The "what you broke today" thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be losing my mind, this is the second time I put something in the wrong thread.
I guess I can name it my "watch me break something" post.

I just went with the "you broke your mind" part. ;)

I must be losing my mind, this is the second time I put something in the wrong thread.
I guess I can name it my "watch me break something" post.
That's all right. It's not like you posted it in the "food" thread 😉
I just went with the "you broke your mind" part. ;)
Now, we've evolved into the "breaking your balls" thread. 🤣

I rather enjoy reading the "what did you buy today" thread. If you're like me, what you bought today, is usually a result of what you broke 😂. This isn't limited to RCs. Stripping out banjo bolts, breaking dishes, refrigerator handle, axle nut, curling iron, ball washer freshly spliced fiber optic lines and whatever else. Or hell, what you found that someone else broke 😂.

My contribution for today is RC related. Tool my 6s outcast to a skate park today. Not even 5min in, broke a rear a-arm and shock stand off. I need to dial back the punch and brake. Truck spun after a landing and hit a hand rail.
Ok, so usually I don't break a lot of stuff, especially RC stuff as I'm a more cautious, "take it slower" kind of driver for multiple reasons (less breakages, less repair money, less cleaning, less electronic heat, ect.). However, I do break other non-RC stuff. You said that we could post any and all breakages...

So two days ago, one of my friends and I was messing around on our MTBs (Mountain Bikes), and he got this great idea to attach paracord to our bikes and tow stuff. Now, before you go and say that was stupid, when riding around, you don't have the most sound judgement, on the spot (at least for us), and as we all know, when with (a) friend (s), you do some dumb stuff. So all was going well, but then at one point I turned and braked (not even super aggresively), and the paracord got under/beside the right side of my front tire. It quickly got wound up on the right side of the front axle, then the left side, right beside the disk rotor. There was also a bad grinding sound. I quickly stopped, and started to untangle the rope from my front axle. I then noticed that one of the mounting holes my front, handmade, mudguard had gotten ripped (the previous day the first hole had ripped), and a third hole was on it's way too. I was a bit bummed out, but I could make a new mudguard.

After a few minutes of untangling, the paracord was out of the front axle. The last foot and a half of my friend's paracord had gotten severed from the rest, but he said he can heat up the ends and retie the paracord.

My front brake system seemed to be ok, but we noticed that the front tire had a puncture! (😡😠) We figured that the rope had semi-sliced through part of the tire's sidewall when the rope was under moderate tension and high friction, crazy. You usually don't associate rope with "sharp"....but then, my friend noticed that my front brake hose (I have hydraulic disk brakes on my MTB) had a significant "kink" in it, you could see the hose, in one place, had small white stress marks. I reckoned that another impact/crash/stress just may snap it, causing the mineral oil inside to spurt out, which would contaminate the disk rotor and pads, be messy, and just bad.

So a damaged mudguard (I got about 1.5 years of use out of it before this happened), punctured front tire (I'm gonna at least need a new tube), and a kinked front brake hose! I've started "fixing" them, I have another mudguard that I made, and I just slapped that on, we're gonna bodge our way through with the brake hose, using some E-tape and Gorilla tape (just for the time being until we can get it properly fixed), and I'm in the process of replacing the front tube.

I'll post pics of the damage later so ya'll won't riot! 🤣🤣 This is the most damage that has occured on my bike, I don't crash a whole lot, and very rarely break parts!

Edit: Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, I fitted a new tube to the front tire, it's been holding air fine, and fitted my other mudguard too, all over a week ago. The brake hose bodge is holding so far!

Last edited:
Broke a few things on the xmaxx yesterday. One drive cup, bumper mount, separated the shock tower and broke the chassis brace or whatever it's called. Landed some pretty sweet flips and botched a few. The six pack tires don't offer great air control but they have great traction. I'd estimate a few 20+ feet landings.

Attachments

• 20220224_181822.jpg
    20220224_181822.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220224_175815.jpg
    20220224_175815.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 35
Broke a few things on the xmaxx yesterday. One drive cup, bumper mount, separated the shock tower and broke the chassis brace or whatever it's called. Landed some pretty sweet flips and botched a few. The six pack tires don't offer great air control but they have great traction. I'd estimate a few 20+ feet landings.
Whoopsie! Six pack tires? What're those? I know that Treal makes some aluminum diff housings, but more to the point, someone make theses little drive-cup-stiffener things that "prevent" the drive cups from breaking, I'm gonna see if I can find the link to those parts...ok, found it turns out, they are made by ARC hobbies. I saw these on Kevin Talbot's beater Xmaxx, skip to 1:08 to see the drive cup stiffeners.

Whoopsie! Six pack tires? What're those? I know that Treal makes some aluminum diff housings, but more to the point, someone make theses little drive-cup-stiffener things that "prevent" the drive cups from breaking, I'm gonna see if I can find the link to those parts...ok, found it turns out, they are made by ARC hobbies. I saw these on Kevin Talbot's beater Xmaxx, skip to 1:08 to see the drive cup stiffeners.
Duratrax six pack tires.

I have some of those and I have up trying to get them on my hardened steel drive cups

Duratrax six pack tires.

I have some of those and I have up trying to get them on my hardened steel drive cups
Ok. I did a quick search, apparently they get their name from the "six pack" central tread pattern.

Was there supposed to be a "gave" in there, like "...I have gave up trying to get them on my...."? Are you using upgraded drive cups, or does the Xmaxx come with metal ones stock?

Oh, cool! Wait, the Xmaxx has a 24mm hex? You're probably laughing right now, going "Of course it does!", but that's the kind of thing that someone who doesn't own an Xmaxx won't know from watching YT videos! 🤣🤣

How come they don't fit, is the drive cup too big?

Yea, 24mm hex but xmaxx use a 17mm wheel nut. It's pretty stupid. So to run standard 1/5 scale wheels, you need adapters.

I think the drive cup needs to be put in the freezer and sleeves need to be heated up.

Yea, 24mm hex but xmaxx use a 17mm wheel nut. It's pretty stupid. So to run standard 1/5 scale wheels, you need adapters.

I think the drive cup needs to be put in the freezer and sleeves need to be heated up.
I thought 17mm hexes were mainly used on 1/8 scale cars and heavy duty 1/10 scales! The Xmaxx is supposedly a 1/6 scale though. 🤷‍♂️ I assume in order to run 24mm hexes you'd need to do some mods and fabrication, other than just switching hexes?

That might work, I was gonna say try grinding a tiny bit off of the drive cup and maybe a little bit off the inside of the sleeves, but then that'd weaken everything. Try doing what you said, add a few minor mallet/hammer taps (not to hard or you'll run the risk of breaking, or bending a part), and hopefully they'll pop on!

I rather enjoy reading the "what did you buy today" thread. If you're like me, what you bought today, is usually a result of what you broke 😂. This isn't limited to RCs. Stripping out banjo bolts, breaking dishes, refrigerator handle, axle nut, curling spliced fiber optic lines and whatever else. Or hell, what you found that someone else broke 😂.

My contribution for today is RC related. Tool my 6s outcast to a skate park today. Not even 5min in, broke a rear a-arm and shock stand off. I need to dial back the punch and brake. Truck spun after a landing and hit a hand rail.
Your willingness to share helps fumble-fingered people like me when they mess up. THANK YOU ! Today, I accidentally shorted out an NiMH battery in my new robot which killed the control CPU and melted some of the support plastic. Didn't need my fire extinguisher thank goodness. ROBOT QUESTION- has anyone tinkered with a MECCANO G15 ROBOT to add a standard ESC and receiver to give the "driver" an alternative to BLUETOOTH and voice control options ? Since I have two of these G15s, I might mount those photoelectric ray guns so the 'bots could battle each other sort of like the RC tracked tanks fight with light beans and sensors. PIX one of these days.

Castles 2280kv is no joke. I just sheared 3 bolts on my rear end. On the plus side she was laying rubber on the 2 mile drive today.

Pic included was yesterday playing in an undeveloped sinkhole, given the areas history I was in.

Attachments

• 20220304_185828.jpg
    20220304_185828.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220303_142310.jpg
    20220303_142310.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 30
Your willingness to share helps fumble-fingered people like me when they mess up. THANK YOU ! Today, I accidentally shorted out an NiMH battery in my new robot which killed the control CPU and melted some of the support plastic. Didn't need my fire extinguisher thank goodness. ROBOT QUESTION- has anyone tinkered with a MECCANO G15 ROBOT to add a standard ESC and receiver to give the "driver" an alternative to BLUETOOTH and voice control options ? Since I have two of these G15s, I might mount those photoelectric ray guns so the 'bots could battle each other sort of like the RC tracked tanks fight with light beans and sensors. PIX one of these days.
That could have been real bad, thankfully that wasn't a LiPo! I'm never messed with RC robots before, never owned one, but could you get an RC ESC and receiver, and just plug all the servos and stuff into the receiver (AKA RX)? If the servos and motors don't have the right plugs, try adapters, or better yet, solder on new plugs. Worse case, buy new servos and stuff! :)

Stripped out the diff in my Nitro Rustler!
27C81FB9-B007-4DB2-8ED6-5CD4FCABEB6B.jpeg

Do they make stronger gears?
They make lockers which would break something else. I think all the aftermarket non sealed diffs use stock internals.

On my trx mini, I would cherry red the ring and pinion then dip it in water or oil. The only thing better then that to harden steel is to use extreme cold. My freezer can't go low enough. 🤣

Back