Why do you RC???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nenecrane

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
Ok so beyond the fact that it’s fun and a great hobby why? Why do you RC? No matter what it is planes trains trucks ducks I don’t care if it’s an RC cat … hmmm next project idea … but why??? For me my uncle first introduced me to rc trucks a million years ago back when it was boys only and honestly I don’t remember if his were hobby grade or radio shack I just remember being in Nani’s kitchen being thought the secret recipes for meatballs and sauce Christmas cookies and homemade frosting and most importantly Gnocchi al Castelmagno among everything else and just watching out the window as he ran his trucks up and down the road my brothers n male cousins out there with him the whole time thinking I wish I was out there too now don’t get me wrong glad I was inside learning the secrets too but still fast forward honestly forgot about them till my current boyfriend of 3 years and I met when my husband and I moved to the same area I’d go watch him run them when I had to get away from the fighting when the inevitable happened and the husband and I split I watched the boyfriend work on his slowly over time learning my my kids who are autistic loved it so it was something they all did together I tagged along and watched well sadly we learned (and this is something I don’t like sharing to me for many reasons it’s embarrassing) i have a seizure disorder but they are stress induced one day during a bad episode he handed me his 2wd losi and said let’s go… why do I RC bc it’s fun bc I love everything about it bc it give me and the boyfriend me and the kids me and myself and all of us something to do together but honestly one of if not the biggest reason it puts something in my hand something I have to focus on and when I’m having a seizure episode that’s usually 99.9%of the time what I need to come out of it ok and not going to lie but partly for that little girl who wasn’t allowed in the boys club all them years ago so again I ask why do you RC??

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0425.jpeg

I started out as a basher when I was kid in the 80's... I used my paper route money to buy my first RC which was a Tamiya Hornet. Never could afford to club race but that was my dream... fast forward to my son turning 10 years old in 2010, he mentioned wanting to get into club racing and we've been hooked since!

I've dabbled with crawlers, drifters, rock racers and monster trucks... we tend to burn out on everything unless it's racing. When we vacation to the beach, we take shovels and a long garden hose to water a makeshift track in the sand

If I have to miss a race event for a family function, my FOMO really kicks in, ha!

Never raced think bout it now n then but I don’t have that kinda money I have a bit of everything we’ll did we are starting over I love me some buggy’s though and 2wd in my opinion it makes you concentrate more

Well 1st off, I got into RC I say basically xmas day 2015. My uncle gave me a traxxas slash 2wd xl5 brushed. Between 2015 and 2019, it was my only RC and I bashed it outside on some occasions. I mostly kept the car in my stuff (Cheap dynamite tool set, traxxas charger and nimh batteries) in my rc hauler in my room. In 2016 I did my 1st race at my old LHS carpet track. I ran in the 2wd SCT young guns. I believe I got 3rd in the A main. It was fun. My car was box stock besides Schumacher Mini Pins on DE racing wheels on both front and rear. Still have those tires today but I plan to get a new set as with the new carpet track, the car has way too much traction. My uncle mounted up those wheels and tires the same day as the race too. In one of the qualifiers one of the tires came off the wheel and I kept driving since Idk what happened. Fast forward to 2019/2020 as the pandemic hit, I started to bash the slash more, break stuff, fix it, go to the track more. And soon, in October of 2020, I got my Rustler 2wd (xl5 brushed) and thats when I say my RC addiction started. Now I got a car to drive and my dad has one too, but I took it out of his hands lol. Now into 2022 I got more deeper into the hobby, got the Mini B. And then I got my first 4wd RC and first kit to build. First Competitive car too. And since then its been AMain orders like every other couple of weeks, going to the track every other Saturday. Also not to mention, Back in October/November of 2022 I upgraded to brushless in the slash and rustler which made it faster. At this point I (well me and my dad) spent maybe 4k plus on my RC stuff. And now that's why I'm trying to sell RC stuff that I don't use anymore so I can get some extra race money. Lol. Actually, I got my buggy all set up for the track and racing. Should have my 1st race with it in the next couple of weeks. I am also trying to get my uncle back into the hobby and racing. I ordered his turnbuckles for him and will be dragging him down to the track this Saturday for some practice and drag passes. My uncle has a pretty good RC history too. He had alot of cars but not all at the same time. Now thats my history. Now to why I do RC. I do RC because I just like it, its fun, bashing and racing cars. Maybe ill get into the other side of RC some point like crawling or drones. It started out as a fun thing to do on the side. Now its becoming my life. Over the past week, I had been bashing the cars, working on them, rebuilding them. Another thing to mention, back around 2011/2012, my uncle and his friend was bashing their 2wd rustler vxl's around the baseball diamond. Also attended a few club races to soak up the atmosphere and some knowledge. Had my slash since 2015 and still have it today. Got into RC when I was 7 and now 14. I might take a break from RCs here and there for a few weeks but not like a year or so. I might get out of the hobby and move on to real 1:1 cars / trucks. (My dream job is a auto mechanic or something in that field) But I'm pretty sure I will keep my RCs for spare time I got just for fun.
Never raced think bout it now n then but I don’t have that kinda money I have a bit of everything we’ll did we are starting over I love me some buggy’s though and 2wd in my opinion it makes you concentrate more
Racing is expensive. In my 1/10 4wd stock club racer build. I am about 900 dollars in with the kit(300 USD at the time), parts, electronics, wheels and tires.
1/8 is a whole different level. Especially 1/8 nitro.

Racing was my dream in my RC hobby. Bashing is ok. Sort of getting out of bashing and more into racing at the moment.

Last edited:
Scared shitless of having suggested surgery. I'm up at night with pain and tossing around the thought of going under the knife. Is my pain at the level of going ahead with the surgery? Can I continue to deal with this pain for the rest of my life? Is it worth the risk of surgery? Will there be complications? No guarantee can be given for a complete success so pain may still be there after surgery so do I take the gamble?

Scared shitless of having suggested surgery. I'm up at night with pain and tossing around the thought of going under the knife. Is my pain at the level of going ahead with the surgery? Can I continue to deal with this pain for the rest of my life? Is it worth the risk of surgery? Will there be complications? No guarantee can be given for a complete success so pain may still be there after surgery so do I take the gamble?
That's a tough call. If you can find a really good surgeon, I say go for it. For me if facing that, which I kinda am, I'd have to go somewhere other than here to feel comfortable I found a good surgeon. I feel for ya man.

As to why I RC, it started in 1980 when my dad got an RC plane kit, commandeered the dining room table, snd spent about a month building (no joke) the coolest thing I had ever seen.

The Tower Hobbies catalogs started showing up after he bought that, and when I wasn't doing something productive, I was on the sofa covering the pages of those catalogs with dirty thumbprints and drool.

3 years later, with money I made working in my dad's woodshop in the garage, I bought the Marui Big Bear. I can still to this day remember the sound of those big monster truck tires chewing through the gravel in the driveway, and the feeling I got driving that truck. Sadly, I got one of the early ones that had really weak spur gears. I tried to make a mold of it to make one out of aluminum lol. What did I know? I was 13. But I tried.

In 1986 I saved up my money and bought the Kyosho Javelin. I drove that car to death. It was just so much fun to drive. I never broke a single part on that car, even though it was put through hell. The best experience with that car was leaving streaks all over the school gym floor. Another kid brought his RC, and in an ill fated turn we had a headon collision. The gymnasium probably had 500 students in it, waiting for classes to start. When the cars crashed, it sounded like a baskeball player just fell and broke his leg or something, as the entire gymnasium went "OHHH!". His car was in two pieces. My Javelin drove away doing more donuts 😜

I have loved RC since I was young, and I always will.

Last edited:
That's a tough call. If you can find a really good surgeon, I say go for it. For me if facing that, which I kinda am, I'd have to go somewhere other than here to feel comfortable I found a good surgeon. I feel for ya man.

As to why I RC, it started in 1980 when my dad got an RC plane kit, commandeered the dining room table, snd spent about a month building (no joke) the coolest thing I had ever seen.

The Tower Hobbies catalogs started showing up after he nought that, and when I wasn't doing something productive, I was on the sofa covering the pages of those catalogs with dirty thumbprints and drool.

3 years later, with money I made working in my dad's woodshop in the garage, I bought the Marui Big Bear. I can still to this day remember the sound of those big monster truck tires chewing through the gravel in the driveway, and the feeling I got driving that truck. Sadly, I got one of the early ones that had really weak spur gears. I tried to make a mold of it to make one out of aluminum lol. What did I know? I was 13. But I tried.

In 1986 I saved up my money and bought the Kyosho Javelin. I drove that car to death. It was just so much fun to drive. I never broke a single part on that car, even though it was put through hell. The best experience with that car was leaving streaks all over the school gym floor. Another kid brought his RC, and in an ill fated turn we had a headon collision. The gymnasium probably had 500 students in it, waiting for classes to start. When the cars crashed, it sounded like a baskeball player just fell and broke his leg or something as entire gymnasium went "OHHH!". His car was in two piece. My Javelin drove away doing more donuts 😜

I have loved RC since I was young, and I always will.
This injury that I'm dealing with has brought me back to RC's which started from being bit by Tamiya with my 1st. Rc...the awesome Tamiya Grass Hopper. Man I loved that thing!!!

I started in RC in 2015 with a TMaxx 3.3 and a Nitro Sport. At the time I was a business owner and running and tinkering with RC’s was my escape from the constant stress of running a business. Now that I’m retired, RC keeps me busy and my mind active. Enjoying it now more than ever. I have a few electrics but I really love running the Nitro’s.

For me I've always loved miniatures and models. I am a late bloomer, didn't get into RC's until I was in my 50's when I realized I could actually afford it. Started out with planes and on a whim grabbed a truck to play with, for when it the weather wasn't good for flying. Never thought I would enjoy surface vehicles so much but now I have quite a few.

I was into RC cars since the 80s got away from it about 15 years ago.
I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass a couple years back. My surgery and a few other physical issues kept me from motorcycles and mountain bikes. I got back into RC crawlers and I’m enjoying it a ton! Glad to be back, it’s very satisfying.

No words my man.......I hope whatever you decide brings you peace and pain-free (or at least less pain) for decades longer. I'll keep ya in my thoughts. 👊🤙🤝 maluhia ✌️

I like to go fast, I can't do it in my real truck, I couldn't do it on my motorcycle either, I have gotten tickets with both of them. But I can go flat out on my monster trucks and the only thing I have to worry about are hitting trees or cars in the road. I started with RC's in the 90's with a T-Maxx, then 2 or 3 kits I put together. I stopped for about 10 years till I sold my motorcycle and missed tinkering and running hard so I got a Mugen buggy and put it together, got out again and just got back now about 8 years later. The progress with batteries is amazing, I have a Kraton and Outcast and I love the speed and jumping ability they both have. I am just learning how to jump my trucks with a homemade ramp and it is so much fun. Also the creativity of working on the trucks, I got some motor fans that didn't seem to fit, but I combined them with another set of fans and have a nice combo now. Working and running with RC's is both frustrating and satisfying they give me pleasure in my life, what more can I ask for?
PXL_20230413_210250694.jpg

Like Doom, I'm kinda fascinated by small scale stuff.

But I also loved the idea of RC and being able to control a car remotely. I grew up with slot cars and loved racing them with my friends and cousins. Then while in college in the mid-late 80's, I discovered RC cars while moonlighting as a store detective in a local Ames. Could barely afford one, but I put a couple on layaway and that was the start of it all. Fast forward to 2008 and while at a Monster Jam event a bunch of nitro powered MT's came out during intermission and I was mesmerized with the little engines in trucks. I got a TMaxx the very next day and I have never really looked back, I was completely hooked on nitro RC cars.

To get out of the house. We as a people spend so much time in front of a screen, and getting out and enjoying this hobby is healthy, and is why I do it. I am a big culprit of too much screen time. BTW...I am still new to this hobby, but it has hooked me faster than I thought it would.

Last edited:
To get out of the house. We as a people spend so much time in front of a screen, and getting out and enjoying this hobby is healthy, and is why I do it. I am a big culprit of too much screen time. BTW...I am still new to this hobby, but it has hooked me faster than I thought it would.
That’s part of it to I’m severely ain’t social and am very uncomfortable talking to people even being behind a screen and this hobby has helped a fair amount with that as well along with less screen time for everyone in the house

I got back into the hobby since I stopped watching TV altogether. I am quite honestly now at a new higher level in my life. I decided that I can do better things like running my RC cars rather than watching the news or some stinking rich sport stars kicking a ball around on a field while millions of delusional fools think it is something special or exceptional to do, or watching a soap opera that was already being aired when my grandmother was still alive ...
This injury that I'm dealing with has brought me back to RC's which started from being bit by Tamiya with my 1st. Rc...the awesome Tamiya Grass Hopper. Man I loved that thing!!!
What part of your spine got injured and how did you get hurt? I am asking because I got injured by slipping on a set of steel stairs and hitting my lower back very hard on the edge of one of these steel stairs. I had terrible pain in my lower back for nine long years which slowly went away with exercise to specifically target and strengthen all the muscles around my spine, so I am just hoping you can try some alternatives before you are forced to opt for the surgery. I still get some off days now and then but most of the time I have no or very little pain. I also had more pain when I slept on a bed or mattress, so for a very long time now already, I sleep on a rather thin sponge mattress on the floor.

Last edited:
I got back into the hobby since I stopped watching TV altogether. I am quite honestly now at a new higher level in my life. I decided that I can do better things like running my RC cars rather than watching the news or some stinking rich sport stars kicking a ball around on a field while millions of delusional fools think it is something special or exceptional to do, or watching a soap opera that was already being aired when my grandmother was still alive ...

What part of your spine got injured and how did you get hurt? I am asking because I got injured by slipping on a set of steel stairs and hitting my lower back very hard on the edge of one of these steel stairs. I had terrible pain in my lower back for nine long years which slowly went away with exercise to specifically target and strengthen all the muscles around my spine, so I am just hoping you can try some alternatives before you are forced to opt for the surgery. I still get some off days now and then but most of the time I have no or very little pain. I also had more pain when I slept on a bed or mattress, so for a very long time now already, I sleep on a rather thin sponge mattress on the floor.
I can definitely agree with the not watching tv I might watch YouTube from time to Tim but mostly listen to podcasts

I've always wanted to get into the hobby, but funds prevented me from it until that stimmy we got in '19. Ended up getting a 2WD Stampede as my first one and my "learner" RC. 4 years later I've gone through RCs to see what I liked, so now I have a Losi LMT, a 2WD slash that is my baby with both fox bodies that i swap out now and then, i have a 2WD grave digger stampede i put together from scratch. I'm about to dye the gearbox and shocks black since I couldn't find the shocks anymore and I don't wanna waste money on something I could just sit in dye. I'm about to build another grave digger stampede since i have both the OG black and the 30th anniversary that has the lights on it with the skull lights too, ill probably do a build thread on it since I've never done one on here haha. I have a Hoss 4x4 VXL that i havent done anything to besides the servo. I also have a TRX4 Sport since my buddy has a crawler and convinced me to get one so we could go crawling at parks and such.

I just genuinely love the hobby, it puts me in my zen and it helps my A.D.D believe it or not, when I get working on these things, it'll keep my attention for hours because I'm so into seeing what I can do with these things, and when its a beautiful day outside, its just pretty peaceful for me, especially the crawling side now, i'll just go get lost at a state park and lose track of time. It's just a super fun hobby for me.

I've always wanted to get into the hobby, but funds prevented me from it until that stimmy we got in '19. Ended up getting a 2WD Stampede as my first one and my "learner" RC. 4 years later I've gone through RCs to see what I liked, so now I have a Losi LMT, a 2WD slash that is my baby with both fox bodies that i swap out now and then, i have a 2WD grave digger stampede i put together from scratch. I'm about to dye the gearbox and shocks black since I couldn't find the shocks anymore and I don't wanna waste money on something I could just sit in dye. I'm about to build another grave digger stampede since i have both the OG black and the 30th anniversary that has the lights on it with the skull lights too, ill probably do a build thread on it since I've never done one on here haha. I have a Hoss 4x4 VXL that i havent done anything to besides the servo. I also have a TRX4 Sport since my buddy has a crawler and convinced me to get one so we could go crawling at parks and such.

I just genuinely love the hobby, it puts me in my zen and it helps my A.D.D believe it or not, when I get working on these things, it'll keep my attention for hours because I'm so into seeing what I can do with these things, and when its a beautiful day outside, its just pretty peaceful for me, especially the crawling side now, i'll just go get lost at a state park and lose track of time. It's just a super fun hobby for me.
I can completely dig on that I totally agree with the ADD & ADHD even if I’m not wrenching on mine I’m watching biggman wrench on his or my kids n like I’ve said before the kids are autistic with a plethora of other diagnoses I can watch for hrs and watch them wrench for hours and all add and adhd symptoms are nonexistent from a professional standpoint (I’m a certified special needs aid for the state) it gives the racing mind (no pun intended) something to focus on and have a healthy fixation on which can put other harmful fixations and behaviors at bay on even the smallest of a subconscious level no matter the degree of the disorder

Back