Sanwa Radio Range?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I've seen range test with different radios and RadioLink and Futaba are the performers. One thing I typically don't see is anyone using Sanwa outside of racing. Nothing no bashing, crawling, hooning just racing.

So what's the deal and what is the range of the Sanwa?

Sanwa and Futaba are the top end of the radio offerings. Not sure on the Sanwa range because I don't own one, but I will guarantee you it's farther than you can comfortably drive an RC car.

I have a Sanwa MT-4S. You dont see people using them outside of racing much cuz theyre expensive and so are the RXs lol. I rarely even use mine. I mostly just use a Flysky GT3b for my basher kits. I can't tell you what the max range is though as I dont think my kits typically ever get more than 100 yards or so from me. I've never tried to range test it. Since I quit doing speed runs I havent had a need to find out radio ranges.

That would probably be a ? for a guy name Earl Moorehead on Y-tube ,he uses a signal booster an external battery
on his transmitter!

I was thinking for a speed run radio. I'm only running about 1600 ft total (800 each direction) but others run a full mile (1/2 mile each way) runway with boosters. I doubt I will get to a runway but you never know.

An old school 72 Mhz airplane radio only reaches out a 1/4 mile ,Earl does soccer field speed runs ,
an I dont think it is even a 1/4 mile ,that is why he uses a signal booster ,as I dont think any surface
radio reaches out any farther than each other!..🤔:hehe:

An old school 72 Mhz airplane radio only reaches out a 1/4 mile ,Earl does soccer field speed runs ,
an I dont think it is even a 1/4 mile ,that is why he uses a signal booster ,as I dont think any surface
radio reaches out any farther than each other!..🤔:hehe:
I didn't think of the analog option. I actually have two analog radios. Although they lack the modern features that are nice to have.

Early routinely runs road cars in triple digits.

The Flysky GT3b is good up to a 1/4 mile. Thats what I used to use for speed runs. I believe the Radiolink radio advertises 400m range.

I've always checked my personal new radios with a bright yellow flag attached to a servo on a golf course with a 574 yard fairway and a monoscope

Reading this thread got me to thinking about what might be a suitable distance for a speed run.

Texas Mile event is coming up and their standard is one mile run with one-half mile shut down. Doing the math for 1/10 scale that comes out to 528ft run with 264ft shutdown. For a total distance of 792ft (241m). Seems well within the range limits of RadioLink or Futaba posted by both Jerold and Greywolf.

Have to go out on errands today. I'll stop by my favorite speed run site and pace off the distance. Just curious about LOS (Line-of-Sight) at full distance and at halfway split distance. One of my radio systems is the Futaba 4PLS. I'll do a radio range check on it at that distance just to satisfy my curiosity.

Cheers. 'AC'

O.K., guys. Parked the truck and paced back a scale half-mile shut down and scale mile run course. From the start point 396 paces back from the truck, I couldn't even see a 1/10 scale car with the unaided eye. Even if I could, wouldn't try a speed run at that distance without at least three spotters. One to cover my back, one at mid-course and one at the end. Four would be even better. Preferably the two on course with walkie-talkies or cell connection.

Trust me, it looks just as far at 1:1 as it does in the image. My black truck is out beyond the yellow sign at about mid-image slightly to the right. Second image is from mid-course between scale run and shut down. Still a furr piece either way-but probably doable with younger eyes and quicker reflexes than mine. Again, wouldn't try it without spotter support.

Still need to do a radio range check with the 4PLS. Cheers. 'AC'

20221028_120803_Texas Mile resize.jpg

20221028_121127_Texas Mile resize.jpg

Watch out for those cracks in the road. They send RC's flying into space at high speeds.

O.K., guys. Parked the truck and paced back a scale half-mile shut down and scale mile run course. From the start point 396 paces back from the truck, I couldn't even see a 1/10 scale car with the unaided eye. Even if I could, wouldn't try a speed run at that distance without at least three spotters. One to cover my back, one at mid-course and one at the end. Four would be even better. Preferably the two on course with walkie-talkies or cell connection.

Trust me, it looks just as far at 1:1 as it does in the image. My black truck is out beyond the yellow sign at about mid-image slightly to the right. Second image is from mid-course between scale run and shut down. Still a furr piece either way-but probably doable with younger eyes and quicker reflexes than mine. Again, wouldn't try it without spotter support.

Still need to do a radio range check with the 4PLS. Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 154850

View attachment 154851
Most people run the Limitless/Infraction/Felony platform and it's bit larger than 1/10 scale. But it's still a tiny dot even at 800 ft (the farthest I've run). I can see it but I don't really know which way it's facing until it's starts moving. That's where bright colors and bright LEDs help. Also some of the people have ladders to stand on.

Also what @WickedFog said, watch the cracks. I had to raise my car because my road has some utility covers on it and a road reflector that is just a bit smaller now. 😁
IMG_4584.jpg

Back