Wrench's EZ How 2 paintwork w/ carbon effect

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrenchHead

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey All; Well here we are again. You reading my EZZEE Liquid Mask Paint Job. I got a new RC18R Niteline AE body and I used Liquid Mask for the first time. So here is my EZZEE to follow step by step Liquid Mask Paint Job. Well the first thing to do is pick out a body you want to paint and fits your ride. Then you will want to find a nice large clean work area to do all you prep work and lay out all items needed to complete the task at hand. Also you will need a well ventalated area to spray your colors of choice.In order to keep this first time EZZEE I decided to go with a simple 2 color paint job with a little bit of grafix work. I decided to add my signiture fake carbon fiber look to the hood. Looks good from a distance and works for me.Also I wanted something that would go with the import tuner look that this body will fit. I thought about my signiture paint job but this is going to be my runner body for the RC18R and didn't want to spend a whole bunch of time just to bash the crapolla out of it. Take your time there are no trophies for finishing early and if you flub the job it is a pain to redue it all over again.
So the first thing is to pick out a body that fits your ride and is clean and lint free.Here is the new body I chose for this ride. An AE RC18R Niteline shell. Best looking body out now for the 18R chassis. I washed the body cpmpletly to remove all mold release agents still on the body.I use a new scrunge sponge that I only use for washing bodies.After I use it and it dryes out I put it into a ziplock and stash it away so the wife will not reclaim it as her's. I don't want anything to contaminate this sponge. So after washing with the soft side of the sponge and some warm soapy water I flip the sponge over and use the scrubby/scratchy side to lightly scuff the inside of the body so the paint will have something to adhear to and you will be less likely to have your paint chipping or flakeing off.
Brand new body from AE just out the bag.WASH YOUR HANDS THOUGOUGHLY FIRST!!!!
LiquidMaskpaintjob001.jpg

Here I am washing the body with some warm water and soap to prep for my liquid mask.
LiquidMaskpaintjob002.jpg

Here I am scrubbing the inside to get rid of mold release agents and to scuff up for the paint.
LiquidMaskpaintjob003.jpg

Also I dry with lint free paper towels if I can get em. If not use regular paper towels and crumple them up and shake them out to get the little lint particles off the paper towel and not stuck to the inside of the body. Also when I am finished I will wipe this inside of the body out with DA(denatured alcohol).Also wipe you hands with the DA towel as to remove any body oils you have on your fingers.
LiquidMaskpaintjob004.jpg

I also use a tack rag to get rid of anything on the inside of the body.
Now that the body is clean and dry and your hands are clean it is time to start applying your first coat of liquid mask. It states in the directions you can apply with either a brush and or blow it on from an airbruch if thinned to flow properly.I decided to just pick up a couple of cheepy brushes at the LHS and paint it on by brush,I chose Dave Spivey's liquid mask as I has a gift cert. from Tower Hobby and bought it from them a while ago but have not used it till now. So let's get things started.
Here I have all the items needed to start this job within arms reach as to not have to keep getting up to get and find what all I need to get this under way.
LiquidMaskpaintjob005.jpg

So I decided to use the supplied window masks just to be different and if I use all liquid mask I will have a hard time seeing where to trim off this stuff.This way I know where my windows will be and no need to guess.Here is the window masks but I like to cut them up to roughly the size of the window.
LiquidMaskpaintjob006.jpg

Here I weed out the masking I will not be useing. And cut out the individual masks for each window.
LiquidMaskpaintjob007.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob008.jpg

Also to make it EEZZIER to apply the window masks into the right possition I like to lightly score(don't go through the mask) a set of lines through the backer paper as to be able to apply and repossition as needed to get it just right.Nothing sucks more than not having your mask in the wrong spot and you have to try and remove them and repossition them.If they don't rip or tear your lucky. Or you will be forced to make your own.Always use a new Exacto blade when doing this.It will cut and not rip throught the backer paper.
LiquidMaskpaintjob009.jpg

Here you see my mask being lined up with the window molding in the body.
LiquidMaskpaintjob010.jpg

Start in the middle and roll the mask on and the paper off out to one side and push down hard to set in place.I will go back over the edges with an old credit card to burnish the edges down good as to keep blow under down to a minimum.Also remeber to do this right before you actually start to paint as the edges will sometimes come back up after it sits for a while.
LiquidMaskpaintjob012.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob011.jpg

Now I am ready to apply my first coat of Liquid Mask. I will wipe out the body with some DA and a paper towel and also wipe off my hands with DA.You can never have clean enough hands as your body produces oils and the like all the time.Even just scratching your nose can get you fingers contaminated with stuff. If that is tranfered to the body your paint will have a really hard time sticking.
LiquidMaskpaintjob013.jpg

And here we have the first coat being applyed and I will speed up the drying time by putting the body under my light and use the heat from the light to speed up the drying time in between coats.A hair dryer will work but is noisy in the house.
LiquidMaskpaintjob014.jpg

Apply a nice even uniformed coat. Let dry a bit but not completely so the next coat has something tacky to adhear to.It states in the directions to apply a few coats as to thick is better than to thin.It is EEZZIER to peel off a thick coat as opposed to a thin coat that keeps breaking apart.
Here I use the heat from the light to speed up drying between coats.
LiquidMaskpaintjob016.jpg

Here I have applyed the third and final coat making it just a little thicker than the first two. I added a really thick third coat since it is best to let the mask set up over night as per the instuctins.It looks milky now but will be clear when it has dryed thoroughly.
LiquidMaskpaintjob015.jpg

Now that your mask has dryed overnight you are ready to plan your paint attack.I will keep it simple on this job as to keep time down and expense as well. This body will get no mercy from me. I will drive it fast and furious.Next I will take my marking pen and start writing down on the outside of the body my color choices and my desighn layout.If you flub it up,don't frett. Just use your DA and wipe it off and start again.Do this as many times as needed to get what you want.
Here I have started to write down my colors and layout.
LiquidMaskpaintjob017.jpg

I use a small notebook to write down my ideas and to keep a check list of things I did so I don't do steps more than once or keep count as to how many layers were applyed.Keeps me from going INSANE.
LiquidMaskpaintjob018.jpg

OK class, here we are now ready to apply some paint finally.Remeber to always apply your darker colors first and lighter colors last.This keeps the darker colors from overpowering and overtaking the lighter colors.So I will start with the black for the front grill area and the hood scoop as well.Lets Lay Some Paint.I used rattle cans for this job to keep thing EEZZE on me and for you.I apply a few thin but even coats of Outlaw black and use a hairdryer to warm the body before I paint and put the paint into a hot water bath to warm the paint.I do this for a few reasons.I want the body to be warm and the paint to be warm so the paint will dry faster and to keep runs down to a minimum if I get a little trigger happy.
Here I apply the black.*TIP * I use and old sock with the toes cut out slid up my arm to not get covered with overspray.Also paint in a WELL ventilated area and wear a mask over your mouth and nose.Paint fumes kill braincells fast.
LiquidMaskpaintjob019.jpg

Also I found these stiff but flexy bungy rope thingies at Home Depot to hold the body being painted away from your body as to keep from getting covered in paint down to a minimum.
LiquidMaskpaintjob020.jpg

Here I use an old hair dryer my wife "LET" me have to use for my paint work.I use it to warm up the body before I apply a color and to speed up drying after the color has been applyed. Do Not put right up against the body as to much heat is not good.I use it on low heat about 8-10 inches from the work suface.
LiquidMaskpaintjob021.jpg

Now I have the black on and dryed I will cut out the hood area as I will be adding the faux carbon look hood effect. I use a sticker with holes in it as a mask.I got this at a sign shop that uses it for rear window stickers since you still need to be able to see through it. He sold me a huge piece for $5 and it will last me a long time.So first I cut out a peice just a little bigger than my work area.
LiquidMaskpaintjob022.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob023.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob024.jpg

Next I will trim it to almost the same size as I need but with a little overhang so the sides don't come up short.
LiquidMaskpaintjob025.jpg

Here I have applyed the mesh sticker to the inside and pushed the edges down real good to keep from getting blow by or under. Here is a pic of the inside and the outside.
LiquidMaskpaintjob026.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob027.jpg

Now I will paint the dots with Indy silver as to get the desired effect. The Carbon Look Hood I have done to a few of my rides.
LiquidMaskpaintjob028.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob029.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob030.jpg

Now I have to peel off the mask before the silver dryes so it will not peel off any paint when I pull off the mask.Then I will add the black to fill in the rest of the web effect.Then followed by one more light coat of silver to finish it off.
LiquidMaskpaintjob031.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob032.jpg

Now comes the time to peel off the next large area to be painted.Here I will be paintning my blue and will need to weed out the mask areas I have marked off with my marker pen. I had to cut up an Exacto blade in order to fit it in the body so I could do my cuttig.I wil post up how I did that at another time.So now I will be laying down my next color.Blue x 3
LiquidMaskpaintjob033.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob034.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob035.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob038.jpg

Now that the blue is down and dry it is time to peel off the last of the liquid mask and apply the final color to this paint job.I will be backing the blue and adding my final color all at once.I will add the Indy silver in light even coats and dry with the hair dryer to speed it up a little.Here I have the silver on and all I have left to do is cut out the body and apply my decals and to mount this puppy on the car.
LiquidMaskpaintjob036.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob037.jpg

Here I have started to cut out a rough edge as to get this job finished and on the road.
LiquidMaskpaintjob039.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob041.jpg

LiquidMaskpaintjob040.jpg

Well here is the finished product. I like the look of this one alot and I hope this helps you all out a little bit too. I look forward to useing the Liquid Mask again on a more involved paint job in the near future so keep an eye out for my future work shown only here at "TheToyZ" forums. Keep On Truckin' and the rubber side down.L8R,WrenchHead.

Niteline001.jpg

Niteline002.jpg

Nice write up bro....your sock has a hole in it! lol

Yea it is either that or I have paint on my arm.lol Thanks fellas.

Hey Wrench, I can not find that material you used for the CF, and not even the drawer liner stuff. Any ideas or can ya sell a piece?

I am out as well on my end. But any sign shop has it. Ever seen the decals over windows you can still see out of. That is the same stuff. I'll see if I can find some for ya. Need some for new lid idea coming up soon.

I am out as well on my end. But any sign shop has it. Ever seen the decals over windows you can still see out of. That is the same stuff. I'll see if I can find some for ya. Need some for new lid idea coming up soon.

Thanks! Sure would appreciate it. I am still looking around here too. Living in a small town causes me to drive all over to find some stuff. I did find sheetrock mesh tape, but the holes are smaller. May have to work in a pinch.

Nice job wrench! That looks tight :D

Heath

That body looks awesome some one told my u can use window screening has anyone every heard of this before I'm just wondering cause some CF panels would look cool as all get out on some of my bodies!

Back