Why do you RC???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so beyond the fact that it’s fun and a great hobby why? Why do you RC? No matter what it is planes trains trucks ducks I don’t care if it’s an RC cat … hmmm next project idea … but why??? For me my uncle first introduced me to rc trucks a million years ago back when it was boys only and honestly I don’t remember if his were hobby grade or radio shack I just remember being in Nani’s kitchen being thought the secret recipes for meatballs and sauce Christmas cookies and homemade frosting and most importantly Gnocchi al Castelmagno among everything else and just watching out the window as he ran his trucks up and down the road my brothers n male cousins out there with him the whole time thinking I wish I was out there too now don’t get me wrong glad I was inside learning the secrets too but still fast forward honestly forgot about them till my current boyfriend of 3 years and I met when my husband and I moved to the same area I’d go watch him run them when I had to get away from the fighting when the inevitable happened and the husband and I split I watched the boyfriend work on his slowly over time learning my my kids who are autistic loved it so it was something they all did together I tagged along and watched well sadly we learned (and this is something I don’t like sharing to me for many reasons it’s embarrassing) i have a seizure disorder but they are stress induced one day during a bad episode he handed me his 2wd losi and said let’s go… why do I RC bc it’s fun bc I love everything about it bc it give me and the boyfriend me and the kids me and myself and all of us something to do together but honestly one of if not the biggest reason it puts something in my hand something I have to focus on and when I’m having a seizure episode that’s usually 99.9%of the time what I need to come out of it ok and not going to lie but partly for that little girl who wasn’t allowed in the boys club all them years ago so again I ask why do you RC??

View attachment 163469

View attachment 163470

View attachment 163471
I have always been an aviation enthusiast and received my first RC airplane when I was very young as a reward for doing well in school. I was instantly hooked for life and as time went by I gradually progressed to cars, helicopters,boats ect... leading up to the massive collection and years of experience I have today. But it all boils down to the memory of how exciting it was getting my first model and the feeling of accomplishment that came with it...even though I didn't pay for it myself I had earned it in some way by keeping my end of the deal and getting perfect grades in school. In my opinion RC is a wonderful hobby that ANYONE can enjoy on any level be it beginner to expert or even professional. Granted it may be a little expensive..but what isn't these days..I always go out of my way to be very friendly to any onlookers when I'm out and about with my RCs by sharing information about the hobby and answering any questions they might have about it and what it takes to get started. I even take with me whenever I go out couple of models that are dosile enough for beginners and encourage them to give it a try without fear of breaking them. Crashes are just part of the game. And I wouldn't hand over a model to a beginner unless I was prepared for any possible outcome. I would love to see more quality user friendly and affordable RC options available for beginners to encourage more people to become involved in the hobby. There can never be too many of us!! 😊

Playing in the dirt, during elementary school recesses, with Matchboxes/Hotwheels, was what I/we did as kids. I don't know how much a Lego super set cost back in the 70's, but thank you Mom & Dad for the best start in life. That big huge box of Legos (with motor) lead to countless hours of building and fun, but a person can only go so far with remotely controlled Legos... on, off, and reverse 😁 . Having a bunch of plastic/rubber/metal pieces in front of you; building/connecting those pieces, and seeing it in motion must have been so satisficing. Decades later I'm still doing it 😉... still playing in the dirt at recess.

My father intruduced it to me rc cars 1982, been doing it since that day meaning 41 years in this amazing hobby. Just love it, its cotton for my soul. Besides hardcore bashing, fabrcating did over 10 years in racing with 9th,8th and a 5th in Nationals 1/10th electric buggy.

The simple anwser is, i love it, its a lifesty thats why i do it

Ok so beyond the fact that it’s fun and a great hobby why? Why do you RC? No matter what it is planes trains trucks ducks I don’t care if it’s an RC cat … hmmm next project idea … but why??? For me my uncle first introduced me to rc trucks a million years ago back when it was boys only and honestly I don’t remember if his were hobby grade or radio shack I just remember being in Nani’s kitchen being thought the secret recipes for meatballs and sauce Christmas cookies and homemade frosting and most importantly Gnocchi al Castelmagno among everything else and just watching out the window as he ran his trucks up and down the road my brothers n male cousins out there with him the whole time thinking I wish I was out there too now don’t get me wrong glad I was inside learning the secrets too but still fast forward honestly forgot about them till my current boyfriend of 3 years and I met when my husband and I moved to the same area I’d go watch him run them when I had to get away from the fighting when the inevitable happened and the husband and I split I watched the boyfriend work on his slowly over time learning my my kids who are autistic loved it so it was something they all did together I tagged along and watched well sadly we learned (and this is something I don’t like sharing to me for many reasons it’s embarrassing) i have a seizure disorder but they are stress induced one day during a bad episode he handed me his 2wd losi and said let’s go… why do I RC bc it’s fun bc I love everything about it bc it give me and the boyfriend me and the kids me and myself and all of us something to do together but honestly one of if not the biggest reason it puts something in my hand something I have to focus on and when I’m having a seizure episode that’s usually 99.9%of the time what I need to come out of it ok and not going to lie but partly for that little girl who wasn’t allowed in the boys club all them years ago so again I ask why do you RC??

View attachment 163469

View attachment 163470

View attachment 163471
I rc because its my hobby, and it takes up my time, I also like to run my rc because I like to run the battery down so that I can charge it. An it keeps me outta trouble which I use to find so the time and stay into trouble so its nice to have a hobby that takes me away from that mess.

Scared shitless of having suggested surgery. I'm up at night with pain and tossing around the thought of going under the knife. Is my pain at the level of going ahead with the surgery? Can I continue to deal with this pain for the rest of my life? Is it worth the risk of surgery? Will there be complications? No guarantee can be given for a complete success so pain may still be there after surgery so do I take the gamble?

This is literally what brought me to RC. I suffer from a failed spinal fusion surgery that left me disabled. Screws, rods, titanium spacer resting on cadaver bone but my vertebrae didn't fuse and heal into a solid mass. My bones still shift, rub and grind together and irritate the nerves. Before the surgery I suffered from back pain caused by years of motorcycles both on and off road, riding a desk in my engineering office and gritting and grunting my way through everything I could to out-do those other guys who wouldn't/couldn't do. No log splitter for me, I did it all by maul and wedges. Not arrogant, just took pride in having the grit to do harder things. I didn't have as much money as other people but I could at least be tougher and grittier than other people.
So now I'm in constant, chronic pain and spend most of my time sitting sideways on my couch with my legs elevated. I walk with a cane outside my house when there's nothing nearby to touch for stability. Using a cane makes one effectively one-handed, which sucks more than you know. When I stand or walk by spine feels compressed, one leg burns from nerve damage and the other goes pins/needles and charlie horse. It only gets worse until I get back down and rest. I'm on prescription pain medication all the time, but no opiates so don't worry.
Pretty cool that you did the research and put that video together. If it's OK with you, I'm going to copy that video link and show it to people so they can see what I'm living.
So anyway - I still own the motorcycle and it scares that crap out of my family that I get back on it. This is a potentially safer hobby.
I can't climb rocks or walk trails with the transmitter in my hand so it's been kind of frustrating not being able to replicate those cool videos on Youtube, or even sit at a desk building a kit (I've been buying RTRs and tinkering with them in small ways).
It's still cool though. The capability of the cars now is amazing. Mine are obviously lightly used but half this game is imagining and building them to extreme capability anyway right.

Last edited:
I'm an adult with adult responsibilities. When I'm driving my responsibilities stay in the trunk. I've always enjoyed hopping up trucks and trying to make them more than what they are. The trucks are fun to drive but they also give me an escape from the responsibilities of being an adult. And a couple of hours of excitement.

Helps keep my mind off of the tough things in life and learn how to walk again! I always remember that it could be worse. Like a broken rc car!
🦵💪

1700487212065.jpeg

I have recommitted to the RC hobby over the past few months because it gives me an outlet. This year has been really tough on me. Back in May I got laid off after 19 years with the same company and still haven't found work; because of this, I had to put my house up for rent to cover the mortgage. On top of that, I just lost a very close family member. This last incident just crushed me. Talking about, working on, driving, and just thinking about RCs helps me cope, and gives me something to focus on while I grieve.

My collection is pretty modest: a heavily upgraded Arrma Granite, that always seems to have a glitch in one of those many upgrades. I blame myself. I'm not a good mechanic, lol. An Axial SMT10T which I upgraded to run brushless--it's still SLOW, even on a 16t pinion, but fun to drive. A TC Sketer upgraded to run 6S, though I've only run it on 4S so far. An Arrma Big Rock slider with the parts to complete, that I still need to build. I also have a 1/16 Redcat Volcano, which is actually a lot of fun to bash in the backyard.

I've recently built a ramp to jump/break my cars. Weather permitting I'll use it tomorrow. :)
IMG_20230514_185026254.jpg

Back