Which engine should I use for my Traxxas Jato 3.3 ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiSD

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I'm new here, I whant to know which engine should I use for my Traxxas Jato 3.3. I use my jato mainly for drag racing with my friends, please help.

Depends on how much you want to spend. And do you want a direct drop in replacement or a bigger engine. I dont know if you can even stick a bb engine in the jato. For $109.99 you can get a dynamite .19T as a direct replacement and its got more torque at lower rpm than the 3.3. I have it on a tmaxx and its a beast! Or for $179 or so you can get a picco .26 which requires a different mount but utilizes the stock header and ez start system. Also OS .21 is a great engine as well.

Try a Novarossi sbk 5port 21. With boost chamber. 2.5hp. Or a 5.9.

ist me JiSD, i had problems whit my acount so made a new one. which is the best engine: novarossi .21, picco .26, O.S. 18 tz, or O.S. 21 tm, remember my use is for drag racing

In a jato my opinion would be you will see the most power from the mid block picco .26 max. If there is a mount for the jato. I believe it will be uncontrollable power on that little thing!

Novarossi is my choice for the racing truggy I'm gonna build. But I'm using the plus .28 7 port big block. You can't go wrong with a nova!

Which novarossi engine is a direct fit on the jato, or what modifications I need to do

I think the .21 will fit. Its still a small block engine. May have to get a matched header and tuned pipe for it and i recommend a buku 3 shoe clutch set up.

Ok thanks man you have been helpful, and I got two more questions, what gears should I get, and what are the pros and cons of this engine.

You can stay with your present gearing for now and see how it works for you. If you want more torque at bottom end use a combo of smaller clutch bell and bigger spur gear. For more top end speed and less torque use a bigger bell and smaller spur gear. As far as pros and cons I've never heard anything negative about any novarossi engine. They were at one time the highest quality engine on the market until the company was bought out. It is still in the top 3 quality and performance names in nitro. The other 2 would be picco and OS Engines. A close 4th would be LPR engines and some would argue but not many. Both nova and picco are italian made engines and are the choice brands for most racers that I've seen. Although OS also is an excellent race engine.

Thanks man, which engine you would use if you had a jato, remember the jato is RWD. Drag Racing

novarossi or picco need lots of top end

The nova .21 is a small block. It may drop right in. But, the picco is a mid block engine which will require a different mount and will also produce more power because its a bigger engine. As i stated before i dont know if there is a big block mount available for the jato. Maybe someone else will jump in and say weather or not there is a mount available to stick the picco in a jato. You can see the specs for each engines output on www.amainhobbies.com

My preference would be the OS .21 TM but if the Novarassi .21 has a small block footprint then it maybe a better choice. Not familiar with that engine.

You will get more top end speed from a smaller engine.^^^.18 tz^^^

I asked my local hobby shop, if the novarossi fits and the told me that that it wasn't made for a jato. DC I heard that the 18 tz is a very good engine and has lots of top end, which engine do you tink I shoud use a 18 tz or 21 tm or any other sugestion.

I would think that a Jato would not benefit by having a larger engine. In a drag race I would imagine a smaller engine would launch a little easier.

Back