My "Prerunner" body mod. **PICS**

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmatt1605

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So this is my "i cracked the body in the back and decided to have fun with it" DIY. Doing this is by no means "show quality" but IMO i think it is a pretty cool little mod to give your maxx a bit of character. that being said....here we go

1. the list of things you will need:

-super glue
-plastic repair epoxy
-dremel tool (or a very sharp hobby knife)
-some paint (this is up to you.....BE CREATIVE!)

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

2. chop the front

-i just followed an existing line on the front of the body, and hacked away. it kind of gives it the effect of having no bumper.

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

3. "dovetail" (narrow) the back

-this was based off of a prerunner/trail buggy look.

-cut up the back of the body exactly 1/4" away from the slits already existing in the rear of the body, this 1/4" is very important! it gives the body area to stick to. after you glue, the sides will be at the edge of the existing slits.

-cut up following the "tailgate" line
cut across the top of the back connecting the two previous cuts made.

-take a straight edge and go from the INSIDE cut on the back, to the corner of the cab, mark this line and cut that line.

-cut the very edge of the bed close to the fender, after cutting you should wind up with a triangle.

-some relief cuts may have to be made near the cab, to allow the fender to bend.

-repeat for other side!

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

4. tack it in place

-using your super glue, "tack" the body in place once you have it bent to where you would like to keep it.

- after it is tacked, run a bead of super glue down every contact point you can manage!

5. finish weld

-after the super glue is dry, take your epoxy, once mixed, and lather in over where you previously placed the super glue.

-if possible, take your finger, or some other smoothing object and try to make the epoxy as smooth as possible.

-make sure you do this on the INSIDE 2X as much as the outside!!

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

6. MAKE IT A CROWD PLEASER!!

-***WARNING**** THIS PAINT WILL HAVE TO GO ON THE OUT SIDE OF YOUR BODY! IT WILL GET SCRATCHED AND SCRAPED!!!! SO DO NOT MAKE IT AN EXPENSIVE ONE!

-- i just used 3 different colors, black, white, and blue. the black and white i used krylon spray paint, and the blue i used my mini spray gun for the effect. total paint time (not including time between coats) was 30 min. i also added about 10 coats of spray clear coating.

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

this was my first DIY so i hope you all enjoyed!:D

i like the rear shape also. it looks like the s10 truggy that xtreme 4x4 made.

Back