Help me build an RC10GT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamP

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just picked up 2 used cars this week. An HPI RS4 MT2 for my six year old. And an Rc10GT for me. I've never had TA truck but I want to build this one up nicely. The truck seems to be the RTR version and had been neglected recently. All the dust bushings disintegrated when I touched them. I took the car almost down to the frame, cleaned everything, and I need help with some components.
I have an t4.1 XP3-SS receiver/transmitter for it. I need help choosing an engine. I want to stay with a small block. 15 or 18. Also some advice on motor mounts, and gearing. The truck wont be raced in competition, just some backyard fun.
Thanks in advance
Rich
67876[/ATTACH]"]http://
2011-11-19_14-46-05_809.jpg

67878[/ATTACH]"]http://
2011-11-17_19-57-55_648.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-11-19_14-46-05_809.jpg
    2011-11-19_14-46-05_809.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 735
  • 2011-11-17_19-57-55_648.jpg
    2011-11-17_19-57-55_648.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 219
An os cvrx .18 will fit just make sure you get the one for replacing the traxxas pro .15. I currently have an rc10gt team version with the pro .15 and its a nice little truck. The gas tank is the same for the nitro tc4. I also run a 64 tooth spur gear and a twenty tooth clutchbell. Parts are not the easiest to find but tower sells the mount for the engine with the hardware. I'm considering putting an os .18 in mine but I'm waiting on funds.

Ok. Is there any reason I can't use the single speed clutch and gears from the stock motor? The stocker is an ae15. Thanks

Yes you should be able to. My clutchbell is stock from my first gen tmaxx and the spur is stock from ae. You might be better off re gearing if you're going to put an .18 in there.

Yeah I still have slot of research to do about the gearing. I don't want the front end standing up whenever I use the throttle but I don't want it to dog it off the start either.

An os cvrx .18 will fit just make sure you get the one for replacing the traxxas pro .15. I currently have an rc10gt team version with the pro .15 and its a nice little truck. The gas tank is the same for the nitro tc4. I also run a 64 tooth spur gear and a twenty tooth clutchbell. Parts are not the easiest to find but tower sells the mount for the engine with the hardware. I'm considering putting an os .18 in mine but I'm waiting on funds.

does it run good with that gearing? still has good acceleration? I've got an os 18, stock gearing 15/66. hit 36mph, and want to get the top speed up. was gonna try an 18t bell, but if yours run good i may try that gearing

and ya the cvr will use the same mount (as long its pull start mount) stock clutch, spur etc. heres what you need
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=7
and this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=ASCC8803&search=Go

My rc10gt is in the planning stages due to funds but if I do I'll probably keep the same flywheel and gearing but I will upgrade the clutch. As of right now with a fleet of 9 cars which includes my baja, there's other needs right now.

My rc10gt is in the planning stages due to funds but if I do I'll probably keep the same flywheel and gearing but I will upgrade the clutch. As of right now with a fleet of 9 cars which includes my baja, there's other needs right now.

ya i was referring that to RamP so he knows what to get for his

but hows the GT run with that gearing?

Thanks for the help and advice. I will be ordering parts soon and upgrade this thread as I do. ( just wait and see what I have planned for my backyard )

Are the parts for a gt2 compatible with a gt? Radio tray, fuel tank, servo locations, etc. I have a chance to buy an rcgt2 parts car and want to know if I can swap the goodies to the rcgt.

I have a gt and i want to put my .18 o.s. cv-r in it but what clutch bell and shaft work do i cut the shaft ? if you have pics or step by step and what will work .. id love it..

diggin up an old thread? There is a hobby town there in Billings MT. isnt there not? there used to be back in the 90s. I'm sure they could help.

diggin up an old thread? There is a hobby town there in Billings MT. isnt there not? there used to be back in the 90s. I'm sure they could help.

They suck ! If it's not traxxas or hpi they can't help you and have told me I should get rid of my associated rigs bc no one here has parts or stock parts.!?!? It's not like other friendly hobby shops I've been to in the past or at home in Ky . So that's why I'm looking here. They told me o.s. was a poopy motor and what I'm doing wouldn't work and I should buy a revo... F that ... :angry:

You need the one that fits the older tmaxx and rc10gt. If you have a different one then you'll have to cut the crank to make it fit. I believe you need engine number 11860.

Sorry for not being able to help more. The only advice I can give is to consider fitting an engine with a standard style crank shaft. The old school rc10gt used 3/16 X 5/16 flanged clutch bearings. they are too small and fail often.

Back