Use old servos with new Rc RX?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
Hello again, Its been a long time since I used RC gear.

I have been 'gifted' (almost) an old RC car with 27MHz RX and servos but no transmitter. I am happy to buy a new low cost TX/RX, but I was wondering whether I can use the old servos with the new gear? Servos are Futaba S3003 and Acoms AS-11.
The servo plugs (female) look like they would fit a modern RX. Are they generally compatible?

I only need one channel just to operate the throttle on an IC engine so a big powerful servo isn't required.

Perhaps I should just buy a complete new RC set.

Also I am looking to power the RX from small LI ion cells to save space and weight, are modern RX systems reasonably tolerant of being supplied from two Li ion cells in series, which would certainly be greater than the old 5V-6V systems which I remember. I guess two Li Ion would be nominally 7.4V, I could install a small linear voltage regulator, but I could do without the extra complication.

Thanks for the tip @tntproof I'll buy one of those, more efficient and cheaper than anything I would have built!

you could use a Zeiner diode at 4.7 to 5 volts at the correct wattage but if memory serves me correct they are like $=$ each id use 2 one on + side to servos one on neg side to be safe. the s3003 was a piece got rid of those ASAP back in the day

Cheers for the ideas, I have bought a UBEC, we shall see how that performs!
I now have another more taxing challenge, but I will open a new thread for that.

My new servo arrived this morning, despite checking the dimensions in the advert at least twice it is surprisingly tiny*

Oh well it should fit in really easily 😁

*compared to my old 1970’s futaba waterproof servos!
Now I need my new TX and RX to arrive and I can have a play. It’s like being a kid again 🤪

Back