Scx24 bad idea log

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_ranch

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
For the record, I acknowledge that I have a thing for scx24's.

Some stuff that always ends up on my trucks-

Brass front pumpkin covers and brass knuckles. Every brand I've tried works great, but I kinda gravitate to samix. They're cooler.

Metal beadlocks- I have a couple sets of rc4wd wagons, flipped, of course. They suck to build. The treals are way easier to build, but they let the rock lox beads out once in awhile. They pretty, too. The injoras weren't bad to build, I like the look. We'll see how they run. I also have plastic beadlocks, but they're too light for how I drive my crawlers. They look cool, though, so I put scramblers on a set for the mofo cage build.

Gspeed rails- ❤ them. They're magic on my trucks (except the jeep). $20 well spent.

Coda extended hexes rule. Now I can loctite my wheel nuts. I don't lose wheel nuts or drive pins anymore. Nylocks just wear out too fast. Also, I get noticeably better sidehilling, and some lower weight for cog.
If you don't wanna spend the $$ on coda, get brass hexes for the front wheels at a bare minimum. Little weight shifts make big differences at 1/24 scale.

I haven't really found great shocks yet. I flip the stock shocks over, put some grease in there, and ditch the springs on the front. I was running full droop for awhile, but climbing over ledges is more graceful with the rear springs still on. It's subtle, but better. With some added weight, and a low enough center of gravity (cog), you get away with some bounciness in the back end.

Outrunners for everything! I had a Holmes 380 in Taco at first (fried it, gotta send it back. They say they can fix it ❤). It was disgustingly torquey. I have a little 1400kv airplane outrunner for the basher. Surpass 2204 is my favorite. There's one in Taco, I'm a fan. There are a few of them in the drawer. Most are 1400kv. There'll be one in the white truck this weekend.
There'll be one in the Humvee that I start after I get the basher dialed.

And last, but definitely not least- Furitek esc's are life changing. They're worth every penny. The low end control is better than my capra's mamba x/slate combo (but it's a capra, so...) The copperhead/bigass Holmes outrunner in trash6 is in the same league. At $220 it should be. The furitek/surpass combo is less than half that.

Tires. Rabbit hole.
RC4WD-
Slingers- rule, but they're huge! They totally mess with your center of gravity, so they don't work on all rigs.
Scramblers- same as ^^, but they don't quite give me that "cat on carpet" feel like the slingers do.
Rock lox, rock creepers- tiny. actually work better than slingers on lighter/taller trucks. My jeep does way better with these little jobbers. They both work kinda the same on my terrain, which is great, by the way.
Wranglers- my least favorite of their tires. Just didn't work as well for me.
I want to try out the Patagonias soon, too. I hear good things.
Other brands-
Cr18 trailfinders are also legit. I'm still testing the injoras.
Stock tires on the truck are OK; not so much on the jeep.

Current trucks/projects-

Taco - in it's preferred environment. The buffalo jump has sick boulders for these little buggers.
20210423_190157.jpg

How it got it's name
20210328_212551.jpg

Surpass got some torque. Stingers got some grip.

The jeep - not real far from stock setup, but hours and hours of tuning later, it'll monkey up most lines with treal wheels and rc4wd rock locks. I just put a set of the 1" injoras on it with their hyrax knockoff tires. They seem a little firm at first. We'll get some scale miles on em and see if they work as good as the rc4wd's...
20210511_195144.jpg

With the new kicks
20210731_172125.jpg

And like every other 24 I have, it'll probably end up with a surpass in it when the stock one dies. I'll have to order another 3s furitek for it.

There's a bouncer coming, as soon as I pick up more motor mount screws and fab some shock standoffs for the 1/16 ecx shocks. Surely a bad idea.
20210604_222348.jpg

Mofo chassis, Shaka wheels, little outrunner, hw 3s esc, batt up front. I kinda want to build this as basher...

And the truck that started it all
20201004_194106.jpg
20201006_163001.jpg
20201006_163019.jpg
20201006_163027.jpg

With machetes & cr18 trailfinders up front- no foams, and the stock rears, I got some redneck overdrive, and this thing was magic. It pulled monster lines for it's size. As good as this wheel/tire cocktail was, beadlocks are better. Period. Once I added the rc4wd wheels on this thing it became the truck to beat with my local 1/24 buddies. I think I had it about as good as I could get it for stock electronics & motor.

I laid out a couple to work on this weekend. The OG might get goblin rails (didn't help the jeep at all, neither did the gspeed rails), and definitely getting the monster power upgrade (Furitek Tegu, and a 2204 1400kv outrunner). I'll likely go full p-wagon on it and cut the rest of the front fenders off so I can drop the body lower. Hard shells are heavy. Basically, it has to kick tacos butt before I call it built.
20210902_220220.jpg

There they are. More will surely follow...

I totally get it. I didn't know what to expect when I got my first one. Now I want 20 of them, with all different configurations. I really love the rock bouncer idear there. Didn't even know that was a thing!

As for the Furitek ESC, is there a way to weed the stock ESC out of the OEM board and just leave the receiver? My kid really loves the little stock Tx, so I am kinda wanting to try to leave the stock reciever in and 3d print a box to fit the modified board in along with the Furitek. This sounds like a problem @Greywolf74 Could figure out.

Some stuff that always ends up on my trucks-

Brass front pumpkin covers and brass knuckles. Every brand I've tried works great, but I kinda gravitate to samix. They're cooler.

Metal beadlocks- I have a couple sets of rc4wd wagons, flipped, of course. They suck to build. The treals are way easier to build, but they let the rock lox beads out once in awhile. They pretty, too. The injoras weren't bad to build, I like the look. We'll see how they run. I also have plastic beadlocks, but they're too light for how I drive my crawlers. They look cool, though, so I put scramblers on a set for the mofo cage build.

Gspeed rails- ❤ them. They're magic on my trucks (except the jeep). $20 well spent.

Coda extended hexes rule. Now I can loctite my wheel nuts. I don't lose wheel nuts or drive pins anymore. Nylocks just wear out too fast. Also, I get noticeably better sidehilling, and some lower weight for cog.
If you don't wanna spend the $$ on coda, get brass hexes for the front wheels at a bare minimum. Little weight shifts make big differences at 1/24 scale.

I haven't really found great shocks yet. I flip the stock shocks over, put some grease in there, and ditch the springs on the front. I was running full droop for awhile, but climbing over ledges is more graceful with the rear springs still on. It's subtle, but better. With some added weight, and a low enough center of gravity (cog), you get away with some bounciness in the back end.

Outrunners for everything! I had a Holmes 380 in Taco at first (fried it, gotta send it back. They say they can fix it ❤). It was disgustingly torquey. I have a little 1400kv airplane outrunner for the basher. Surpass 2204 is my favorite. There's one in Taco, I'm a fan. There are a few of them in the drawer. Most are 1400kv. There'll be one in the white truck this weekend.
There'll be one in the Humvee that I start after I get the basher dialed.

And last, but definitely not least- Furitek esc's are life changing. They're worth every penny. The low end control is better than my capra's mamba x/slate combo (but it's a capra, so...) The copperhead/bigass Holmes outrunner in trash6 is in the same league. At $220 it should be. The furitek/surpass combo is less than half that.

Tires. Rabbit hole.
RC4WD-
Slingers- rule, but they're huge! They totally mess with your center of gravity, so they don't work on all rigs.
Scramblers- same as ^^, but they don't quite give me that "cat on carpet" feel like the slingers do.
Rock lox, rock creepers- tiny. actually work better than slingers on lighter/taller trucks. My jeep does way better with these little jobbers. They both work kinda the same on my terrain, which is great, by the way.
Wranglers- my least favorite of their tires. Just didn't work as well for me.
I want to try out the Patagonias soon, too. I hear good things.
Other brands-
Cr18 trailfinders are also legit. I'm still testing the injoras.
Stock tires on the truck are OK; not so much on the jeep.

Current trucks/projects-

Taco - in it's preferred environment. The buffalo jump has sick boulders for these little buggers.
View attachment 131956
How it got it's name
View attachment 131957
Surpass got some torque. Stingers got some grip.

The jeep - not real far from stock setup, but hours and hours of tuning later, it'll monkey up most lines with treal wheels and rc4wd rock locks. I just put a set of the 1" injoras on it with their hyrax knockoff tires. They seem a little firm at first. We'll get some scale miles on em and see if they work as good as the rc4wd's...
View attachment 131958
With the new kicks
View attachment 131961
And like every other 24 I have, it'll probably end up with a surpass in it when the stock one dies. I'll have to order another 3s furitek for it.

There's a bouncer coming, as soon as I pick up more motor mount screws and fab some shock standoffs for the 1/16 ecx shocks. Surely a bad idea.
View attachment 131962
Mofo chassis, Shaka wheels, little outrunner, hw 3s esc, batt up front. I kinda want to build this as basher...

And the truck that started it all
View attachment 131963View attachment 131964View attachment 131965View attachment 131966
With machetes & cr18 trailfinders up front- no foams, and the stock rears, I got some redneck overdrive, and this thing was magic. It pulled monster lines for it's size. As good as this wheel/tire cocktail was, beadlocks are better. Period. Once I added the rc4wd wheels on this thing it became the truck to beat with my local 1/24 buddies. I think I had it about as good as I could get it for stock electronics & motor.

I laid out a couple to work on this weekend. The OG might get goblin rails (didn't help the jeep at all, neither did the gspeed rails), and definitely getting the monster power upgrade (Furitek Tegu, and a 2204 1400kv outrunner). I'll likely go full p-wagon on it and cut the rest of the front fenders off so I can drop the body lower. Hard shells are heavy. Basically, it has to kick tacos butt before I call it built.
View attachment 131960

There they are. More will surely follow...
Hell yeah man!!! Looking good bud.
Definitely need to get a couple of them my self for the cold weather ahead...nice over veiw of the Mods and parts for the little guys👍👍

Hell yeah man!!! Looking good bud.
Definitely need to get a couple of them my self for the cold weather ahead...nice over veiw of the Mods and parts for the little guys👍👍
We just need to get you and Wolf to get one and we can get the club started 😜

This sounds like a problem @Greywolf74 Could figure out.
Oh you know that the electric wizard. Can and will probably figure that out for you.. I'm sure you could do the swap of the esc board. You will just have to undolder the board. I would mark whats what and goes where. Shouldn't be a problem.👍👍
100% I'm getting one maybe two or three 🤔 😅 🤣🤣 we can talk wolf into in as well I'm sure👍👍

As for the Furitek ESC, is there a way to weed the stock ESC out of the OEM board and just leave the receiver? My kid really loves the little stock Tx, so I am kinda wanting to try to leave the stock reciever in and 3d print a box to fit the modified board in along with the Furitek. This sounds like a problem @Greywolf74 Could figure out.
Id have to have one and be able to sit down and look at it. I'm not familiar with it at all

I do not see what you guys see in crawlers, especially these micro sized crawlers. Then again that could just be cuz I dont really have any place to crawl. I live in the middle of a concrete jungle. Id have to drive somewhere out of town to even play with them but again they arent that appealing to me. If I was going to get a crawler it would most likely be some sort of MOA comp type crawler but most likely Id only do that if I had a good place to actually practice or compete. Also dont really get in to the whole "scale" thing either. I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to do the scale work but its just not my cup of tea.

Maybe Ill get one and see how fast I can make it go lol

Id have to have one and be able to sit down and look at it. I'm not familiar with it at all

I do not see what you guys see in crawlers, especially these micro sized crawlers. Then again that could just be cuz I dont really have any place to crawl. I live in the middle of a concrete jungle. Id have to drive somewhere out of town to even play with them but again they arent that appealing to me. If I was going to get a crawler it would most likely be some sort of MOA comp type crawler but most likely Id only do that if I had a good place to actually practice or compete. Also dont really get in to the whole "scale" thing either. I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to do the scale work but its just not my cup of tea.

See I was on the same page as you.. Buy the. Realized that with these little 24s. Your house or backyard is a place to crawl.. they are only the size of your smartphone. It's crazy... and they are only about 100$ truck and controller... can't beat that with a stick. For fun in the house or garage during the winter months. 🤣🤣🤣 if you got one you would like it... But I love my 1/10. And 1/5 Rcs that's for sure 100%

I have had a couple crawlers for about 4 years now, but never really enjoyed it because I am in the same boat as you basically. Nothing but flat ground here until recently. But after getting these 24's I am pretty hooked. And Pat is building a bouncer out of one, so there is a way to build em fast. I have just never seen one, so this will be very interesting to see.

Too much good stuff! I think @Pat_ranch just typed up my Christmas list. 😍
I know what you mean. Same here.

@Pat_ranch
So are the Surpass motors a direct bolt in? Or do I need a gear puller, hobby knife, rotary tool, etc to put it in?

Also, the Emax servos look to be so much bigger, and the stock one barely has room to move. Wouldn't this be a better servo?

Powerhobby micro digital servo 13mg
Here are the dimensions for it. It is 6mm shorter, and a little thinner. It has roughly the same torque and speed. All metal gears.
21.3 x 11.5 x 17.6mm

And here are the Emax dimensions
23 x 11.5 x 24mm

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Same here.

@Pat_ranch
So are the Surpass motors a direct bolt in? Or do I need a gear puller, hobby knife, rotary tool, etc to put it in?

Also, the Emax servos look to be so much bigger, and the stock one barely has room to move. Wouldn't this be a better servo?

Powerhobby micro digital servo 13mg
Here are the dimensions for it. It is 6mm shorter, and a little thinner. It has roughly the same torque and speed. All metal gears.
21.3 x 11.5 x 17.6mm

And here are the Emax dimensions
23 x 11.5 x 24mm
I haven't tried that servo, but I do have some little purple jobbers that work well. For the emax, I just run longer screws. It works fine. I did just pick up a reefs 99. I'll prolly put it in Taco soon.
The surpass, and other outrunners need specific motor mounts (usually less than $10). I've gotten them from shapeways, mofo, and Gamy. They bolt onto the factory skid, and work with it forward or reversed. I usually reverse them to get my motor in front for the added foc bias. You shouldn't need to dremel them unless you're pushing some gigantic speed pinion.

I haven't tried that servo, but I do have some little purple jobbers that work well. For the emax, I just run longer screws. It works fine. I did just pick up a reefs 99. I'll prolly put it in Taco soon.
The surpass, and other outrunners need specific motor mounts (usually less than $10). I've gotten them from shapeways, mofo, and Gamy. They bolt onto the factory skid, and work with it forward or reversed. I usually reverse them to get my motor in front for the added foc bias. You shouldn't need to dremel them unless you're pushing some gigantic speed pinion.
Cool. Thanks for the info!

I was just looking at the Tegu ESC and noticed it has non-functional servo and light ports on it. I wonder if they are planning on making it possible to bind the OEM controllers to it, or if they are coming out with their own in a future update.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

I was just looking at the Tegu ESC and noticed it has non-functional servo and light ports on it. I wonder if they are planning on making it possible to bind the OEM controllers to it, or if they are coming out with their own in a future update.
I think you can actually run a 4 wheel steering setup with that controller. And I think there's a light kit on their website too

Those guys are also developing a 10th scale controller that should blow a few minds

I think you can actually run a 4 wheel steering setup with that controller. And I think there's a light kit on their website too

Those guys are also developing a 10th scale controller that should blow a few minds
I just want to stay with the stock controllers because my kid loves it. It fits his hand perfectly. Plus, the tables I have coming tomorrow have a shelf designed to fit them perfectly 😉

I just want to stay with the stock controllers because my kid loves it. It fits his hand perfectly. Plus, the tables I have coming tomorrow have a shelf designed to fit them perfectly 😉
I was talking speed controllers, sorry 🤣
I've heard you can use the factory esc as just a receiver and run a lead from the motor output on that to your other speed controller - whatever kind you want to get. That way your factory esc just runs your servo & lights, and acts as a receiver.

I was talking speed controllers, sorry 🤣
I've heard you can use the factory esc as just a receiver and run a lead from the motor output on that to your other speed controller - whatever kind you want to get. That way your factory esc just runs your servo & lights, and acts as a receiver.
Yeah, the Tegu manual shows that configuration. And Josh from Scale Builders just did a vid on modifying the stock esc to get rid of the box and move some things around. So I will probably go that route.

Last edited:
So proud to be number one again...:cool:
In reality my grandson feels it's more fun to push it with his hands and not use the transmitter.:eek:

Back