Dual servo suggestions for ax10 scorpion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlcurry92

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
We recently got this neat little black and green rig, for my daughter, in a bundle deal with other rigs and ryft parts. Recently discovered it’s the ax10 scorpion! It just needed a remote and receiver. But we ended up getting it a new 2 n 1 esc motor as well. For the remote and receiver we went with the dx3. But forgot the scorpion has traxxas servos on the front and back. So those won’t work with this receiver. What would you guys recommend for servos for the front and back? Preferably a budget friendly ones.

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

We recently got this neat little black and green rig, for my daughter, in a bundle deal with other rigs and ryft parts. Recently discovered it’s the ax10 scorpion! It just needed a remote and receiver. But we ended up getting it a new 2 n 1 esc motor as well. For the remote and receiver we went with the dx3. But forgot the scorpion has traxxas servos on the front and back. So those won’t work with this receiver. What would you guys recommend for servos for the front and back? Preferably a budget friendly ones.

View attachment 187201

View attachment 187202
If you want cheap, these Amazon servos aren't terrible.
ANNIMOS Pack of 2 RC Servo 35KG Steering Servo 7.4V Digital Motor Stainless Steel Gear High Torque Waterproof for DIY Robotic RC Cars https://a.co/d/f0K2urR

And those Traxxas servos will work with any receiver. They are just really terrible servos, especially for a crawler.

Last edited:
If you want cgeap, these Amazon servos aren't terrible.
ANNIMOS Pack of 2 RC Servo 35KG Steering Servo 7.4V Digital Motor Stainless Steel Gear High Torque Waterproof for DIY Robotic RC Cars https://a.co/d/f0K2urR

And those Traxxas servos will work with any receiver. They are just really terrible servos, especially for a crawler.
They won’t plug into the receiver that came with the dx3. And when I looked it up online it said spektrum stuff won’t work with traxxas? Is there a way to get them to plug into the receiver? Figured since they weren’t very good servos we’d just get different ones.

Oh and I forgot to mention, she would like to have some speed. Nothing too crazy of course but doesn’t want it to be super slow.

Chewy is right. The Futaba connectors have a tab on one side that prevents you from plugging them in backwards. Here is the Futaba style, and the new style JR connector.
images.png

Somewhere along the way, some dumbass decided we don't need no stinking tab, and some time after that a bunch of idiots decided that was a good idea. Probably the Chinese manufacturers 😉

So now we have to deal with helping people know which way to plug their servo connectors in 😜

I was unaware the Traxxas servos had the Futaba J connectors. Every Traxxas servo I get goes straight in the garbage. But as Chewy said, you can shave that tab off there. It's the same connector otherwise.

And leave it to Horizon (Spektrum) to be dumbasses as well and remove the notch from their receiver sockets so you can't use Futaba style connectors. Wow! Morons!

Just in case you don't know...
Untitled184_20240403210204.png

Last edited:

Here is what the plugs look like on the servos next to the receiver.

IMG_1122.jpeg

Ok well give that a try. We were worried since it didn’t fit it wouldn’t be compatible in voltage and fry the receiver.
No. It's just the different connector. All servos work with all receivers.

What is your budget for a pair of servos? They can be $20 each or $300 each. Just depends on how crazy you want to get.

No. It's just the different connector. All servos work with all receivers.
Awesome! Probably still get new ones ordered, but use these till the new ones come in. My daughter has been itching to use this one since her bday party a couple weeks ago.

Awesome! Probably still get new ones ordered, but use these till the new ones come in. My daughter has been itching to use this one since her bday party a couple weeks ago.
Cool beans. Don't forget what I told ya about those shocks 😉

Here's how they are supposed to look.
Untitled186_20240403211648.png

We agree! Thanks for that hot tip.
If you move those upper mounting points more towards the middle of those hole patterns, it might give ya some more droop. Droop is when the shocks are compressed just sitting still. Full droop = shocks are bottomed out. Crawlers do well with lots of droop, or even full droop. You don't need the springs to absorb the bumps in the road because you're just crawling 😉

Drive it and and see how it does. It's definitely a cool looking rig!

Oh. One other thing. The front upper links look to be causing the front axle to be leaning forward. I'd move this link to the hole with the arrow. That is if the motor doesn't hit them.
Screenshot_20240403_215124.jpg

I dunno though. Something looks strange with that front axle.

Last edited:
If you move those upper mounting points more towards the middle of those hole patterns, it might give ya some more droop. Droop is when the shocks are compressed just sitting still. Full droop = shocks are bottomed out. Crawlers do well with lots of droop, or even full droop. You don't need the springs to absorb the bumps in the road because you're just crawling 😉

Drive it and and see how it does. It's definitely a cool looking rig!

Oh. One other thing. The front upper links look to be causing the front axle to be leaning forward. I'd move this link to the hole with the arrow. That is if the motor doesn't hit them.
View attachment 187211

I dunno though. Something looks strange with that front axle.
It can’t get moved lower unfortunately bc of how they are attached and the motor being mounted there as well. Doesn’t leave much room. When we upgrade the links they will have different ends to make it easier to do such adjustments.

It can’t get moved lower unfortunately bc of how they are attached and the motor being mounted there as well. Doesn’t leave much room. When we upgrade the links they will have different ends to make it easier to do such adjustments.
Looking at the pic I posted earlier, it looks like the upper links are supposed to mount there. Makes sense anyway. I just wonder if they put links on there that are too long 🤔

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how well it performs. It's an awesome truck.

Looking at the pic I posted earlier, it looks like the upper links are supposed to mount there. Makes sense anyway. I just wonder if they put links on there that are too long 🤔

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how well it performs. It's an awesome truck.
I believe the links are all original but the chassis doesn’t allow as much clearance for the links to go where they would normally sit.
I’ll take a video when we take it for a spin!

I believe the links are all original but the chassis doesn’t allow as much clearance for the links to go where they would normally sit.
I’ll take a video when we take it for a spin!
You're making me want to build one.

Back