Who was wrenching today??? What did you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put it off long enough. Been a couple of years wanting to do this. Decided to do a resto on my 2009-2011 R4E switchblade wedge dragster. 140degF in the attic. Too hot to go up there to retrieve it. That'll wait until early tomorrow morning.

Meantime pulled its original 3PM-FM transmitter off the top shelf and powered it up. Still friggen works-at least powers up with (count 'em) eight AA batts. Had to fabricate a frequency clothes pin. Orig is around somewhere, just have to find it later.

Not really a build project, and it was full prep, so will probably post up the alpha and omega to the electric forum. Cheers. 'AC'

20230908_150408_forum resize.jpg

Bad ass 🫡

I threw a Tekin Gen 4 Redline Spec-R 21.5 into my AE B6.4 this morning, replacing a Fantom Icon 17.5. I got a great deal on it gently used and was going to throw it into another car, but I think I'm going to hang the other cars up for a bit and try to learn to drive 21.5 2wd. The new layout at my club is extremely technical, and I all but destroyed my 13.5 4wd at practice yesterday - and the thing is long-overdue for a rebuild, so it's in a box while I compile the parts I need.

IMG_7999.jpeg

Follow up on post 1,321 from Sep 8th (link below)

Post 1,321

R4E is a respectable roller again passing its bench test run up yesterday. Power unit is original Novak 10.5R Ballistic brushless, Novak GTB ESC. Battery is new generation 2s x 4600 7.6v HV 'Shorty' Graphene LiPo.

Legacy Futaba 3PM-FM radio system is giving me problems. Until getting that sorted out, using a 4PLS system as a ride along. Look closely and you can see two antennas and the ride-along receiver attached to the frame rail. Next step in the radio system issue is to see if Futaba still services the legacy FM units.

Good feeling breathing life back into the old 2009 warhorse again. Cheers. 'AC'

20230926_151816_forum resize.jpg

I'm gutting an aerospace grade M2C super Kraton for its Arrma parts to bring an Outcast back to life. I'm waiting on a set of front upper/lower A-arms and a Notorious body. With the purchase of my Sledge my Kraton has become the odd dog out so I'm using it to resurrect my favorite skatepark truck. The Outorious should be fully operational by Saturday.
20230927_165401.jpg

My to do list for this summer:

Paint all my clear bodies, Kraton 6s, Typhon 6s, Senton and Bigrock.
Fit an esc back in the Typhon 6s.
Clean the Capra and connect the dig servo.
Fit a slipper eliminator to the Typhon 3s so I can reduce spur size.
Replace glitchy servo in senton.

The acetone bath work good too, ruins foams but wheels come out mint.
Yeah and as it turns out... neoprene gloves are not acetone-resistant, lmao. Got right through 'em. Not a huge deal, but I'd prefer not to dunk my hands into acetone like that... can't be good for the skin.

After ~12 hours, the rubber came off with little resistance; I'm going to leave them in for awhile longer to let the acetone dissolve any glue that's still stuck to the rims, then wipe everything down with a shop rag or something. I need to get some shop towels for my workshop, I suppose.

Now that I've started tracking tire wear based on "number of five-minute runs on the car"... holy poop, I'm running my tires a lot before I replace them. Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of tire gluing.

IMG_8014.jpeg
IMG_8015.jpeg

Glued front sidewalls. Re-glued all 4 tires where they were getting loose. Installed new wing.

While I was running today, I switched from the kit blue springs to yellows - so now instead of red / blue front / rear, I'm on orange / yellow. Feels like I have way more forward bite. But I totally forgot to set ride height so... we're back from 10.5 / 15 front / rear to 13 / 13.

Excited to see how the car feels tomorrow. Focusing on 21.5t 2wd is already paying off... I am way more consistent in practice. But god, fixing every little thing that goes out of whack with this car is a full-time job!

Re-installed the wheelie bar on the MT10. Used two TRX turnbuckles from the basher stash to extend the wheels closer to the road surface.

MT10 pulled the front wheels couple of runs on my RC 33ft Street Legal Dragstrip. Better safe than sorry.

side note: P-L Trenchers hook up well on concrete. In a way put me in mind off the old P-L 'Dirt Hawg' tires. Made for dirt but do well on pavement too.

Cheers. 'AC'

20231006_150610_forum resize.jpg

Last edited:
Test fitting a pair of JConcepts Drag Wide's to the classic Rustler. Bloom and all. Venting, cleaning and gluing comes later. Once fit and fiddle is assured. Tires mounted of a pair of Arrma SC 14mm hex wheels using STRC 14mm AL hexes.

Earlier in the week while waiting for the RR tire/wheel combo, installed a pair of TRX Bandit/Anaconda's up front. Hoping it's a good FR/RR combo for my no-prep drags.

FINALLY, it is cooling off here in Houston and can spend lots of time catching up on wrenching in the shop. Cheers. 'AC'

20231007_122145_forum resize.jpg

Test fitting a pair of JConcepts Drag Wide's to the classic Rustler. Bloom and all. Venting, cleaning and gluing comes later. Once fit and fiddle is assured. Tires mounted of a pair of Arrma SC 14mm hex wheels using STRC 14mm AL hexes.

Earlier in the week while waiting for the RR tire/wheel combo, installed a pair of TRX Bandit/Anaconda's up front. Hoping it's a good FR/RR combo for my no-prep drags.

FINALLY, it is cooling off here in Houston and can spend lots of time catching up on wrenching in the shop. Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 172698
Looks great. I bought a set of strc 14mils too. Gonna put tmaxx 3.2 wheels with stretched 2.8 tires on my stampede.

Love the paint. I would get confused masking it off!

Thanks, Chu. Heads up on the STRC 14mil's. Latest set, this set, one of the hexes measured 14.5mm across flats. Real tight fitting the wheel. Thought it was a bad wheel until I got to measuring. Anyway, only need two of the four for Rusty's application. Later, I'll dress down the flats to 14mm on the wide one. Probably give STRC a heads up Monday too. They'll probably want to know.

Me too. Paint was professionally done. Still not sure why I did that. Guess I wanted something different. I saw that splinter pattern used on a desert racing truck. Figgered why not???? By the way, no sticker shows either, no matter how I try to position it. So, body stays pretty much stickerless. :D

Cheers. 'AC'

20231007_144726_forum resize.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 172698
Body looks so, so aggressive, AC.

Hey, you could put some stickers on the windows in the grand tradition of Ricky Bobby! 😂

Body looks so, so aggressive, AC.

Hey, you could put some stickers on the windows in the grand tradition of Ricky Bobby! 😂
Ha. Funny. Had to google Ricky Bobby, not familiar with him or his org. Right away his driver suit put me in mind of racing legend Don Schumacher's Wonder Wagons of times past. Weird. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Good seeing the old Wonder logo lives on.

Yeah, stickering the window(s) might be an option to consider. Have to look through my sticker stash on a rainy day. Thanks. Cheers. 'AC'

OIP_WonderWagon.jpg