what to get comp/basher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usv568

RCTalk Champion
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Looking to get into a comp Crawler, looking at maybe a scale truck, or just a good comp/ basher. Any info on what to get, funds are limited. In the $500 range or less. Thank you.

It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to run through a true comp course, then get a comp type crawler. Do you want to just have some fun and crawl through hills and on a few rocks, then a trail truck would be good.

I don't really do any comps, but I do enjoy crawling through trails and up an occasional rock. My favorite is an Axial SCX-10.

Like stated above comp crawler if you plan on comping with it, other wise get a scaler like a SCX10 and with your budget a scaler would be more up your alley, a true comp rig all decked out with all the goodies will run you upward of around a $1000 if you buy new.

Thanks, I was thinking about a wraith or a ridgecrest. I know the ridgecrest shares so stuff with wraith, and a cost difference. But what is better. The wraith is sick

Their prolly both really reliable and parts will be the same as far as ease to get. Id say it just comes down to what appeals to you more.
The Wraith has a HUGE amount of aftermarket scale parts for it, HUGE! So you could easily always find little ad ons for it.

Id probably get an Axial XR-10....its a good basher from what I understand right out of the box and if you're willing to spend the money can be made comp quality. Losi Nightcraler maybe another option, I know you can drop a tranny from the Losi Comp Crawler in it and make it do good things. Those are my only 2 insights as I'm fairly new to crawling myself and have already spent a fortune pimping out SNGs Bully kit he sold me :)

Id probably get an Axial XR-10....its a good basher from what I understand right out of the box and if you're willing to spend the money can be made comp quality. Losi Nightcraler maybe another option, I know you can drop a tranny from the Losi Comp Crawler in it and make it do good things. Those are my only 2 insights as I'm fairly new to crawling myself and have already spent a fortune pimping out SNGs Bully kit he sold me :)

The XR10 is not a basher by any means, it was designed to be a comp crawler from the ground up, and to make it solid it needs a few upgrades right from the start mainly all new tranny gears, the ones that RC4WD makes are about as solid as they come, other upgrades that could wait but are recommended would be Vanquish Products tranny case and motor mount plates because it gives you larger bearings, then knuckles, C's and rear lock outs.:D

The Wraith is more of a basher.

Everything is a basher if your not racing/comping with it. and the level of upgrades it need depends on what level of comping you're doing. What I meant however is it will bash right out of the box and can be upgraded however much he wants all the way up to whatever he wants to do with it.

Like stated above comp crawler if you plan on comping with it, other wise get a scaler like a SCX10 and with your budget a scaler would be more up your alley, a true comp rig all decked out with all the goodies will run you upward of around a $1000 if you buy new.

x2 lol This is what I did on the SCX10 scaler and its just about bomb proof. Axial is the BEST IMHO :D

Axial builds all of their rigs with aftermarket in mind. They put their rigs out as cheap as possible and then offer ass loads of aftermarket crap for them. Thats why they have the corner of the market, they let you get started cheap but they make you need the better parts.

I guess I must be weird, I haven't broken anything on my SCX-10 even with brushless power. The only upgrade I think is a must is the drive shaft collars to keep the retaining pins in the u-joints.

Well I sold my other Crawler( maxstone) and bought a wrath. Doing a endurance scale comp today. Let you know how it goes.

Everything is a basher if your not racing/comping with it. and the level of upgrades it need depends on what level of comping you're doing. What I meant however is it will bash right out of the box and can be upgraded however much he wants all the way up to whatever he wants to do with it.

I can tell you right now from experiance if you try to bash a XR10 or drive it remotely hard out of the box you will be tearing the axles back apart and replacing the gears with in the first few batteries you run thought it.

With a comp rig if your not comping with it your usually practicing unless your trying to break it.

Sent from my Samsung Admire

Last edited:
Well ok! I already up.graded the wraith with aluminum knuckles. Building new links for it and a suicide steering as well as the servo.
The endurance course was awesome, the wraith preformed exceptionally well. The course was 1.5 miles.

I bought the vanquish knuckles, so far thay work good. There stuff is expensive tho

I bought the vanquish knuckles, so far thay work good. There stuff is expensive tho
Expensive but high quality and made in the USA. I live about 5 minutes from the shop and there setup is top notch :D

Last edited:
I can tell you right now from experiance if you try to bash a XR10 or drive it remotely hard out of the box you will be tearing the axles back apart and replacing the gears with in the first few batteries you run thought it.

With a comp rig if your not comping with it your usually practicing unless your trying to break it.

I'm getting the impression that your definition of bashing and mine are quite different. When I say bashing I just mean using it in a manner other than racing or comping. You seem to associate trying to tear it up or doing something extreme with bashing. Either way....I'm not trying to argue about it so please dont take it that way.

Well I consider bashing as anytime not on a course or track. I have a slash for straight up beating on, a losi scte for the track, and the wraith for trail and rock crawling.

I'm not trying to get in between anyones convo, but I agree. With any new rig really I try to be as careful with the looks as well as the internals, slowly breaking them in and getting everything lubed, situated and turning nicely. After that I dump wads of money into it and I can beat on it much much more.

--

I'm also not a fan of bashing bashing bashers, that take everything straight from the box to the dirt right back to the work bench, I love to enjoy many things and speeds with my rigs before I make a dum jump or whatever..