What are your other passions/hobbies/things you enjoy doing? (Not RC)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, the older I get, the less daring I get, now if I saw someone doing the stupid things I've done, I'd call them a dumbass! I miss when mortality and injury never crossed my mind. Unfortunately my body reminds me daily of how much fun I had when I was younger. 🤣

Recently picked up the cornhole bug again, after spending a weekend with friends. By far, my favorite drinking game!
0918211806b_compress14.jpg

too funny. I have a Honda 250 dirt bike and my grandson has a 2021 Suzuki 110 we snagged late last year. I also have a Polaris Sportsman 400.

never played it. I was always partial to horseshoes but I get the appeal its like a mobile horseshoe set

I must say, being faithful to my friends here I went thru all 8 pages of these hobbies. I may not have hit the button on all but I must say you guys are amazing. What a great collection of past times and fun adventurous stuff you do.
Wife and I are pretty involved in our church so that can take up some time. I also love mt biking and used to race a little. Mostly in cat2 and 3 with some single speeding mixed in. Keep telling myself I will get into “race shape” but it won’t break my heart if it doesn’t happen...I probably spend more time with my dog than any other being on the planet. We do a lot of biking and hiking together. I fly fish a few times a year. Used to go all the time but Great Lakes steelheading ruined that. It’s pretty much the only fishing I really want to do. They are the liveliest fish I’ve ever caught. Dog goes with me fishing if it’s not too cold but I must say he’s not much help. One hobby that has lasted most of my life is buying and selling stereo gear. Most of my gear now is considered high end (not the kind of high end football players or famous people have, that’s at a different level...)from the ‘80’s and early ‘90’s. The heavier it is the more interested I am in it. Here’s a few random pics I’ve taken of some of my stuff...the speakers have all been restored to proper spec. by me. The amps and preamps I can sometimes fix but lack the skills and testing equipment so sometimes they have to get sent out. My wife is 5’4” so you get the idea of how big the Infinity Quantum Line Source is in that pic. I drove 800miles in one day to pick those up and spent nearly a year restoring them. Broke my heart to sell them but I just did not have a large enough listening space to give them justice...I will probably never see another pair let alone hear them.
Some more gear...

Attachments

• F52DDEF6-618D-4EE8-8560-5CFB76724148.jpeg
    F52DDEF6-618D-4EE8-8560-5CFB76724148.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DB3AE341-AA18-486D-A861-2811D1B40E7F.jpeg
    DB3AE341-AA18-486D-A861-2811D1B40E7F.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 6A2381C4-FB15-48C7-8804-813123145CDE.jpeg
    6A2381C4-FB15-48C7-8804-813123145CDE.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 8E536AEC-4868-4233-9474-36AECE5695C6.jpeg
    8E536AEC-4868-4233-9474-36AECE5695C6.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 29
  • D65F3CC2-1658-46EA-BFDC-75FBDBA993C9.jpeg
    D65F3CC2-1658-46EA-BFDC-75FBDBA993C9.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 5749E7E6-649C-41F9-9B2C-848C10C70DB1.jpeg
    5749E7E6-649C-41F9-9B2C-848C10C70DB1.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 4611A781-7142-4CA7-B540-49411C09DE04.jpeg
    4611A781-7142-4CA7-B540-49411C09DE04.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 7481F542-6E4D-4E6C-A0AA-DA4A41E2E2D8.jpeg
    7481F542-6E4D-4E6C-A0AA-DA4A41E2E2D8.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 34
  • EE89B42C-C4F3-425B-AD94-5E419B32D1A5.jpeg
    EE89B42C-C4F3-425B-AD94-5E419B32D1A5.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DDC63A92-0191-4D2F-8975-A471406636B4.jpeg
    DDC63A92-0191-4D2F-8975-A471406636B4.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 32
  • EC361F1A-0B7B-4329-921F-CE3791FD6800.jpeg
    EC361F1A-0B7B-4329-921F-CE3791FD6800.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A5AEE578-AFBD-4734-A25D-06B223A1243C.jpeg
    A5AEE578-AFBD-4734-A25D-06B223A1243C.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 32
  • BFBD7C2F-A81B-4155-989A-0D7776EAF0A8.jpeg
    BFBD7C2F-A81B-4155-989A-0D7776EAF0A8.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 28
  • BC43B01D-3CF4-494F-9121-7BDDFAE77765.jpeg
    BC43B01D-3CF4-494F-9121-7BDDFAE77765.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 31
  • D30D7717-69B4-4319-94A3-54426B5DD540.jpeg
    D30D7717-69B4-4319-94A3-54426B5DD540.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 24128015-94C7-4FFC-9983-E92BFB02EE97.jpeg
    24128015-94C7-4FFC-9983-E92BFB02EE97.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I must say, being faithful to my friends here I went thru all 8 pages of these hobbies. I may not have hit the button on all but I must say you guys are amazing. What a great collection of past times and fun adventurous stuff you do.
Wife and I are pretty involved in our church so that can take up some time. I also love mt biking and used to race a little. Mostly in cat2 and 3 with some single speeding mixed in. Keep telling myself I will get into “race shape” but it won’t break my heart if it doesn’t happen...I probably spend more time with my dog than any other being on the planet. We do a lot of biking and hiking together. I fly fish a few times a year. Used to go all the time but Great Lakes steelheading ruined that. It’s pretty much the only fishing I really want to do. They are the liveliest fish I’ve ever caught. Dog goes with me fishing if it’s not too cold but I must say he’s not much help. One hobby that has lasted most of my life is buying and selling stereo gear. Most of my gear now is considered high end (not the kind of high end football players or famous people have, that’s at a different level...)from the ‘80’s and early ‘90’s. The heavier it is the more interested I am in it. Here’s a few random pics I’ve taken of some of my stuff...the speakers have all been restored to proper spec. by me. The amps and preamps I can sometimes fix but lack the skills and testing equipment so sometimes they have to get sent out. My wife is 5’4” so you get the idea of how big the Infinity Quantum Line Source is in that pic. I drove 800miles in one day to pick those up and spent nearly a year restoring them. Broke my heart to sell them but I just did not have a large enough listening space to give them justice...I will probably never see another pair let alone hear them.
Some more gear...
Wow man. That is one helluva hobby. I knew a guy that bought and restored the old Sansui stuff along with some other brands. Every room of his home had a wicked pair of speakers in it along with a vintage sound system.

Right along with horseshoes, it's a great drinking game with a bunch of friends and family.

Some more gear...
That's cool! I had a friend when I was younger that designed and built high-end speakers and audio systems for some large companies all over the world. Super cool and interesting guy. I had a couple of his setups in my trucks over the years, and an old Marantz tube amp in my house from him. The speakers in his living room used electrostatic tweeters (super high voltage, but really low amperage), and on a high humidity cold day, now and then you'd get a small lightning bolt running down the grill cloth. 😁

Some more gear...
Old school hi-fi!

I did a work assignment back in 2001(?) in Tillamook, OR. I would always bring along my breakdown ultralight spinning rig on my assignments. Tillamook is cow/dairy country, but does offer excellent fishing.
It was here where I landed my largest fish, on the lightest equipment to this day. I landed a +2ft steelhead on 4lb test mono. This was actually my 2nd hookup with a steelhead of this size, weeks apart. The first one broke off and got away just a couple of feet from me. The 2nd one actually did the same exact thing, but it was so exhausted from the fight that it didn't swim away. I jumped into the water and grabbed it's tail and hauled it in by hand. It was epic!
never played it. I was always partial to horseshoes but I get the appeal its like a mobile horseshoe set
Minus the noise 😉

Some more gear...
Good stuff, I used to be in to car audio back in the day. Love your dog. Whats his/her name?

Some more gear...
That's awesome, I think I need to hang out at your house for a while. Nice equipment.

That's cool! I had a friend when I was younger that designed and built high-end speakers and audio systems for some large companies all over the world. Super cool and interesting guy. I had a couple of his setups in my trucks over the years, and an old Marantz tube amp in my house from him. The speakers in his living room used electrostatic tweeters (super high voltage, but really low amperage), and on a high humidity cold day, now and then you'd get a small lightning bolt running down the grill cloth. 😁
I’ve had a few sansui systems. Their early tube and ‘70’s solid state is very desirable.

Good stuff, I used to be in to car audio back in the day. Love your dog. Whats his/her name?
Thanks man, dogs name is Buddy he came from the Philly city pound.
A stereo should occupy one entire wall and shake the other three.
You bet!
That's awesome, I think I need to hang out at your house for a while. Nice equipment.
Anytime you’re in the Philly area lmk.
Old school hi-fi!
Two channel is still very popular even “modern” tube gear. The new high end is extremely expensive. Audio Research and McIntosh have been making two channel equipment since the early ‘60’s and are alive and well. Used gear is expensive but can be found at affordable prices.

I’m lucky enough to own some 80’s Audio Research tube gear and a McIntosh stack from the early 90’s. I bought both systems locally from elderly couples who were moving to smaller places. Both systems are mint, they just took them out of their boxes and set them on a shelf for 30 years and used them every day. There’s very few bargains out there but occasionally there’s a nice deal. Also most towns will have a second hand hifi shop selling albums and offering repairs.

Speakers can sometimes be found for free. The huge JBL pair in the pics above were in a sound stage at a conference center where my brother worked. They were going into a dumpster. New in the late 80’s they cost well over 4000$ and used today can bring nearly half that and sometimes more if you have a mint pair and someone local who must have them. I was in train station (Chicago?) which had many pairs of those jbls up in the rafters for PA system. Hopefully someone will grab those when their time comes...

Last edited:
I'm down the street about 3500 miles Jim, I won't be making that trip anytime soon ...;)

Back