Steering servo for 1/8 nitro buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be up front with you i would not get that.
I would save up and try a savox. I made to mistake of cheapen out on a $30dollar servo and only used it once. That was a waist of money. Tmaxxfreek recommended one and it shows to be good. By specs but i haven't used one yet but i will soon. Let me see if i can find a link for ya.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Heres the specs he found for me.
The SC1258TG combines leading edge technology with super high 12-bit (4096) resolution and titanium and aluminum gears for one amazing servo! With titanium and aluminum gears, this servo is truly magical. Pushing 167 ounces of torque and a blistering .08 transit time, this servo is redefining what an all-around servo should be capable of. This is a great upgrade to most comparably priced servos.

Features:
Combines leading edge technology with super high 12 bit (4096) resolution and titanium gears.
Super light-weight.
Coreless motor provides high speed, incredible efficiency, and low power consumption.
Extremely strong titanium gears ensure long-life and durability.
The aluminum case design not only looks good but also allows for cooler and smoother operating temps.
Our servos are totally green – from materials to production, these servos are environmentally friendly.
Ideal for CCPM on 600 and 700 class heli, steering servo on 1/10 scale buggies.
Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
Weight(g): 52.4
Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .10
Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 133.3
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .08
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 166.6
Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Aluminum
25 Tooth Spline

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

But then again if your bashing and not racing then your ok with just a metal gear servo.

I used a good HiTec metal gear servo on my XB-8.

Thanks for the information guys. I am leaning towards a basic metal geared servo for the basher. I will definitely consider the titanium as a future upgrade for the racer.

Snook man did you have the endpoints adjusted correctly causing 6 hitecs to fail?

Wow...i guess maybe their quality has dropped off since i've been out of the scene for a few years. Hopefully the new ones i have will be good. Thanks for the info

Good point Mike...

Last edited:
Snook man did you have the endpoints adjusted correctly causing 6 hitecs to fail?

Funny you ask, that was the same question the HiTec CS rep asked.

I’ve been doing this a very long time, it wasn’t end points/over voltage, etc that caused the failures. The quality of the 645 has dropped over the years or I just got a bad batch. I ordered a dozen, 6 failed and I sold the rest. I’ve switched to the Savox brand (of which I am pleased with) after many years of using HiTec’s.

I think I'd steer away from that (no pun intended). Go with a more well-known brand like HiTec, Futaba, JR or Savox.

I seen 4 pro-tek servos go out on the same buggy all in one day, i would buy a traxxas servo before i bought a pro-tek.

Last edited:
You know, i like the traxxas 2075 more then the 645MG. Weird. ...

So I'm telling you I have five of them. I have no preference or bias intent. I call it like I see it. I also have MULTIPLE high-end steering servos (7955, 1295, etc. etc.). My son who races Losi actually prefers this 100-T servo on his buggy over any we've tried on it(he did a blind taste test on it). He chose the one that was the fastest and most powerul torque.

The idea is to prevent and overcome any sort of binding as quickly as possibe. A lot of vehicles (including 1/8 nitro racing) reach terminal change in direction, and gets to certain point there is no tangible difference, unless you contract somethig just to break parts. This servo does it. And you know what? It's $50 bucks.

Compare it to anything else with those same specs and the quality is equal to if not better. A one-year warranty from Amain Hobbies (which I've never had to use), etc.

I run one in my Savage and it's an animal.

TMaxx...if you saw 4 go out on the same buggy in one day, I highly doubt it was the servo's fault. Something was obviously not right with the setup.

As always, take what I say however you want. I am just telling you what I have experienced

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Additionally, for any of you skeptics out there....form a commitee and I'll buy you guys this damn servo and ship it to you. You'll come back and then give your opinion. The challenge is there. Ha

Last edited:
I have had cheaper stock servos like the one you mention take a dump on me. I replaced it with a quality HiTec with no other adjustments and haven't had another problem since. Personally I'll go with good quality over low price every time.

I have had cheaper stock servos like the one you mention take a dump on me.
Same here. However...not these. These aren't "no name, bargain basement" servos...they are just relatively new.

A lot of guys at our track are running these ones (same servo just higher specs)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...tal-High-Torque-Metal-Gear-Servo-High-Voltage

ProTek is Amain Hobbies brand, BTW.

I replaced it with a quality HiTec with no other adjustments and haven't had another problem since. Personally I'll go with good quality over low price every time.
I have a SLEW HiTecs use 7955's them in my race vehicles--and yes, they are violent. I've actually had to send three HiTec servos in to be serviced and yet to have a problem with the ProTek ones. Am I comparing them? I guess in a way I am in that any servo can "crap out" and HiTec is no exception. Also, each time I had to send a HiTec one in...it was three week turnaround.

I assure you, I spare no expense nor cut any corners with this hobby. These were recommended to me and I tried it out for myself. I won't provide opinions on anything I've not tried myself. The specs are the same, as is the material, as is the warranty...from a major player in the RC hobby. As noted I have five of them and some have a lot of hours on them. What am I missing? ;-)

Also, OP....what servo do you have now? You really want to compare your current specs vs what you are considering. I have a few of those Savox 1258 ones that Tmaxx recommended....they are okay...but really intended as throttle servos.

If you want the steering version of that, then it would be the Savox 1256. Ideally for a nitro buggy, the minimum torque you want for steering is 200oz. Anyone reading this interested in those ProTeks....I can certainly recommend them.

Last edited:
Also, OP....what servo do you have now? You really want to compare your current specs vs what you are considering. I have a few of those Savox 1258 ones that Tmaxx recommended....they are okay...but really intended as throttle servos.

The servo that broke was a plastic geared one that was part of the Associated RTR radio setup. Apparently plastic geared servos have the strength of wet tissue paper LOL. I was thinking of just getting a new gear set and using it as a throttle servo. But, after what I read in the previous posts that probably would not be a good idea.

I have plenty of time to do my research and shopping before spring arrives. So based on what I have read, I am looking for a digital, fast speed, high torque servo, correct? That should narrow down the search field.

Definitely stick with one of the 4 main brands, Savox, Hitec, Futaba, or JR IMO. i used to use Hitec but after using Savox I feel they are just as good as Hitec but less expensive.

For buggies I like this servo:
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1256TG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1256tg.htm

If you have the room to mount a servo thats about 9mm taller than a normal servo you can save a few bucks by going with this servo:
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1232SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1232sg.htm

Savox servos can usually be found on various websites or even ebay brand new for less than the listed prices on Savox's website.

I have a few of those Savox 1258 ones that Tmaxx recommended....they are okay...but really intended as throttle servos.
A 1258 would be overkill as a steering/throttle servo. Its got about 4 times more torque than MTs come with stock. Not that you couldnt use it as one but you can get a good one for less money than a 1258 would cost IMO. I do agree though that they arent ideal for an 1/8 scale 4WD buggy though. I believe the 1258's are more suited for onroad cars and maybe light 2WD 1/10 scale kits.

Last edited: