SchrodeMode's Axial Wraith

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I don't use internals for anything that's high amp draw, but I can do everything I need (servo, lights, etc) off of one CC BEC pro. My RX runs straight off my ESC, the BEC in it is way more than enough for the tiny draw a RX takes.

Still no servo, and we don't get mail on Fridays, hopefully I get it before I'm off on Monday.

I think I've got this wired up right, I've disconnected the positive wire of the quick connect's "connect to rx" lead. That should be taking the place of the ESC's positive wire, if I wasn't using the quick connect, right?

I'm going to bed, it was a long day, and an even longer one starts in 5 hours....good thing we get free energy drinks.

6F0B42C4-5921-4EE7-8040-17A96EFB22C9_zpsbycjn5is.jpg

C3481839-A70D-4134-91F3-47D51FCA707A_zpsnz7gt2cj.jpg

I'm hoping the "Like" of my previous post means my wiring is correct. I should be getting my servo today, and hopefully I'll be able to get it wired up and put back together tonight. Where have you Wraith owners stuffed your BECs? I'm planning on putting mine behind the dash, at least for now, I may get Da Box and Da Tray pretty soon. I need to get everything ordered before I get home, then the wife may not notice.....as much.

All of my electronics save for the servo winch, and plug for my crawler dad lights are in Da Box, under Da Tray. I have the rear mount version, my battery is up front using a CKRC front battery mount kit. It seemed to allow for the use of bigger packs since it's just a flat plate rather than an enclosed box.

I'm hoping the "Like" of my previous post means my wiring is correct. I should be getting my servo today, and hopefully I'll be able to get it wired up and put back together tonight. Where have you Wraith owners stuffed your BECs? I'm planning on putting mine behind the dash, at least for now, I may get Da Box and Da Tray pretty soon. I need to get everything ordered before I get home, then the wife may not notice.....as much.

I'd also be interested in knowing if that "Like" is justified, part if the reason I went tekin was cause I didn't/don't have a computer to readily ajust things with a castle link, also the reason I keep putting off getting a holmeshobbies ESC/motor combo. Tekin RX8s are mostly programmable without needing a "hotwire".

If you've pulled the +wire from that " quick link" then I presume you plan on sending power to your RX some other way? I do the external BEC thing with all my RX8s, because I've voided the warranty on all of them as soon as they were waterproofed ( Dow conformal coating, silicon based, if your curious), so a lil extra security never hurt anything.

I found Da tray to be somewhat flimsy/weak in spots, I nearly destroyed mine. In my bmrc ifrs wraith I have da box reinforced with a crawler innovations wraith battery tray, da box is just stuck to it with some servo tape, only because its preparation for a winch that pretty much sits directly under where everyone seems to have put the lipo in their pictures in that thread.

Last edited:
Well I got it mostly done, I just need to run the servo and lights wires then close up the rx box. Oh yeah, I also have to wait another week or 2....I didn't order a servo horn because the Hitec came with an aluminum one, too bad it's mounting hole is too small for the bolt on my steering link.

I also wasted about 30 minutes yesterday, I plugged it all up before I mounted anything, just to make sure the Quick Connect was going to work with the BEC and my Field Link. Everything worked fine until I tried my FL, I bypassed the QC and it worked fine. I thought maybe the QC needed power, so I cut off the heat shrink that I had used to cover the red wire and reinstalled it into the plug, and then removed the red wire from my ESC plug before connecting it back to the QC. That didn't work, Google to the rescue but it took forever because about a dozen guys were in our dayroom using all of the Wi-Fi to play some computer game. I finally got Castle's page loaded and read the QC info again, I then remembered what I had read the day before and realized I had just wasted all of that time. The Field Link will not work as a stand alone link with the QC, it has to be conned via a USB cable and PC. I then redid the wires to how they were when I started, and tried it on my laptop.....it worked just fine.

I'd also be interested in knowing if that "Like" is justified, part if the reason I went tekin was cause I didn't/don't have a computer to readily ajust things with a castle link, also the reason I keep putting off getting a holmeshobbies ESC/motor combo. Tekin RX8s are mostly programmable without needing a "hotwire".
It is justified, but the Field Link card doesn't work with the Quick Connect unless you use a PC.

If you've pulled the +wire from that " quick link" then I presume you plan on sending power to your RX some other way?
I've got the BEC plugged into the battery ch on my rx, I get power to my rx, servo, and lights as soon as I plug my battery in. The lights will be a good reminder that I didn't disconnect my battery, plus I can use it as a flashlight now without my ESC beeping to remind me that it's on. :D

Got it all finished up, I tried it out and it cogs so bad. I think it's time to box it up and send it home early.

That sucks, hate to hear that buddy. The only way brushless systems work well for crawling in to use a sensored setup, even then it's not quite as good as brushed. It's close enough for me, but my brushed rigs still have better low speed resolution on the throttle. Now if you're just bashing around, that's a whole different thing. Throw a cheap brushed motor in it, lots of guys run the Traxxas titan motors.

That sucks, hate to hear that buddy. The only way brushless systems work well for crawling in to use a sensored setup, even then it's not quite as good as brushed. It's close enough for me, but my brushed rigs still have better low speed resolution on the throttle. Now if you're just bashing around, that's a whole different thing. Throw a cheap brushed motor in it, lots of guys run the Traxxas titan motors.
That's just trying to go, I have to ease onto the throttle or else it just stutters. It looks like a dog humping a leg if I try crawling up something. I figured I wouldn't be able to crawl anymore, but I was hoping to be able to play around in the sand a little.

What's your gearing at currently? It shouldn't cog that bad I wouldn't think. After some research, it appears that some of the vanguard stuff is just rebadged Castle electronics. Check the firmware on your ESC, and see if there's an update for it. You can also play around with the punch control, and start power to try and minimize the cogging.

What's your gearing at currently? It shouldn't cog that bad I wouldn't think. After some research, it appears that some of the vanguard stuff is just rebadged Castle electronics. Check the firmware on your ESC, and see if there's an update for it. You can also play around with the punch control, and start power to try and minimize the cogging.
It's stock gearing right now, I don't remember what that is though. I was thinking it would be too slow with the 2900kv motor, I almost ordered larger pinions. I had updated the firmware before running it, I'll look into tuning it more with the Castle Link. I may just have to wait until I get home and can throw a 3s pack in there.

Understood, I'd try gearing it way down if you can't adjust it out (you'll never get rid of it completely on a sensorless setup) in the software. Roughly 5 to 1 is a good starting point on gearing, they're known to be high geared stock, try 84/16. I think mine is 12/60 but I'm not running the stock trans either.

Damn! That sucks bud, I use a supershafty bomb proof ax10/scx10 trans, and I gear way taller than that, I use 54/15 mod .8, but I'm sporting a holmeshobbies 540 outrunner, any that thing has something like 12-14 poles.

I hope you get it figured out.

Just ordered some 32p gears, 54t spur along with 9t and 12t pinions. I'll try those with the 3s lipo I threw in the order, if they ship it. If that doesn't work, I'll just go back to brushed because I also went with my original plan and ordered a 27t Axial motor.

Seriously though, this is my last purchase for this thing until after I get home, well at least the last one I'm having shipped here. If this doesn't work, I'm packing it up and sending it home.

Last edited:
Good deal. I honestly think the only way you're going to get what you want is to throw the brushed motor in there. But hey, I could be wrong, it's happened once before. :D This is honestly the reason that I went with a two speed trans, and a sensored brushless setup so I could have the best of both worlds by hitting a switch on the radio. And again, it still isn't quite as good as a brushed motor for all out crawling, but it's close enough that I was willing to make that trade for how it performs in high gear. The Wraith is probably still my favorite RC, simply because of it's versatility.

Man, it's been a year already. I haven't done much with it but the second motor ended up giving out a few months ago. I think the few times I ran it at the end of my deployment let enough of that powder sand in and finally killed it. I looked it over and it'll need a set of screws and bearings, the salt in that sand has destroyed them. I think it's about time I start putting together a wish list for this thing and then start wrenching.