The Ugly Truckling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bet $$ that lid will be in every mag you send a picture to.... I'm speechless man, just amazing attention to detail.. The crappy wiper marks were a perfect touch..

Just curious but how much does that thing weigh?

That's funny. I guess it LOOKS heavy because of all the rusted steel. All the wood in the bed and the side rails is thin bass ply, and the bumpers are balsa. The only item with some weight will be the brass mirror frame in the last pic, and that's tubing, not solid rod.
It does have a little extra weight from being painted inside and out, but probably not too much more than a stock paint job.

Wow, this thing keeps looking better every time I look at it. I'd definitely buy the magazine that featured this insane lid, that's for sure. Is this possibly the inspiration? Nah it can't be, but I thought I'd share some an artsy photo.

306079822_e2c09ea913.jpg

Wow, that picture is really beautiful. I looked at it for a long time, trying to figure out if it was a photo or a painting. I believe it's a photo with some adjustments. If it was a painting, the artist would be famous.

I've come up with a few photos of very old and very rusted trucks that I'll be printing and framing. It's a piece of Americana, fast disappearing.

Wow rolex, this is simply amazing! That would be sweet to put on my Aftershock.
Whats it look like mounted?

Thats awsome. i love that truck. i like the ratrod look on cars. id love to be able to get hold of a Ford Model A pickup or sedan body and have it like this. Anyone done any other Hotrods or Ratrods?

Amazing Rolex, simply amazing! You HAVE to build a rusty old scaler to go under that lid.

What would you recommend for starters. I looked around in HobbyTown, and there's nothing that would work 'off the rack'. I already got a $20 and then a $30 kid remote truck from Kmart, just for wheels, got them home, ripped them apart, and things just didn't work out.
If I could get a rear end that gave me the right width to keep the tires inside the fenders, I'd be off to a good start.
Since it wouldn't be bashed, I can build the frame and most of the chassis out of soldered brass tubing and styrene.
As long as I do the build, I can still do the interior since I can run frame rails or wires under the center hump in the floor.

well the narrowest axles out there at the moment are the tlt axles. I believe Tamiya is actually going to start selling their axles seperately from the kits too. However RC4WD is coming out with a sweet scale axle that is even smaller, the trex mini. I would definitely go with 1.9 tires and rims on that truck though.

how long did that take you to paint? it looks amazing!

how long did that take you to paint? it looks amazing!

I haven't really kept track, but some days I spent all day, and other days only an hour or two. Just been picking away, but I guess I'm around the hundred hour mark.

I heard a rumor that someone didn't think the license plate was dirty enough. LMAO.....about 12 hours before I heard that, I tried putting it on the back of the cab, then realized that there was NO baling wire anywhere on the truck. So, here it is.

plate2.jpg

Truck lights added to front fenders. (Gotta' keep it street legal)
frontLts.jpg

You're looking at an actual reflection, with bottom of mirror
missing, and a few extra cracks.
MirrorRr.jpg

Mirror2.jpg

Now I'm adding some accessories to throw in the back.

that is brilliant! what are you going to make for the back?
i agree with everyone else, you should send pictures to the magazines

Jumper cables, extension cords, loops of rope, things like that. The basics of life for an old working truck.
I've also got some dowel rod, and I've scaled down some beer labels. Gotta' have some empty cans back there.
I'm open to any suggestions.

how did you do the marks on the windscreen?
do you have any pictures of what the shell looked like before you painted it?

Just a basic clear lexan lid:
fenders1.jpg

Windshield scars were done with a drafting bow compass with points instead of lead.

Last edited:
Lookin better everytime i open up this thread!!
big thumbs up!

Back