Which engine should I use for my Traxxas Jato 3.3 ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OS.18TZ. I'm running one and its the perfect balance of torque and rpm. IMO .26's will just result in massive wheelies and loss of traction. I'm not sure what rpms the Novas pulling, but thats what you want RPM! doesn't take much torque to throw the Jato around.

Swap your gearing to Revo gears. You can run a 22th bell with a 36 tooth spur. I think 22/40 is the best reg jato set up. The Revo gears will give you an extra couple mph. You may have to shim the spur a bit and take the engine mount spacers out.

Also flip your wheelie bar upside down, keep the batt in the center, thick diff fluid, and better rear rubber. I find the 30 series road rage to hook better than the anacondas. I'm running XO1 wheels now. Theyre a tad big though.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

baf070a5.jpg

8d8f8106.jpg

38 th revo spur in this pic. I have 1 wascher bhind weach screw and the gear is flipped for proper mesh.

83acb2e8.jpg

So I looked up some specs on some of the various Engines mentioned and here is some specs from each.

O.S. .18TZ:
[SIZE=-1]Practical rpm: 3,000-34,000
Output: 1.77 hp @ 29,000 rpm
[/SIZE]RCPlanet.com Price: $174.99
[SIZE=-1]
O.S. .21TM:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Practical rpm: 3000-35,000
Output: 1.77 hp @ 29,000 rpm
[/SIZE]RCPlanet.com Price: $284.97
[SIZE=-1]
Heres one that I saw on O.S.'s website that no one mentioned and may be of interest to folks looking for extreme performance.
O.S. Speed Tuned .19XZ-B:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Practical rpm: 4,000-40,000
Output: 2.4 hp @ 34,000 rpm
[/SIZE]AmainHobbies.com Price: $419.99[SIZE=-1]

and I also looked up the Novarossi S21P5XLT:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Practical rpm: 6,000-36,200
Output: 2.6 hp @ 34,000 rpm
[/SIZE]AmainHobbies.com Price: $236.99

My money would be on the Novarossi engine although you may need a BB conversion mount for it. If I was on a tight budget I would definitely look at the O.S. .18TZ. Not only is it cheaper but it a direct drop in.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks man I think I will buy a 18 tz whit revo gear, I also will buy ths cvd's, some jaco wheels/tires, and two hi tech servos, what elese do you think I should buy for performance. And also I bought erlier a ths pipe.

Last edited:
You will have to grind a couple of threads off of the crank and also the clutch nut for the 18TZ to work. It's an Sg shaft engine.

Back