What 1/10th scale is worth every penny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCX24bouncer

RC Newbie
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Helpppp!!!! What 1/10 scale crawler is worth every penny?

I would say the TRX-4 or you can go with the axial III or even the Gen 8. Those 3 are all solid crawlers... the TRX-4 is a 2speed trans hi/low and lock/unlocking diffs.. so a trail and crawler truck...

I would say the TRX-4 or you can go with the axial III or even the Gen 8. Those 3 are all solid crawlers... the TRX-4 is a 2speed trans hi/low and lock/unlocking diffs.. so a trail and crawler truck...
Having all 3, I highly recommend the TRX4 platform. It's just a level above the other 2 brands in regards to trail/crawl performances.
The SCX10iii 2 speed is absolutely weak. It's an increase in maybe an extra 2mph. Axial obviously put no thought into that design. I went through 3 of those stock micro servos for gear shifting. I didn't bother replacing it after the 3rd fail. No big lost, really. Traxxas does their 2 speed right. The TRX4 2 speed system turns it into a rock racer, whenever you want it. I actually just leave it in the high speed, and it does absolutely fine with low speed crawling.
The stock Traxxas Canyon Trail tires are awesome, underrated crawl tires. They perform just as well as my pricey Proline Hyrax.
The Traxxas esc did crap out on me, so I replaced it with a programmable $40 Hobbywing 1080. Now, it's even smoother! My stock rtr SCX10iii esc can actually be programmed using the included programming card that came with my 1080 esc 👍
Another feature that I like on my TRX4 is the the cruise control. It's really nice to walk a long trail without having to constantly, manually control your throttle. Of the 3, the TRX4 also runs the quietest and smoothest in stock form.
The Redcat Gen8V2, at around $200 cheaper, was my first scale crawler and I absolutely love the Scout body! However, you will need to use that $200 saving to improve the crawling performance since the Scout body is huge and tall, so fairly top heavy.
A lot of YT reviewers don't like the Velcro body attachment of the Gen8, but I do. I applied E6000 adhesive to the edges of the Velcro, so now it no longer lifts along the edges when removing the body. The body mounting system of the my TRX4 Defender, is kind of a pain, and requires a bit of finagling to get it secure. However, the under body mounting system of my SCX Jeep is a total pita! I absolutely hate it! Sure, it helps with the scale appearance, but regardless, it needs to be redesigned for those with adult sized fingers!
Of the 3, the TRX4 is hands down, the best rock crawler. My class 1 Defender outcrawls my class 2 Jeep. That says a lot!

Last edited:
Having all 3, I highly recommend the TRX4 platform. It's just a level above the other 2 brands in regards to trail/crawl performances.
The SCX10iii 2 speed is absolutely weak. It's an increase in maybe an extra 2mph. Axial obviously put no thought into that design. I went through 3 of those stock micro servos for gear shifting. I didn't bother replacing it after the 3rd fail. No big lost, really. Traxxas does their 2 speed right. The TRX4 2 speed system turns it into a rock racer, whenever you want it. I actually just leave it in the high speed, and it does absolutely fine with low speed crawling.
The stock Traxxas Canyon Trail tires are awesome, underrated crawl tires. They perform just as well as my pricey Proline Hyrax.
The Traxxas esc did crap out on me, so I replaced it with a programmable $40 Hobbywing 1080. Now, it's even smoother! My stock rtr SCX10iii esc can actually be programmed using the included programming card that came with my 1080 esc 👍
Another feature that I like on my TRX4 is the the cruise control. It's really nice to walk a long trail without having to constantly, manually control your throttle. Of the 3, the TRX4 also runs the quietest and smoothest in stock form.
The Redcat Gen8V2, at around $200 cheaper, was my first scale crawler and I absolutely love the Scout body! However, you will need to use that $200 saving to improve the crawling performance since the Scout body is huge and tall, so fairly top heavy.
A lot of YT reviewers don't like the Velcro body attachment of the Gen8, but I do. I applied E6000 adhesive to the edges of the Velcro, so now it no longer lifts along the edges even removing the body. The body mounting system of the my TRX4 Defender, is kind of a pain, and requires a bit of finagling to get it secure. However, the under body mounting system of my SCX Jeep is a total pita! I absolutely hate it! Sure, it helps with the scale appearance, but regardless, it needs to be redesigned for those with adult sized fingers!
Of the 3, the TRX4 is hands down, the best rock crawler. My class 1 Defender outcrawls my class 2 Jeep. That says a lot!
Oh sh*t very nice.. that's my next build.. the TRX-4. Going with the build kit. Going to start ordering small parts for the drive train, axles portal covers, keep the weight towards the bottom. Then just get a lex body for it.. nice overall review of the 3 bud very nice. Oh I can wait.. I also getting a couple of the 24s as well got two in cart. For after the mortgage clears.😁👍👍
Might have to let the wife and kid get me the TRX for Xmas or birthday.. we will see if I can wait probably not though.😉😁👍🤣🤣

Oh sh*t very nice.. that's my next build.. the TRX-4. Going with the build kit. Going to start ordering small parts for the drive train, axles portal covers, keep the weight towards the bottom. Then just get a lex body for it.. nice overall review of the 3 bud very nice. Oh I can wait.. I also getting a couple of the 24s as well got two in cart. For after the mortgage clears.😁👍👍
Might have to let the wife and kid get me the TRX for Xmas or birthday.. we will see if I can wait probably not though.😉😁👍🤣🤣
I wouldn't rush into it with all the brass bling just yet. With a lightweight body, you may not need any of it. Low weight can be very advantageous in regards to crawling. My TRX4 platform is carrying a large and tall Defender body with plenty of scale bling, so it's rather top heavy and needs all that heavy components down below.
Run it with your choice of body first, then go from there.

I wouldn't rush into it with all the brass bling just yet. With a lightweight body, you may not need any of it. Low weight can be very advantageous in regards to crawling. My TRX4 platform is carrying a large and tall Defender body with plenty of scale bling, so it's rather top heavy and needs all that heavy components down below.
Run it with your choice of body first, then go from there.
I just really like the treal blue portal covers. It's hard to find blue parts. So I usually get them when I see them. Plus Treal hobby puts out some really nice quality parts made from 7075 aluminum. But I will build first.. thanks man👍👍
Easy.........BOTH! 😉
I 100% agree with that all day 😁👍👍

Wow, are my weakness's really that noticeable? :p
Not at all its just what I would due.. I want to build the Kra8 and trx-4. Been looking at parts for both. Plus I think I'm a part junky..🤔🤣🤣🤣😉
More the merrier

spec r S! like
this that is custom with dual 3650 motors
241858493_387607599409037_7734268656335406107_n.jpg

spec r S! like
this that is custom with dual 3650 motors View attachment 135236
That is definitely a cool build but off a little off topic for this thread. The OP is asking what crawler to buy. If you have pics of this build post up a build thread in the RC Garage and Projects forum! :)

The VS410 is a lot of truck for the money.expensive but not much to upgrade. And it does it all.
Now that Vanquish just came out with the VS4-10 Phoenix, I think that would be an even better option than the Pro or Ultra. Since the Phoenix has plastic axle housings instead of aluminum, it lowers the cost down by a big chunk, and also, I think plastic slides better over rocks than aluminum as well, and they are cheaper to replace (there is also a brass insert into the plastic housing to increase unsprung weight and also to make it stronger). It is still a fairly new truck, so I would wait to see what others say about it (just in case), but so far (from what people on YT said), it looks to be a very solid truck, packed with lots of great and unique functions (switchable overdrive, shiftable RWD to 4x4, dig unit, 49 degrees of steering, portal axles, etc.).

Here would be my list of options in alphabetical order.
  • Axial SCX10 II/III - parts, parts and more parts
  • Redcat Gen8 - Scale looks
  • Traxxes TRX4 - god performance and indestructible (almost)
  • Vanquish Phoenix - great performance and starts with upgraded parts
I have a TRX4 and love it. It's performs very well for an RTR and everything Traxxas is nearly indestructible. I've since added weight, swapped the motor, esc & sevrvo, wheels and tires. It also got a very much needed "bumper diet".

If you like the scale looks the Redcat Gen8 are popular and the SCX10 III has an optional dig unit which is very useful. So you can't go wrong with any of the three.

There also is a new Vanquish Phoenix that is price competitive.

What ever you get, make sure you can get replacement/upgrade parts. All 4 have replacements and upgrades, but the SCX seems to have the most options, follow by TR. The Redcat has very few upgrade optinos. The Vanquish starts as an upgrade.

I am a fan of the Element Sendero series. I have the Sendero HD, Trail Runner, and the Ecto. All three rigs are well designed, perform well, and look good. As well as being lower priced than their major competitors. ELEMENT RC CRAWLERS/TRAIL TRUCKS