Should I Convert my SCT-Ten Nitro to Electric?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyLee

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a total Nitro-newbie and rctalk-forum-newbie, however, I'm pretty well versed in anything ENGINE. I recently came into possession of a, basically bnib, Losi SCT-Ten that had less than 2-tanks through it before the infamous R.O.S.S. system decided to shear off a few teeth and stop functioning. It wasn't until AFTER buying it that I found out it was Discontinued and parts were pretty hard to come by, to say the least. At any rate, I worked it out and found some parts compatibility with the Traxxas 3.3 engine which allowed me to convert it to pull-start and now it runs like a CHAMP!.. Starts on the first pull... And doesn't need an igniter because I opted to keep the R.O.S.S.' igniter which can be activated via the transmitter! Truth be told it's an EXCELLENT system/setup I've got going on and now that the engines been properly broken in and I understand the Nitro carbs, I have ZERO complaints!

Now, even with all that said, I'm still curious if converting to electric is the way to go? I've heard (but have yet to experience) that you need to constantly tune Nitro engines depending on the temperature/humidity/elevation/etc.. I've also heard you basically can't run Nitro's in the winter (outdoors)... Is this true? Also, how good/bad is the Losi 3.4 engine? Does anyone here have any experience with it? Is it even worth keeping? Is there anyway to boost performance of Nitro engines aside from tuning? Can you bore/stroke a Nitro engine like their full-size counterparts? I've got a million questions tbh but I'll stop there. lol!

Any and all replies/comments will be very much appreciated and Thank You all in advance!

I think you've sorta answered you own question. Of course you should keep it nitro, based on your interest in engines.

Nitro tuning is actually rather easy, and while you sometimes need to adjust for temperature, etc, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You can run in Winter, though if it's cold enough you'll likely want to wrap the head in tinfoil to keep the engine temp up. Tuning can definitely boost performance, I would find out the factory break in settings, and go from there (they would be on the very rich side). Boring and stroking - well not sure, most work I see done is with porting mods and other little tweaks. PS Nitro Mods do some pretty amazing work on that front.

Losi 3.4 is a small block, with round 2hp. I've only heard good things about them, but I don't think they are made any longer. If it breaks, I'm sure a Dynamite .19 or O.S. .21 would be great replacement if you couldn't find parts or repair it.

I think you've sorta answered you own question. Of course you should keep it nitro, based on your interest in engines.

Nitro tuning is actually rather easy, and while you sometimes need to adjust for temperature, etc, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You can run in Winter, though if it's cold enough you'll likely want to wrap the head in tinfoil to keep the engine temp up. Tuning can definitely boost performance, I would find out the factory break in settings, and go from there (they would be on the very rich side). Boring and stroking - well not sure, most work I see done is with porting mods and other little tweaks. PS Nitro Mods do some pretty amazing work on that front.

Losi 3.4 is a small block, with round 2hp. I've only heard good things about them, but I don't think they are made any longer. If it breaks, I'm sure a Dynamite .19 or O.S. .21 would be great replacement if you couldn't find parts or repair it.
Thank you brother! I'll have to look into the porting prospects then. And yea man everybody acts like Nitro is out of the question in the winter but an engines and engine man! I think I understand now why they say it though; after seeing what you said about the foil, it's all about keeping the head hot enough, to keep the glow plug hot enough, to ignite the mixture! Hah! Thank you!

I would keep it Nitro. Like johnnydmd said, tuning isn’t difficult, especially with your understanding of engines. The sound and smoke from a Nitro engine are awesome. Have fun 😎

If Nitro is your jam then keep it nitro and just get another electric kit if you want to play around with those. The Losi 3.4 should be a good engine. I've never used that one in particular but I have used several of their .26 and .28 big blocks so I'm assuming the .21 is good too.

As for the ROSS, yeah that system was garbage right a long with the Traxxas EZ start imo. Most dudes I knew 10 years ago when those systems frist came out would immediately take them off their kits. Not just cuz they were junk waiting to break but also because the system was also fairly heavy for its size.

As for winter running you can absolutely but if you live where it gets super cold then not only wrapping the head in foil but using a heat gun to get the engine warmed up may be necessary too.

Keep it nitro, you don't want to ruin the chance to buy a electric... :p

Back