the sport is not very durable.

I know the RTR wasn't real durable. That's the truck I started with. One rough landing and you were working on it.

I didn't race though. I just bought the losi because the remote looked cooler... I know, I know, I'm an idiot. At the time I didn't know anything about this stuff, but 3 or 4 years (can't remember) and 5 grand later, I have a better idea.

For what I was doing, the GT probably would have been better suited. It's a little more user friendly with maintenance. The losi had a shiteload of adjustments all over it, but since I wasn't racing, they just became extra holes in case I stripped one.

After upgrading everything that stuck out (arms, shocktowers) to graphite, it was much more durable. Adding the RPM front bumper saved that things azz more times than I can count.

Just and FYI on the RPM bumper... it's worth the $6!

See, I think I might be better suited with the losi. I realize that it might break more, but I have a pretty good graspe on the whole "slower is faster" thing, so I can probably keep the truck on the track while racing. I don't see myself ever bashing it, with the exception of once in a blue moon, so that wouldn't be a problem. (This really holds true, since I'm pretty much ate up with the racing bug.)

I just don't know. lol I almost don't want to go to the trouble of selling all my AE stuff, just to switch.

Brandon

If you get the bumper and replace the rear pivot block with an al one and replace the arms and shocktowers with graphite, it's pretty solid.

I was just comenting on the RTR in stock form as being weak.

I think after replaceing this stuff, the only thing I'd break occasionally would be a rim or an arm.

I could handle that, That is going to be the norm with the gt anyway.

Brandon

O ya, the rpm bumper is well worth it, it has saved my rushe's ass MANY MANY times.

Well, The Drake is probably better handling because its is heaver meaning more traction.

The drake is not heavier, heavier does not mean better handling, heavier means less responsive, but yes more traction. The DE is lighter due to the graphite components.

and dammit, I want one. I'm making the change, if I can sale all my rc10gt stuff.

Brandon

Brandon,

Or you could make some suspension changes and have your GT drive like a losi. It is all in the shocks. THere are many ways to setup the GT to handle better and the cost is minimal. A shock rebuild kit, shock oil and a bit of time.

But, the choice is u to you. I thought about making the change last season. However, a fellow racer did before me. His lap times never changed by purchasing a new truck. I spent some time on the net and with my GT and drastically improved my lap times with a little suspension work. He spent $300+ to stay the same and I spent less than $30 to improve.

Mike

From what I can tell, the GT is easier to work on than the NT. Then NT has that center chassis brace that makes everything hard to work on. Heaven forbid your steering servo goes out on you on race day... you'll spend a good hour replacing it!

It's a good truck and since I never had the GT, I don't know the pro's and con's. Also since all I did was bash, I really don't know how the losi is on the track.

I agree, iflybyu. You can also add some RC10T4 parts to the GT to make it as wide as a Losi. Not sure what they are, but it's all over the 'Net.

I bought a Losi because I didn't like the steering of my GT, but I can drive my GT better than the Losi, so I'll probably sell my Losi. Neither is head-and-shoulders above the other, you already have the GT....I'd stick with it.

all good info. I did some research last night on the bettering the rc10gt. I think I'll probably stick with it and do the t4 upgrades.

What about shocks? Any threaded body stuff?

Brandon

I'm sure they're out there, but I don't care for threaded bodies. People who run them often use a shock spacer to make sure the threaded limiter is even from side to side, so...why not just use a spacer? Instant adjustment. And I've never had a spacer come off while running, but I understand threaded shocks can change during a run.