Servo twitching when breaking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how it is setup on mine. My friend who gave me this didn’t build like this but it can stock from the factory

Is that pic showing the brake being on an applied?
If not ,an that is in neutral ,then the horn needs to be taken off an moved over a tooth!
That spring is not suppose to have any tension on it while the servo is in neutral position!

Last edited:
Now the car is freaking out. The throttle is stuck and it doesn’t sense my remote and the wheel or the front servo is twister all the way until it can’t move.
Now the car is freaking out. The throttle is stuck and it doesn’t sense my remote and the wheel or the front servo is twister all the way until it can’t move.
If not ,an that is in neutral ,then the horn needs to be taken off an moved over a tooth!
That spring is not suppose to have any tension on it while the servo is in neutral position!
Not sure if it was in neutral but i believe it was

Attachments

• 2E5885D3-AE7F-4D47-BAE5-0A5A6E68D5E0.jpeg
    2E5885D3-AE7F-4D47-BAE5-0A5A6E68D5E0.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 33

Not sure if it was in neutral but i believe it was

Might also be a bad servo shorting out ,,I had that happen to where the wire shorted out causing a glitch ,
the wire got caught up in the running gear!
It is very hard to diagnose things by typing words on a forum!..🤦‍♂️😂

Might also be a bad servo shorting out ,,I had that happen to where the wire shorted out causing a glitch ,
the wire got caught up in the running gear!
It is very hard to diagnose things by typing words on a forum!..🤦‍♂️😂
I let the car settle down for around 5 minutes and it’s not freaking out anymore but has the problem with the breaking
I can confirm 100% that’s it’s in neutral
Should I just buy new servos and not bother to fix the old ones? They are almost 15 years old

Ok, so you've connected everything properly (I take it you also made sure to plug everything into the right channels), turned the radio on first, then the receiver, ect. try doing the same test somewhere else, there may have been radio interference from another appliance, unlikely, especially with the 2.4ghz stuff, but worth a shot. Also, try it with a fully charged battery, the pack you were using may have been low, and the receiver was operating on a low voltage, so it couldn't supply enough power to the servo to keep it fully locked on the disk rotor.

Also, try re-binding the RX/TX, that'd might have been the issue, and calibrate the servo or something. Usually, you calibrate the ESC, but since that's a nitro, it doesn't have an ESC, so...I don't know if you can calibrate a servo, I think some high-end servos can do that.

But also, set the servo end points, start by taking off the throttle/brake servo horn (just unscrew and take off the horn, no need to take the horn out of the entire car, then the turn the RX on, then the TX, don't touch the brake or steering. Go to your throttle/brake servo's trim, and set the trim to 0%, dead center, so the servo isn't biased to either side. Set the steering dual rate to 100% for now.

Now you're gonna put the servo horn back onto the the servo, but try to put it on as straight up as you can, perpendicular to one of the servo case's long sides, on some cars, depending on how the steering/throttle/brake linkage is designed, you want the horn at a slight angle, but on most cars you want it perpendicular to the servo housing, or chassis, if your servo sits flat on it's long side on the chassis. The car and radio should be on during this step BTW. Then reattach any linkages and rods you took off to take the servo horn off, trim the servo, then set the dual rate/endpoints (basically, you don't want to servo to be straining to push or pull the linkage when the linkage is maxed out, only have the servo push/pull till right before the linkage bottoms out, @cbaker65 posted a video about setting EPA above, by Amain Hobbies).

This video shows what I mean, plus he's using the same radio as you!

Oh, and make sure your servo is in good condition, and not worn out or stripped. Sorry for the long-winded reply!

Edit: And welcome to the forum! If you haven't, feel free to check out my RCT Member Location Map Thread (shameless plug 🤣🤣)!
It’s still twitching even without the other part

Attachments

• 54F44FFB-F612-4B11-B1A4-06B61505929A.jpeg
    54F44FFB-F612-4B11-B1A4-06B61505929A.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 28

Yea ,I was going to mention maybe you should buy new servo's!
I've also had to deal with old glitchy servo's myself here just recently ,after
getting back in the hobby after a 10 year stretch ,I found that my old servo's
are worn an glitchy ,in fact ,I think I actually have a vid of one doing a glitch dance!..😂
I too have been needing new updated servo's!

By the way ,that Gt2 is a wanted car an is sought after ,nice car!..😍👍

Yea ,I was going to mention maybe you should buy new servo's!
I've also had to deal with old glitchy servo's myself here just recently ,after
getting back in the hobby after a 10 year stretch ,I found that my old servo's
are worn an glitchy ,in fact ,I think I actually have a vid of one doing a glitch dance!..😂
I too have been needing new updated servo's!

By the way ,that Gt2 is a wanted car an is sought after ,nice car!..😍👍
Is there a link you can send for me to GT2 because aren’t some servos bigger or smaller than others? I’m new to nitro cars so it’s really complex for me. I am on a budget but I need something with quality.

Is there a link you can send for me to GT2 because aren’t some servos bigger or smaller than others? I’m new to nitro cars so it’s really complex for me. I am on a budget but I need something with quality.

You only need standard size servo's an yea ,there is some good quality budget servo's out there ,I don't have a
site ,but you could buy a good steering servo an put your old steering servo for your throttle!
It is the steering servo that most people upgrade first ,they go for a most stronger torque & faster steering
servo which they can exceed up to 50 on up to a 100 bucks ,but some can be had for about 40 for a decent
one!..😎

Last edited:
You only need standard size servo's an yea ,there is some good quality budget servo's out there ,I don't have a
site ,but you could buy a good steering servo an put your old steering servo for your throttle!
It is the steering throttle that most people upgrade first ,they go for a most stronger torque & faster steering
servo which they can exceed up to 50 on up to a 100 bucks ,but some can be had for about 40 for a decent
one!..😎
Thank you!!! :D

Thank you!!! :D

No problem!..👍

There is of course some things you should know about picking & choosing the right servo though!
There is regular standard high torque metal gear servo an there is high torque HV metal gear servo's ,
HV are high voltage an are power hungry ,some people or racers use them so they can use a higher
power receiver battery like a Lipo or a LiFe battery!
I use Lipo in my race buggy in which I run HV servo's for throttle & steering ,they cost a $100.00 bucks
a piece!
But so you know ,you don't need the HV version ,you only need the high torque one!..👍

your going to want to do a simple internet search on the so called bad servo and get a similar strength servo with the same travel ..like 90 degrees or whatever it is.. a 1/10 scale servo should work but id also look at demission's b4 buying. amazon has some good servo ..also tooth count will help a new person..i still dont think a new servo will fix op issue but you took this over..lol

Dud you try the other things I suggested? If you did, and it still twitches, I'd say get a new servo! Make sure to get one that will fit, and has enough torque/power/speed!
No problem!..👍

There is of course some things you should know about picking & choosing the right servo though!
There is regular standard high torque metal gear servo an there is high torque HV metal gear servo's ,
HV are high voltage an are power hungry ,some people or racers use them so they can use a higher
power receiver battery like a Lipo or a LiFe battery!
I use Lipo in my race buggy in which I run HV servo's for throttle & steering ,they cost a $100.00 bucks
a piece!
But so you know ,you don't need the HV version ,you only need the high torque one!..👍
I just had a thought, can you run an HV servo on a normal voltage receiver? I would guess so, but at lower torque and speed?

The servo in my buggy cost me $10 (might have been $11 actually, now it's $12) and it's great! 🤣🤣 It's 1/10 of the price, but that partially because it's a smaller, 17g servo, not a 1/10 (my buggy is 1/14 scale), it's not brushless, but it does have metal gears, good torque, and great speed! Stall torque at 6v is 3.5kg, 0.11 seconds/60 degrees. I don't know how that compares to your servo (of course, yours is a lot stronger), but it moves the smaller wheels with ease!
I’ve tried to loosen the throttle rod and it’s not moving more like stuck there. I'm not sure what to do because I don’t want to force it which could break it. Gotta tell ya rc cars can be fun but also a pain in the ass
Oh yeah, they are super fun, but some things like parts not fitting, specific part breaking repeatidly, diagnosing strange issues, ect. can be frustrating! just step back, take a breather, eat a snack or something, and come back! The forums and Youtube are also very helpful, and don't forget your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) can probably help you too! Oh, and yeah, you're right about the forcing part, don't force anything!
How do I do that then? I’ve watched the videos and they have the remotes with a LCD screen and they can just trim it there but when I tried to loosen the black little circle next to the rubber it didn’t move at all
I sent you a video earlier with a racer demonstrating setting the end points and stuff, he used your radio, as well as a race one, check it out!
This is exactly how it looks

No it doesn’t twitch
Where you gonna send a pic maybe? :)

Last edited:
Dud you try the other things I suggested? If you did, and it still twitches, I'd say get a new servo! Make sure to get one that will fit, and has enough torque/power/speed!

I just had a thought, can you run an HV servo on a normal voltage receiver? I would guess so, but at lower torque and speed?

The servo in my buggy cost me $10 (might have been $11 actually, now it's $12) and it's great! 🤣🤣 It's 1/10 of the price, but that partially because it's a smaller, 17g servo, not a 1/10 (my buggy is 1/14 scale), it's not brushless, but it does have metal gears, good torque, and great speed! Stall torque at 6v is 3.5kg, 0.11 seconds/60 degrees. I don't know how that compares to your servo (of course, yours is a lot stronger), but it moves the smaller wheels with ease!

Oh yeah, they are super fun, but some things like parts not fitting, specific part breaking repeatidly, diagnosing strange issues, ect. can be frustrating! just step back, take a breather, eat a snack or something, and come back! The forums and Youtube are also very helpful, and don't forget your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) can probably help you too! Oh, and yeah, you're right about the forcing part, don't force anything!

I sent you a video earlier with a racer demonstrating setting the end points and stuff, he used your radio, as well as a race one, check it out!

Yea ,most new style receiver can handle them with the 7.4 2's Lipo!..👍
I run the HV Reedy for throttle & HV 458 Send-it servo for steering with Speky 315 rec. on
a 7.4 2's rec. battery!..😎

I already sent the picture but now whenever i turn on the car both of the servos are freaking out and doing stuff that shouldn’t be happening 😂

Attachments

• D25FB068-DF36-4549-8488-A011665BF398.jpeg
    D25FB068-DF36-4549-8488-A011665BF398.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 21
your going to want to do a simple internet search on the so called bad servo and get a similar strength servo with the same travel ..like 90 degrees or whatever it is.. a 1/10 scale servo should work but id also look at demission's b4 buying. amazon has some good servo ..also tooth count will help a new person..i still dont think a new servo will fix op issue but you took this over..lol
what would you do then?
Receiver batteries charged up?..🤔
fully charged brand new batteries

Sometimes old servo's go bad ,even after they had sit for a long time ,any old grease inside them
will harden up or depend how the model was stored like in a moister climate can cause components
to fail ,I've had servo's do that after sitting a long time then trying to fire them up!
You can try something like these!..👍

https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Digital-Waterproof-DS3218MG-Control/dp/B076CNKQX4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=204XML2XM5EJH&keywords=Servo's&qid=1650578022&sprefix=servo's,aps,141&sr=8-2
can that work for throttle and break too? or only steering?

can that work for throttle and break too? or only steering?
yea ,I sometimes use steering servo's or high torque servo for throttle ,if you aren't really doing
any hard bashing or you are just doing street & parking lot street runs ,then you don't need any
fancy heavy duty servo!..👍

Back