Building Ol Glory

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzle67

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
So.. Once the wife found my new old toy, with good reason I had to "cleanup" the truck. I am totally fine with it. Now a days a visual sign can mean a lot in good or bad ways. Versus repaint I simply razored it off. Looking to build my rig to be reliable and fun. So far its a whole lot of fun. Aluminum arms and better tires and wheels are first on the list.

That battery burner has been updated with new RPM front arm and 1/8 scale tires. Just got a set of lipos for it so it will go BL here soon.

20201219_164656.jpg
20210206_144335.jpg

nice rigs! love seeing those rc10gts coming out of hiding, still a pretty timeless iconic truck, what engine does it have in it? looks to be the AE .15, but can't quite tell for sure.
so far my favorite ST tires have been the PL gladiators, but getting harder to find, the trencher 2.2s look pretty nice though, and i know are popular for the larger trucks.

nice rigs! love seeing those rc10gts coming out of hiding, still a pretty timeless iconic truck, what engine does it have in it? looks to be the AE .15, but can't quite tell for sure.
so far my favorite ST tires have been the PL gladiators, but getting harder to find, the trencher 2.2s look pretty nice though, and i know are popular for the larger trucks.
Thanks for the ideas on tires. It is powered by AE.15 its a beast. Just wants to go. I want like 2 more RC10. Its a great truck.

lol i dont know if even 100 rc10gts would be enough, yeah that AE .15 is a beast of a motor, even witht he venturi insert still a lot for these trucks, right now my gt has a picco .12 in it, but hvae a AE .15 ready to drop in when its time. i have my build thread in the "rc Garage and projects" section, i really recommend you make one as well, helps collect your thoughts and ideas on the build process and makes good notes for reasons why and or why not to do things :)

So very true. I have been trying to land a SC10 GT. Different body same nitro. For an old car the parts supply is still good. I may start from the chassis up for a new RC10.

I have 17 rc10gt and the best motor is Os .18cvr. I can pull wheelies all day. PL trenchers are the best tire for the $$. Sadly engines are getting hard to find now. I have all 3 style chassis. I like the black tub the best but gearing is limited 14 and 15 tooth clutch bells. I made a new custom motor mount that will accept bigger clutch 15-19 bells with the stock 66 tooth spur gear.

Last edited:
@monstertruckier15 lucky. Let me know if you want to part with one. Lol. I am good to the motor. I pray it last a long time.
I won't part anything . I have Tons of parts and engines stored away. I bought cheap before the pandemic. I could buy a new Os .18crv for less $100new. Now $250 or more. Trucks as cheap as $75 with a motor. Now $150 and up. o_O

I have 30 kyosho 1/8 scale with tons of spares too.
Usa-1 nitro crusher
Burns
Turbo burns
Burns dx
Inferno
Inferno dx
Inferno St
The old stuff just hold up!

So very true. I have been trying to land a SC10 GT. Different body same nitro. For an old car the parts supply is still good. I may start from the chassis up for a new RC10.
i do believe the sc10gt was based on the rc10gt2 platform, i dont know if there is any differences with the wheelbase or not that will make any difference, but body mounts etc might need to be customized.
definitely post some pictures up with progress!

A couple days old pic. But if it visible you can see a very dirty chassis and overall dirty rig.

Attachments

• 20210206_144433.jpg
    20210206_144433.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 96
At work I utilize tools and cleaning supplies to get my rig ready for the dirt again. Yes those are paper clips holding the body on. I am sure many can relate on how they always disappear.

Attachments

• 20210210_125410.jpg
    20210210_125410.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210210_125329.jpg
    20210210_125329.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 102
@monstertruckier15. Like my title in this forum says "newbie". What is this that your talking about and why should i need it. I would ultimately have one controller for my 4 vehicles. I am trying to figure that out. The way the truck is now is how I got it last month.

The fail safe prevents run away if signal or low battery is lost. It will stop the truck. Defiantly a must have for nitro and gas. To get a radio with more model memory is a nice thing to have. Can't do it with AM. Only FM and 2.4 radios. I only run FM and 2.4. 2.4 radios have fail safe features FM doesn't.

@monstertruckier15. I see. I have wanted to put a kill switch in but have found stopping the flywheel works good. I will look into that as well as the 2.4 radios and receivers. Thanks
It doesn't stop the motor. You would need a nitro kill switch to do that. The fail safe prevents a signal loss which can causes the truck to take off on you with no control. It puts on the brake and stops a runaway and if low voltage happen it doesn't run away on you.

@monstertruckier15. I see. I have wanted to put a kill switch in but have found stopping the flywheel works good. I will look into that as well as the 2.4 radios and receivers. Thanks
they arent neccesarily a kill switch in the sense it will stop the motor, but it returns the servos to "idle" or "brake" position depending on how you set it up, so if it looses signal it doesn't hold wide open throttle, you will have to set it up with the controller and typically says how to in the manual.
i definitely recommend getting a 2.4ghz radio, many options out there and less of a chance of interference.
many options to chose from, from a cheaper FlySky setup, to some nice Futaba models. do keep in mind, the radio is the only thing that links you to the car, definitely be price minded, but dont "cheap out" too much.
read through your first post again, and just wanted to say, i do not recommend using aluminum A-arms if you are going to run it much, aluminum will start breaking more in-board parts like bulkheads and stuff. plastic has a slight amount of flex where it can kind of bounce off and absorb impacts, aluminum is solid and wont give and when it does the arm is bent and done for, or the chassis components have snapped.

@D3MON. So if I could stock up on components that would be a safer and better way to go then. So far I am losing the the little 1/8 E clips. I almost lost a front knuckle today burning through a tank at lunch. Also something to stock up on. I have noticed some screw have loosened up. I am getting into the habit of doing a nut and bolt check before I run.

@monstertruckier15. I figured since I am growing my garage. It would make sense to get a good radio and one that can be used over a variety of cars and setups. I only use my electric cars right now when my nitro is down in repair.

Back