The Ugly Truckling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rolex that is amazing.as woodie said you should send pics to all the rc magizines.you will have no problem getting in the mag
i think all the guys that bought tickets to the lotto should just say give the crawler to rolex

An amazing piece of work! You should submit this paint job to all the RC magazines!

+1 to this. you would definitely win the monthly prize!!
hats offs to your work, best i have ever seen!

Rolex.....I know you have hear this a thousand times....but I damn near got misty eyed looking at the time and love that went in to that. I have seen some cool paint but. This IS IT. You are officially...The coolest. Yes wear the badge proudly. What size of bar stock do you need for the side mirrors? I can look around on this side of the world.

I thank you all so very much for the compliments. I've been looking at this every day for a few weeks, so I guess I've gotten used to it. I am absolutely honored that it's getting so much appreciation.

What size of bar stock do you need for the side mirrors? I can look around on this side of the world.
I was looking for the right sized flat stock for the triangle frames, but today I spotted a pickup with round tubing, pressed flat where it mounted to the door and the mirror. I shot by my art supply store, and got exactly what I need.

Every time I look at that truck a see something a missed before.It is amazing.I like the door roped shut.My brother in law had a truck something like that and the door was tied shut just like that.

the door was tied shut just like that.

LMAO! I tried getting bits of every ragged truck I ever saw as a kid. Today I added a couple of more details that normally wouldn't be thought of unless you realize that they are ALWAYS there. I'll add a couple of more pics tomorrow.

I'm speechless. What a piece of crap. You call yourself a painter? You putrid pile of parrot droppings! You should be embarrassed to post those pics. Banned from RCNT. BANNED I SAY!!

(thought you might be getting bored with all the compliments)

I keep looking at all the pics from the beginning. It's like looking at a Norman Rockwell painting. The more you look the more you see. I stand in awe. Make sure you bring it to Charlie's RCNT picnic. What was that date again Charlie?

LMAO!!!
Thanks, NitroNewb, you made my day!
Putrid pile of parrot droppings.......Man, that's funny!

I've been adding details I missed, so stand by for updates in the next day or so.

It's a one of a kind, thats for sure! Nice work Rolex I think my Wheely King needs a rusty old body now.

Where did you get the wheels and tires, they are perfect for that truck.

Hey Rolex, sorry I've missed this post. Just started a new job a few weeks ago and have been on very little since...
You've done a fantastic job on that truck. Simply amazing. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. It belongs under glass..:bow:

yeah in a safe in a huge tank full of piranha's and sharks.

Okay, here's an update.

Good to know my chief of security is still on the ball.:yes:

Where did you get the wheels and tires, they are perfect for that truck.

They were black rims and tires made to fit the Axial Crawler. I don't remember what they were called, but they're from Hobbytown USA.

Added taillights and amber lights on top of the front fenders.

taillight.jpg

licPlte.jpg

Side rails are removable and slide into rectangular openings.
railsTop.jpg

This is the underside of the bed, showing the rectangular channels that the fence rails slide into.
sideRails.jpg

Note the F-100 Ford badge on the side of the hood. I just noticed I had forgotten to do the other side.........
badge1.jpg

.....so it ended up even better than planned.

badge.jpg

And here's the one working wiper.

Wiper.jpg

Wiper2.jpg

And finally, this should be the last of it, the outside mirrors.
This is the brass tube frame in progress and being soldered.

MirFrame.jpg

It keeps getting better and better. After restoring a 68 Chevy pickup, and buying MANY parts trucks as whole trucks just so I could take one rare bracket off or a brace that I needed to chop up, I've been to many barns and seen a lot of old rustbuckets like this one, and I've seen so many of the details that you thought to add, and I never dreamed that anyone could recreate them in such a perfect manner. I can't wait to see this one submitted to the rags, it will definitely be ride of the month.

Are those the HPI wheels that are called stock car or something like that?

Are those the HPI wheels that are called stock car or something like that?

I just checked my trash, and the only labels I have left there are for Lexan, brass tubing and the Rat Rod I'll be rusting for ImBroken.
HPI does sound familiar as far as the rims go. The tires are labeled HPI Racing Yokohama.

Rolex that truck is amazing. You'll probably run the Savage before ya take a chance on scratching that one.

Back